Bachmann class 416 problems

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
rgsimulations

Bachmann class 416 problems

Postby rgsimulations » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:40 pm

afternoon all hope your well,

I bought a bachmann class 416 blue grey on Saturday from a model shop i popped past as they had them on offer.

I used to run dc but took the decision to go to DC again last night as i have quite allot of DC models that i wouldn't be able to convert to DCC

i had some problems with the 416 on DCC i removed the body shell and removed the blanking plug. I inserted the 21 pin DCC ship from bachmann into the unit. When i turned the knob the train moved forward about a cm at a time stopped then start stop start stop and all the lights flashed on/off why is this.

It was a hornby select i was using if this helps.

the loco runs great on DC and the detail in this loco is amazing

irishtrains

Re: Bachmann class 416 problems

Postby irishtrains » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Londonboi :o

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:23 pm

not enough smileys and 'lols' for londonboi

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:25 pm

The problem described reminds me of something similar with a Bachmann 66. IIRC its to do with the speed steps on the DCC chip being out of sync with the DCC controller

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:33 am

I don't use Bachmann chips unless pre-installed. Had way to many problems with them. Stick to the Hornby Sapphire now.
SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:34 am

rgsimulations wrote:...had some problems with the 416 on DCC i removed the body shell and removed the blanking plug. I inserted the 21 pin DCC chip from bachmann into the unit. When i turned the knob the train moved forward about a cm at a time stopped then start stop start stop and all the lights flashed on/off why is this.

It was a hornby select i was using ...

Generally, if there is a problem with DCC, and the Hornby Select is mentioned; my reaction is 'this is a known non-compliant unit to the DCC spec., so that's the primary suspect as the problem cause'. The further trouble is that this unit offers so little CV access you cannot really investigate a DCC problem of this type.

Out of interest, which 21 pin Bachmann decoder was used? The earlier 36-554 (badged ESU lokpilot) or the 36-557 (badged Soundtraxx decoder).

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:34 am

The 36-557 has known issues with the Hornby select (i.e it wont work). Bachmann have confirmed this with me when i queried it. It also has problems with "programming on the main" with a Dynamis
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

Return to “Bachmann”