Bachmann class 411 4CEP

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
GWR_fan

Bachmann class 411 4CEP

Post by GWR_fan »

A week or so ago I agonised over whether to go with a new GWR livery Earl 'dukedog' or for the same money a new class 411 4CEP in later blue/grey livery. The class 411 won out and the set arrived in this morning's post. Most definately one of the nicest Bachmann (or any other manufacturer) models that I have. Only minor gripe was several wheelsets had dislodged in its journey from China to Australia and then to me.

Unlike some other reviewers, my car bodies were oriented correctly with the curtained windows aligning with the respective compartments.

The only negative (if one could call it that), is that the entire car must be connected to allow lighting operation, although this does spread the power collection over the entire car so power disruptions should be neglibile. The convenience is that only one decoder is needed. Personally, a decoder in each end car would have made handling the set easier.

Some reviewers have forsaken lighting for convenience and used the Hornby continental 'Electroen' type close couplers. This does allow easier handling with the car set.

I am indeed very impressed with the set and the finish is without fault. I can see why Bachmann was awarded Model of the year a few years ago with this set. Now bitten by the MU bug, I will need a class 416 2EPB, a class 419 MLV and a class 205 'thumper'. Life was certainly not meant to be easy and Bachmann does make life so much harder with the constant need to make choices. What to buy next?????

Tim
thebritfarmer

Re: Bachmann class 411 4CEP

Post by thebritfarmer »

It is a nice EMU and can be had for a great price too !! I bought one even though it doesn't fit the area I model. Another option would have been to break it down into two 2 car sets so just 2 decoders needed. I don't turn the lighting on to be honest as you cannot really see it and these lit carriages are IMO just a unnecessary expense that I could do without.
All Aboooooard !!
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

From reviews read, the lighting on the end cars is barely visible and only the centre cars noticably illuminate due the greater number of LEDs. As yet I have only tested the powered car and am impressed that it goes as well as it looks.

I would have preferred a BR green version but the blue/grey livery came along at a nice price and was hard to resist. Definately a must have model.

Tim
SRman

Post by SRman »

All lovely models, to the same standards as the CEP units!

My only reservation is that it is fiddly to get into them to fit decoders. My personal preference for decoders for these units is Lenz Silver 21 pin decoders, apart from the ESU sound-fitted ones I have. I found that the Lenz decoders seem to suit the running qualities and motor characteristics very well, although a few other correspondents have reported odd anomalies when using the Lenz decoders - I haven't experienced any of the problems.

When I couldn't get any Lenz decoders, I used a TCS EU621 and that worked nicely too.
RFS

Post by RFS »

As I understand it you have power pickup only on the actual motor coach even when connecting the other three coaches with the supplied conductive couplings: it does not extend that to the other 3 coaches. One connection is to supply the interior lighting and the other is for the headcode. Bachmann messed up on the 2-EPB and both connections supply headcode and interior lighting.

Put a sheet of paper under the actual motor coaches wheels so they are all insulated and you'll see what I mean.
Robert Smith
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

I understand now. The motor pickups are only on the powered end car.

Tim
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

I am sure they sat down as a design team and asked - how do people tell which is their favourite model? Answer: the one that's always out on the layout

As such they made it such a faff to couple it up that no one would want to ever undo it so leave it on the layout all the time :lol:

A decoder in each end would make coupling it up easier as you could have normal couplings in the centre so you would only need to place two cars at a time!

Runs like a dream though & I am really impressed with it
RFS

Post by RFS »

I think interior lighting is overvalued. When operating during daylight hours then the lights were off in reality. On my layout I find it looks strange to see brightly-lit EMUs alongside unlit loco-hauled stock. And as far as brightly-lit on the 411 is concerned, that means the two centre coaches not the end cars! So I usually run my 411s with interior lights off but headcodes on. Looks much more natural that way. I don't run my trains in the dark! :(
Robert Smith
thebritfarmer

Post by thebritfarmer »

As I don't use the interior lighting I may substitute the middle connector for something else so I can facilitate an easier removal from the layout.
All Aboooooard !!
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

GWR_fan wrote:A week or so ago I agonised over whether to go with a new GWR livery Earl 'dukedog' .......... Life was certainly not meant to be easy and Bachmann does make life so much harder with the constant need to make choices. What to buy next???? Tim
Oh for Heaven's sake Tim, buy that Dukedog. You'll sleep easier..........

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......
RFS

Post by RFS »

thebritfarmer wrote:As I don't use the interior lighting I may substitute the middle connector for something else so I can facilitate an easier removal from the layout.
The interior couplings on the 411/CEP use standard NEM sockets so any NEM coupling will do, including tension lock which would not be very pretty! I use the standard Roco ones (not the Hornby version which is longer). This gives very good close-coupling but also allows individual coaches to be removed from the track. However they won't couple automatically: I find that I need to use a "shunter's pole" to push the couplings together which can be a bit fiddly, but is worth the effort. Depending on your tightest curve radius you may find you need to use one Roco + one Hornby/Roco to give a slightly wider separation.
Robert Smith
thebritfarmer

Post by thebritfarmer »

Well that I did not know, thanks for the information. I generally use Kadees so I may give them a try first as I have them to hand.
All Aboooooard !!
SRman

Post by SRman »

I have been using Kadees for the end couplings, allowing easy 'multiple unit' operation. From memory I use either Kadee #19 or 20 couplings for this. I have run up to three 4 CEP, 2 EPB and MLV units together with no problems. Once I get my main line circuits built, I will try out a 12 CEP + 2 MLV combination, just for fun!
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

Ive got three CEPs two in blue grey and one in Green. I did have the Modelzone limited edition all blue one but sold it on eBay some time ago to finance another purchase. I have modified the interior lighting in the MBSO on one of my units by installing self adhesive LED strip lighting and wiring it into the existing matrix in the ceiling of the coach. The interior glow now matches that of the centre coaches and the effect is very good. I intend to convert the other 5 MBSOs as time permits. Having an outdoor line such as mine, running an 8 car formation at dusk with all the lights glowing gives a very good impression of how the real things looked as they wound their way through the Kent & Sussex countryside packed with commuters. My formations are usually 2x 4-CEP or 1x 4-CEP + 2x 2-EPB. Although the majority of EPBs were fitted with suburban gear ratio restricting their speed unless switched out there were one or two fitted with express gear ratio and could be a lively ride when attached to a CEP/BEP formation.
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!
Metadyneman

Post by Metadyneman »

Incidentally.. the power car is not the only car to pick up current from the track on the Bachmann 4-CEP. If you lift one side of the car with the motor bogie in it completely off the track with the lights on, the lights will stay on in all the coaches. This would seem to indicate that all of the coaches pick up current.
If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side!