LMS inspection saloon

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
jackshepherd

LMS inspection saloon

Postby jackshepherd » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:50 am

hi everyone, i only found out yesterday that Bachmann are making a inspection saloon. i cant wait to get one, i think i will get the LMS coloured one. Is anyone else planning on getting one?
Modelling a railway is a form of art, which means there's no such thing as perfection....

6C

Re: LMS inspection saloon

Postby 6C » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:02 pm

Yep - just the thing to put behind a high-stepping LMS 2P or the Ratio exMR 2-4-0
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

DonnyRailMan

Postby DonnyRailMan » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:53 pm

Yes I could use it with one of my Duchess Class locos & maroon coaches .

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:19 am

Mine is on pre-order :) LMS livery, and will be running it behind my LMS 2MT.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:52 am

It's the ideal small train, when working at line inspection usually just the one vehicle typically propelled by a modest power loco. There must be a dozen suitable loco models now from LMS/LMR: 3F, 4F, 2P and 4P 4-4-0, Ivatt 2MT, 2MTT or 4MT, any of the 2-6-4T, BR std 3MTT, 4MTT, 4MT 2-6-0.

They were also used for entertaining significant railway freight clients and could be found all over the place as a result, including hung on the rear of an express. There were good catering facilities in these vehicles, several very comfy chairs for the view along the track, and a dining table set. Railway officers rather enjoyed the good life.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:30 pm

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:34 pm

Bigmet wrote:It's the ideal small train, when working at line inspection usually just the one vehicle typically propelled by a modest power loco.

Quick check - are you saying that in normal operation these were usually pushed, rather than pulled, by the loco?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:14 pm

Yes. The engineers sat in the comfy chairs just inside the forward facing windows, and it was pushed along at modest speed when performing line inspection.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:20 pm

Ah. Should look good - gives me a chance to run a train the wrong way round, always nice to vary the look of standard operating practices from time to time!

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:36 pm

They could be propelled or hauled as required, and once the inspection was complete it was perfectly acceptable to send it home attached to the rear of a convenient passenger train if there was one. Most had a warning horn or gong fitted and a vacuum brake handle for emergencies. Regional instructions varied as to who was deemed competent to operate these; on the LMR in the 1990s every saloon was required to be accompanied by a Movements Inspector to operate these and also the vacuum-operated steps, whereas the ER supplied a guard. On the one occasion I (Movements Inspector) was rostered to work one a guard turned up as well so I left him in the saloon and cabbed the loco instead (this one was being hauled). I made sure I was back in the saloon for lunch though, and superb it was too ! The brass hats ate in the second saloon which was laid out accordingly, the guard, lookout and I were served ours in the main saloon on trays. I offered to help wash up but my offer was politely declined, when I saw the cook and steward doing it themselves I saw why - co-ordinated washing up, drying and putting away in a galley about 6 feet square was clearly a practiced art and nearly as impressive as the lunch.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Mon May 12, 2014 4:54 pm

Hi,

I may be a bit late on this thread, but I am so glad I found it! - I now too have one on pre order
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon May 12, 2014 5:40 pm

G&WSR have one which is attached to the Stately Trains Dining Set. Very comfortable it is too. Saw one (might be the same one) in action when Tyseley ran an all day service on the North Warks Line in 1985. They used it at the head of the train whilst propelling the empty stock out to couple onto the waiting loco. A second driver was sitting at the front controlling the train via the vacuum brakes, apart from it being one of the smaller diesels I didn't take much notice of what was doing the pushing. It then went along for the ride to pull the stock out of Stratford-on-Avon station to allow Clun Castle to escape from the dead end. They've since reinstated the run round. It then lurked in one of the sidings until the special had cleared the block before charging up the bank to go via Hatton Junction onto the main line to arrive back at Tyseley before the special. Now there's an action filled operation that could be replicated in model form in any variety of liveries since 1968. They are still in use on NR, presumably on some sort of spot hire contract. Saw one at B'ham NS about 5yrs ago. Decidedly a modern conversion, two large square windows on the yellow outer end, otherwise in all over royal blue, being propelled by a Cl47 in DRS colours. A shrewd choice of subject by Bachmann plenty of excuses to have one.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Mon May 12, 2014 8:17 pm

Bufferstop wrote:Saw one at B'ham NS about 5yrs ago. Decidedly a modern conversion, two large square windows on the yellow outer end, otherwise in all over royal blue, being propelled by a Cl47 in DRS colours.

Two large windows in the end sounds like one of the BR Mk1 saloons, but I can't find any pics of blue ones, Google just throws this one up (now owned by WCRC at Carnforth) - http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org ... p?Ref=5904.

Blue and yellow sounds like 'Caroline', a former Hastings EMU vehicle converted for GM Southern Region, but that had three windows in the end - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/975025_Caroline

When the BR saloons appeared they were generally allocated to Regional Managers with the older Big Four saloons being cascaded to lesser mortals like District Operating Managers and Engineers. In the 1960s there were still a fair few pre-grouping saloons in use, like this fabulous bit of kit -http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/8388342227/ .
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Mon May 12, 2014 8:57 pm

Oops ! Let's try that last one again:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswiss ... 388342227/

It's "Sir Edward Watkins' Saloon", the former MS&LR General Manager's saloon, which found it's way into BR(ScR) stock.

6C

Postby 6C » Mon May 12, 2014 9:39 pm

Pretty sure they weren't propelled very often, if at all. They often had to run at service speeds and keep out of the way of expresses etc.

In an old BRILL - I read recently an LMS Saloon was recorded as running at 83mph on a section the newly aligned WCML after electrification - pulled by an Ivatt 2-6-0 in the 46xxx series - a huge speed for both I suspect and not suitable for propelling :!:

I have never seen one propelled except at very low speeds...

In LMS days - superannuated 2-4-0 engine of Midland and LNWR origin were used - with the LMS 2P taking over mostly in late LMS and early BR times.
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

Return to “Bachmann”