Body removal on 32-585 Ivatt class 4 2-6-0

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
bob hughes60

Body removal on 32-585 Ivatt class 4 2-6-0

Post by bob hughes60 »

I want to remove the body on this DCC ready model.
According to the sheet numbered E3258-ISO01 YOu "remove the screws indicated above" which are tow boxed outline screws?
Done this and the model will not separate with reasonable force.
Am I missing a trick.
I did check to see if the service sheet is updated but curiously couldn't find it on the Bachmann Site.
Helpful advice appreciated.
Cheers
Bob Hughes
Bigmet

Re: Body removal on 32-585 Ivatt class 4 2-6-0

Post by Bigmet »

These models are typically a very close fit between chassis block and body. The chassis enters the body in two separate locations: the motor and gear train block in the firebox, and a block with the DCC socket on top in the smokebox above the cylinders.

It is helpful to power the model's wheels so the side rods are at their high point, so you have the bottom half of the wheels to hold either side. Make sure the pipes from the boiler to the injectors under the cab are free to disengage. Take out the two crosshead screws marked, that are in the deep holes in the underside.

I have found it easiest to hold the chassis inverted by the wheels, the body by holding the running plate, and then wiggle them apart rather than a straight pull. The body and chassis need to move vertically relative to each other; if front or rear comes out first, then the other block will wedge in the chassis opening.

If it is all 'nothing doing' then look at the model from the underside around the detail of the drop grate rocker at the bottom of the firebox sides. You should see a fine gap between the firebox side and the chassis block casting. A slim blade inserted here both sides and 'worked' a little may help free things up.

Once apart, you may want to consider taking a little paint and metal off the concealed surfaces so it cannot bind up like that again. Scuff marks and removed paint on the chassis block especially can be helpful in revealing where the fit is just too tight. On reassembling keep a careful eye on the undercab pipework, guding it clear of getting caugnt between cabside and floor. It only needs one screw to resecure, I use the forward one as the brake rod has more flex at this location and doesn't - ping - disengage and have to be coaxed back into the location on the brake crank.

It's a model I like a lot, despite being a bit like a Brazil nut to get to the insides of.
bob hughes60

Post by bob hughes60 »

Many thanks for your very detailed reply, got body off injectors were a bit of a problem.
I am assuming that you fitted a decoder Bigmet?
If so what type -needs to be small ? and any mods.
I have a nasty feeling that the tender beckons don't really want to chop the body weight.
Cheers
bob Hughes
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

There is a screw attached ballast weight inside the boiler, a standard HO size decoder will fit with this removed, I used my usual choice of a Lenz. It is possible to put in some lead to compensate, there is space inside the smoke box door for example, and slab of lead on the cab floor doesn't show once painted black.

Although I have used tenders to accomodate decoders on other models in order to get as much weight as possible in the loco, in the this case the wiring layout provided is so good that I decided to use it almost as found. I removed the socket and soldered in the decoder though, as it made stowing the decoder easier with just the four required wires cut short. That also made room for a lump of lead above where the socket had been.
bob hughes60

Post by bob hughes60 »

Removed body weight and fitted a Zimo MX623R decoder.Went into void. Have not compensated weight loss yet. Removed weight is 18g.
That is quite a lead to find a home for!
Bob Hughes
JasRH

Post by JasRH »

Hello Bigmet,
I just wanted to say a big thanks for your posts on this. For a novice like me it was a real struggle taping, scrunching and jamming cables but I fitted a Hornby R8249 inside the boiler after the lead weight was removed. After releasing the injectors pipes that I'd jammed (Yes, you did say to be careful about these.) and re-fixed the body, I cut the weigh in half (Mask & gloves on just to be sure.), glued it together, painted it matt black and it now sits on the cab floor. You'd need to know it's there and search for it to see it.
I used the Hornby R8249 as it's what I'm used to and has served me pretty well in numerous analogue to DCC conversion on Hornby and Bachmann models.
I'd thought that I'd never be able to do this one and it would remain unused as an analogue model, couldn't have without your guidance. Thanks again, very much appreciated.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

JasRH wrote:...For a novice like me it was a real struggle taping, scrunching and jamming cables but I fitted a Hornby R8249 inside the boiler after the lead weight was removed...
Now you have tackled one of the 'awkward squad', you are good to go!

BTW, there's no lead in current RTR model productions, the manufacturers all use the same mazak alloy as for the chassis block castings, etc. For our own use we can substitute lead, for its greater density, which can be very handy to get difficult specimens to have enough weight in the right place.