Whats the snag with the old 158 ?

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
garth45

Whats the snag with the old 158 ?

Postby garth45 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:24 am

Just wondering why these are being offered at really low prices on the 2nd hand market . I've seen a Scot Rail version as low as £30.00 . The highest price I have seen is around £45.00 . I had one of these when I was in the British scene first time around and they are superb runners . Whilst I am not in the market for one at the moment I am just wondering in terms of Bachmann why they are so cheap . I can only think that they are a pig to convert to DCC or something like that ?

Bigmet

Re: Whats the snag with the old 158 ?

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:50 pm

Like many of the earlier 'Blue Riband' releases, there's no DCC socket, but it is a piece of cake to convert the motor drive to DCC by hardwiring a decoder. Lights, you are on your own making the arrangements for directional switching using the decoder's yellow and white auxiliary outputs. As a project, an ideal start to gain experience: cheap s/h model, ample room inside.

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:46 pm

The price has been depressed by the advent of the new tooling due in the not too distant future. However, the old tooling wasn't too bad and has been said, runs smooth and quiet. If you're on DC, i would look no further - i can't see the new model being sufficiently better to justify the cost. Quite fancy an Arriva one myself.

DCC is a different matter. Chipping the motor is one thing, but getting the lights to work in all the cars is more complicated. Guides exist and are reasonably easy to follow, but you will still have the thorny problem of joining the cars for electrical continuity or whether you go for a separate DCC chip for each car. For a 159, this starts to get pricey.

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:08 pm

The promise of a 'new' 158 has indeed kept the market price down, though the last set of releases were also supposed to be a new DCC ready tooling (according to the catalogues) so I don't know when they'll actually get them on sale.

As noted, DCC fitting is relatively easy on the 158s (and the 159, 166, 170, 171, 220, 221 units), it's just the connecting of coaches you have to think about, I did some with a connector at the gangway door which did (just) allow use round 2nd radius curves and putting them back in the boxes, but you have to alter the actual model to do that sort of thing, two decoders (or three for the three car sets) is the easiest option.

A few of the 158s did suffer from the same "slow running motor problem" that affected some Voyagers (they have the same motor), but it's not the motor that is faulty, it's the gears in the bogies, they are a bit stiff.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

garth45

Postby garth45 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:46 am

Cheers guys. I may take a chance on one if I see it for £30 at the next swap meet. :wink:

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:00 am

Can I be controversial and offer - "horrible prototype which sounded the death knell for many loco hauled services, who would want one of these products of the devil on their layout".

I don't like 158s in any shape or form :(

jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

garth45

Postby garth45 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:58 am

I agree Jim . :D

However if I am doing the railway spanning the period 1985-1994 ish, I will need to include he odd unit on Driver training for completeness . I dare say that once these units come up for replacement interest in them may increase perhaps in the younger generation .

My excuse for running loco hauled trains in the main will be that the units have developed a gearbox problem resulting in the whole class being withdrawn for refit . :D

Well its my railway :lol:

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:16 am

garth45 wrote:I agree Jim . :D

My excuse for running loco hauled trains in the main will be that the units have developed a gearbox problem resulting in the whole class being withdrawn for refit . :D

Given the teething problems with the initial batches, e,g going missing as there was so much leaf mulch on the wheel treads that they didn't activate signalling track circuits (hence the nickname "Scuds"), unreliable air-conditioning systems, platform clearance issues etc etc you don't really need to be creative in reasons to run replacement loco hauled trains!!! :lol:

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

garth45

Postby garth45 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:21 am

It doesn't look like I need a runner either when I buy one :lol:

martin_l_jones

Postby martin_l_jones » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:17 pm

garth45 wrote:Cheers guys. I may take a chance on one if I see it for £30 at the next swap meet. :wink:

Do a search for DDC'ing these on here there are some piccies, can't find the thread myself even tho' I posted it...
No more fotopic, now onto flickr...

Just started to load up my photos and video, see my layout and the real things at..
http://www.youtube.com/user/mljones21
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16645820@N06/6157779077/

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:06 pm

I bought my Arriva 158/2 quite cheaply £48-60 ?? It had a DCC socket and directional
running lights. The windows are all blackened so you can't see in, but if the originals
had smoked glazing then what's wrong with that shortcoming.
Power between cars is via the coupling, rather fiddly and needs great care plugging
together and separating ..... don't think I've broken 1 yet, but bought a spare pack
as to me it was a failure waiting to happen.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Return to “Bachmann”