Problem with 36-557 decoder

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Rabspat

Problem with 36-557 decoder

Postby Rabspat » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:13 pm

Has anyone else had a problem with the new 21 pin chip 36-557? I put it in my new Class 205 and it would not reprogram it only stayed on the default 3 setting. I tried it in my Class 150 and same problem. I have the Dynamis set up and other chips have been no problem apart from this.
SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

D0260

Re: Problem with 36-557 decoder

Postby D0260 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:43 pm

Is it 'locked' either by intention or accident. Try a total reset of CV8 = 8 and then try again.

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:05 pm

How do i do that? I don't have the pro-box just the standard Dynamis set up.
SIMON
IN PROGRESS
"Daunton" oo gauge end to end Branchline, using DMU's and EMU's in different eras and regions. But general theme would be Kent area with some stations with the SR era colour. Be Starting Board 1 this week I at a time.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:29 pm

I have had the same problem with this decoder. It refuses to be reporgrammed using a Bachmann Dynamis or a Hornby Select ( I have both ). I originally put it in a brand new class 350 desiro unit, it worked on default No 3 but refused to accept any of the CV adjustments for accelleration deceleration, top speed etc and would not accept a number change. I tried it in a Bachmann Warship and it wont even work in that. I thought I had just got a dud decoder and have put it to one side but it would appear I am not the only one with this problem, Re setting CV8 to 8 does not work either. I think this might be going back to Bachmann! I have e-mailed their technical department to see if this is a known fault.

P S You can set CV 8 to value 8 on the non pro Dynamis but it won't work with this decoder for some reason..
Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow we will be jolly, fat with a headache!

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks for the reply, Hattons have said that i can send it back to them for a refund or a replacement. As it seems to be the actual problem on the brand i might contact Bachmann as well. Let us know if you hear back from Bachmann.
SIMON
IN PROGRESS

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:26 pm

Only had one of these decoders to look at, a friend's purchase which he brought to me for install and set up on my Lenz 100 system. No trouble at all with it, accepted a 4 digit address and any amount of tinkering exploring its preset speed curves. In terms of what it offers a considerable advance on the previous 36-554 21 pin decoder. Very odd that it refuses to set up on Bach's own Dynamis system...

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:33 pm

Bigmet wrote:Very odd that it refuses to set up on Bach's own Dynamis system...

Yes that is what I thought too. I actually like the 36-554 for it's simplicity and ease of programming and I hope they keep making it.

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:43 pm

It appears that the 36-554 is no longer listed on the Bachmann site. I believe the 36-557 is the replacement for it. Shame really but hopefully the will fix the issues.
All Aboooooard !!

Rabspat

Postby Rabspat » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:08 pm

Well i am unhappy by the whole experience so i am sticking to Hornby and Lenz for my decoders from now on. I just thought £15 for a decoder almost on par with the Hornby Sapphire was a pretty good deal. As they say cheap don't always pay.
SIMON
IN PROGRESS

RFS

Postby RFS » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:24 pm

This decoder does not support the setting of max speed (CV5 and CV6) despite the documentation. You can set any value you like for these but the firmware ignores it. In my view this is a poor decoder. Given that it seems to have so many other values you can set, it just seems nonsensical that you can't set the most basic CVs. You can get the Hornby Sapphire for around £21 if you shop around and it's a much better decoder in my experience.
Robert Smith

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:26 am

I have just received my first 36-557 from Hattons. Arrived with this morning's post. Curiosity couldn't help itself, and regret maybe prove its bedfellow. I have many 36-553 & 36-554 for basis of comparison. Similarly have a few Sapphires which I do quite like which represented stunning value back when they were just £18, and Hornby R8249's which I don't ....at any price.

Repainting the HT room today so I probably won't get the chance to read the manuals and try it until this evening or perhaps tomorrow morning, but I use NCE and an ESU decoder tester, so I'll report back if I have any issues programming it with either the Powercab or PowerHouse Pro (wi-fi) -if any.

A question for those of you who already have experimented with the 36-557. Is it actually identical to the SoundTraxx MC1? i.e. Just a rebadge. Or is it actually a defeatured version?

