Bachmann class 166 nse

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
spiket4

Bachmann class 166 nse

Postby spiket4 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:29 am

Hi all i have seen in my local model shop a class 166 in nse livery.
The model looks very good and i was told by the shop owner that it is 2nd hand but was serviced at the shop recently.
I know this model is not dcc but it is only £40 for the 3 car unit.
Is this a good model? and is it a good price ?

Mark

SRman

Re: Bachmann class 166 nse

Postby SRman » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:42 am

It is a good model at that price.

If you use DCC it is not all that easy to convert; the centre coach has the motor and that is easy to hard-wire a decoder in but the unpowered driving coaches will need the lights rewired and either a separate decoder (function-only) each, or some plugs and sockets to carry the wires through from the decoder in the centre coach.

If you are not using DCC then there should be no problems. They generally run quite sweetly and the NSE livery is nicely finished.

If, like me. you are adding third and fourth rail for LT Underground trains then watch the clearances under the bogies.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:43 am

You will have to gauge the external finish for damage etc. The drive design is very good, the powered coach essentially a Bo-Bo locomotive. This will drag a dozen coaches around, so provided it runs smoothly and quietly in both directions in the shop it is a good bet. Don't worry about the DCC aspect, this chassis design dead easy to modify for DCC control, as with any Bachmann centre motor with shaft drive to both bogies chassis sold before sockets were routinely provided.

If both the vehicle bodies and running are good, so is the price. Don't get over excited, check it out in full before plunking down the cash.

amsie

Postby amsie » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:24 am

Good price you definately won't see it any lower than that elsewhere.

i've seen them go from £50 upto £100 on Ebay

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:07 pm

spiket4 wrote:....I know this model is not dcc but it is only £40 for the 3 car unit.
Is this a good model? and is it a good price ?

Mark

The Bachmann 166 is good for it's age and I'd say £40 is a good price for one. Fitting DCC isn't actually going to be that hard and, if you are clever, the unit has all the connectors you need for using one decoder to control the lights and motor (though you will need a drill, maybe a knife, and some extra wire to do it).
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

martin_l_jones

Postby martin_l_jones » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:23 pm

For DCC operation don't you need to rewire the lighting units ?.
No more fotopic, now onto flickr...

Just started to load up my photos and video, see my layout and the real things at..
http://www.youtube.com/user/mljones21
http://www.flickr.com/photos/16645820@N06/6157779077/

SRman

Postby SRman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:54 am

As I said in my post earlier, the lights will need to be rewired for DCC operation. On DCC as they stand you will have all lights on at once.

The motor in the centre coach is easy; it's the lights that are tricky.

They are nice runners and use the same mechanism as the Bachmann classes 158 and 159, and also the 170s although the latter have filament lights that are actually easier to rewire for DCC.

My own NSE 166 runs very nicely on DCC but I have not, as yet, redone the lights - I am using a class 158 as the guinea pig for rewiring the lights to be controlled from the central decoder, before trying the same on a sound-fitted 159 (I don't want to make a mistake and blow up a sound decoder!!). i am using some 3-pin mini-connectors to transfer the power from the decoder in the centre coach to the driving coach lights.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:08 am

martin_l_jones wrote:For DCC operation don't you need to rewire the lighting units ?

Well, no!

I did a DCC decoder install on the motor of a not much different HO multiple unit, and offered to disconnect the lighting in the trailer vehicles, as a better option than leaving it with all lights on at full power which is what you get on DCC. Oh no, said the owner, quite happy with that, I just wanted it to run on DCC. It's all a matter of personal taste; for some folk if the motor runs the item properly under DCC control that's all they are bothered about. I am assured by a retailer I speak to fairly regularly that there is nothing unusual in this.

And for those who want the lights controllable, SRman outlined the principles to follow in the second post of this thread.

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:48 pm

martin_l_jones wrote:For DCC operation don't you need to rewire the lighting units ?.

My recollection is that it is basically the same set up as the 158/159 and they don't need much work.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

Return to “Bachmann”