LMS inspection saloon

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Bufferstop

Re: LMS inspection saloon

Postby Bufferstop » Mon May 12, 2014 10:07 pm

999506 Looks nearest to what I remember, I really only took in the details of the end. It went off down the old Midland line out towards Longbridge. It wasn't going very fast, but if it didn't stop it wouldn't have had much trouble keeping ahead of the Cross City stopping all stations that followed it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Mon May 12, 2014 10:49 pm

Propelling was only done where necessary/convenient, and not at high speeds. Logically, propelling at any significant speed during an inspection rather defeats the point of doing the inspection in the first place. Some of the LMS saloons were fitted with side-control gear to avoid hunting when propelling, the BR ones were not (AFAIK). Keeping them out of the way of faster trains was easier then than now, not being passenger trains they could be shunted into sidings or even run on goods lines where necessary. "Mine" was hauled, we (ok, they) were inspecting fire damage to comms cables caused by Bahamas a few days before, and detailed inspection was done on foot.

These pics indicate 100mph hauled/50mph propelled (!) for an LMS saloon fitted with B4 bogies, and 80mph hauled/20mph propelled for the BR saloon with B1 bogies. I've not found any speeds for LMS saloons with original bogies.

http://www.departmentals.com/photo/45020a

http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/inspec ... #h71b22530
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon May 12, 2014 11:44 pm

Paul Bartlett's picture of 999508 has got the right end detail even down to the independent (hand operated ?) windscreen wipers. If it could have been pushed at 25-30mph it would have had no trouble keeping ahead of the following local. Assuming it wasn't bound for the Lickey Incline, the start of the single track Redditch Branch provides a reversing point at Barnt Green.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Tue May 13, 2014 12:08 am

Bufferstop wrote:Paul Bartlett's picture of 999508 has got the right end detail even down to the independent (hand operated ?) windscreen wipers. If it could have been pushed at 25-30mph it would have had no trouble keeping ahead of the following local.

I've just realised the pic of 999506 I linked to first shows B4 bogies. I would assume that propelled performance would be similar to the LMS saloon on B4s - i.e. more than adequate to keep out of the way if not actually inspecting on that stretch.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:44 pm

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:58 pm

Operational question: When these were being propelled (in steam days), would they have carried a lamp headcode and, if so, what was it?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:21 pm

If they were being operated with the possibility of stopping in any section, then class 9, single lamp over the right hand buffer as seen oncoming. That was the typical track engineer's inspection operation, performed under a line possession. Stopping to get out and take a closer look not uncommon, and they had built in steps for track access to this end.

They could on occasion be operated with an 'express' headcode, lamp over each buffer, when running through with no stops; but not at express speed. (These vehicles were not exclusively used for their designed track inspection purpose which was the primary role; but could be used to entertain customers for which their catering provision - in addition to the unusual forward view from an armchair - made them a real asset.)

Return to “Bachmann”