Seems Bachmann's site links directly to Soundtraxx's 37 page user manual which contains amplification on using the decoder 'somewhat lacking' in Bachmann's mini sheet hard copy included with the decoder. I haven't read the Sountraxx User & Tech dox yet. Have to admit, even in a budget decoder, I am surprised that the MC1 doesn't support something as rudimentary as setting of CV5 which its 21 pin predecessor did.

And just a heads up for those of you who appreciate being able to buy a respectable and reliable although inarguably budget decoder for half the price a Sapphire or Lenz. If like me you are fond of Bachmann's now since obsoleted 36-554 decoder which is NLA, they can still be had badged as the genuine original ESU product at a most amenable price.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:05 am

Never having encountered the MC1, could not tell if the 36-557 is defeatured, and have no inclination to wade though Soundtraxx' rather tedious informational style to compare to what is posted on the link on Bach's site.

But as a piece of hardware the 36-557 is a better decoder than the 36-554, of which I have a good number in Bachmann centre motor diesel chassis, bought when they could be got for £10 - £12. What the 36-554 lacks is any adjustment to the speed curve beyond the ability to alter CVs 2 and 5; and limited range in CVs 3 and 4. It does have a good silent drive, so in a chassis to which it is well matched it will produce a fine smooth running result. But with small motors or any motor with an unusual motor response you are rather stuck with these limited adjustments. As a result this decoder, and a couple of the similar 36-553, have been confined to large motored diesel types on my layout, in which they do very well; the faster acceleration and deceleration acceptable as compared to steam.

The 36-557 has a bundle of selectable speed curves on offer which will 'straighten out' most unusual motor responses, and can have a custom curve programmed enabling maximum, mid range and any other speed step to be set exactly as the user requires. It is a different way of doing things as compared to offering CVs 5 and 6, but the end effect is the same, and with considerably more adjustment potential than only having CV's 2 and 5 available as on 36-554. It went into a small motored Bachmann steam loco and produced a refined running result, the large CV 3 and 4 ranges offering the typical slow accelerations of steam; not far from what a Lenz decoder delivers, and to get that in 21pin means the Silver 21 for about 60% higher price.

But the nemesis of all other budget decoders is the Lenz Standard, now available in the budget price bracket. That is the decoder that has basically displaced all other budget decoder purchases for my layout, Lenz performance for much less. 8pin fitting, so if the loco has a 21 pin socket I remove it and hardwire this little beauty, job done. Has all the usual CV's for quick and easy set up, and a fully user settable speed curve if required; with large adjustment range in CVs 3 and 4, and the sweet and silent Lenz drive.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:14 pm

I have received a reply from Bachmann. They have asked me what DCC controller I am using which basic info I should have remembered to put in the first place but I put that down to getting old! Bachmann have intiomated there are issues with this decoder and certain types of controller so I have sent my reply and will wait for the response.

On a personal level I prefer the 36-554 and in my honest opionion it's a nice simple decoder for anyone not wishing to go too potty with CV's. I am sad that Bachmann have stopped prioducing it. I am not likikg the 36-557 as much at the moment but will give it time once this little problem has been sorted. It reminds me very much of the Hornby Sapphire to me which I hate!

Bigglesof226 wrote: If like me you are fond of Bachmann's now since obsoleted 36-554 decoder which is NLA, they can still be had badged as the genuine original ESU product at a most amenable price

Excelent stuff.. any chance of a link as to where I can buy them or a rough idea what an amenable price is bearing in mind Hattons were selling 36-554s at £12!!!?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:57 pm

These are what you are looking for http://www.esu.eu/en/products/lokpilot/ ... basic-v10/

Just put ESU lokpilot basic 52692 into a search engine.

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:02 pm

Bigmet wrote:These are what you are looking for http://www.esu.eu/en/products/lokpilot/ ... basic-v10/

Just put ESU lokpilot basic 52692 into a search engine.

I have some of these, got them from eBay for about $19 Cheap as chips and do the job quite nicely.
All Aboooooard !!

Return to “Bachmann”