Bachmann Dealers in Cheshire

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
PhillT

Bachmann Dealers in Cheshire

Postby PhillT » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi everyone,

After acquiring several catalogues and looking around online I have decided to start constructing a model railway - it's been over 20 years since I had one as a child. I have almost convinced myself that I am going to go with Bachmann OO. Does anyone have any recommendations for local dealers around the Cheshire area. I know I can buy online, but I'd like to think that I will buy from a local dealer with a good reputation.

So does anyone have any positive or negative thoughts on the dealers in Cheshire? or are they all the same?

Cheers,
-Philip.

Pete Latham

Re: Bachmann Dealers in Cheshire

Postby Pete Latham » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Yeah, goto Trident Trains at Dagfields, (Just before Crewe area) it's brilliant. Richard be happy to give you advice as well.....

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:32 pm

And you don't have to restrict yourself to just one manufacturer. There are four main manufacturers and a good number of smaller players all offering compatible ready to run items, and there is now a coupler pocket system that enables click in coupler changes.

PhillT

Postby PhillT » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:35 pm

Pete Latham wrote:Yeah, goto Trident Trains at Dagfields, (Just before Crewe area) it's brilliant. Richard be happy to give you advice as well.....

Thanks for the heads up on this shop, I find their website hard to navigate but looks like they have a decent selection so will look more in detail over the weekend. Someone else suggested to me Waltons Models in Altrincham they seem to have a large range of Bachmann stock (and a sale on wagons to boot!), but has anyone had any dealings with this shop - what are they like for customer service? I'm finding it very hard to tell the quality of a shop from their websites, perhaps I'll just have to spend a weekend visiting those around the area.

Bigmet, I realise I don't have to limit myself to a single manufacturer but once I start an activity I tend to get sucked in, so I can see myself buying lots of stuff, or trying to get all of a similar type of loco... the sort of things that's bad for the wallet! So by limiting myself to a single manufacturer to start with hopefully the wife will still talk to me!

Cheers,
-Philip.

loco

Postby loco » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:42 pm

I visit Altrincham on a regular basis, and can never resist a walk round the store, all items are well displayed , and the staff are very helful.

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Just back from a UK trip where we stayed around there. Modelzone Cheshire has a good range as well.
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:40 pm

Penketh Models in Warrington? Does a lovely cuppa too

orange

Postby orange » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:11 pm

Waltons are great wouldnt go near penketh from what I've heard

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:30 pm

I'll add my endorsement for Waltons, in fact I'm probably suffering withdrawal symptoms since my wife retired from her examining job which took her there for a time each year. I'd go up to stay with her if she had to stay over the weekend, then Monday morning it would be Piccadilly and get a day ticket for the trams, out to Waltons at Altrincham, back to St Peters Square and a walk down to Modelzone on Deansgate walk or another free bus back to Piccadilly, it stops right outside Ian Allen's shop on the station approach. Then a bit of people and train watching at Piccadilly and back to the hotel. Any day but Monday I'd include a trip out to Besses o' the Barns and a look in at Locoshed, Wednesdays leave out Altrincham as Waltons have a day off.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

TopShedDriver

Postby TopShedDriver » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:56 pm

orange wrote:Waltons are great wouldnt go near penketh from what I've heard

And WHAT exactly is is that YOU have heard. Why post negative comments on a business you have no experience of? I visit there regularly and they are probably the friendliest, best stocked shop in Cheshire.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:30 pm

PhillT wrote:...I realise I don't have to limit myself to a single manufacturer but once I start an activity I tend to get sucked in, so I can see myself buying lots of stuff, or trying to get all of a similar type of loco... So by limiting myself to a single manufacturer to start with hopefully the wife will still talk to me! ...

So, nearly a year on, how's the 'limitation' resolution holding up Philip?

The only reason I don't have a Dapol OO item yet is that none of the newly tooled items fit my modelling interest. But if they can do the class 21, this will change. B,H and H are all represented from the RTR ranges, plus a lot of kits. I like having the greater choice of appropriate RTR models, thanks to having a few ranges to choose from.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:26 pm

Don't think you'll get an answer there, he's not been on for a year.

6C

Postby 6C » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:53 am

Here is the list to the stockists in the 'North West' - including Cheshire

http://bachmann.co.uk/stk.php?area_id=3 ... branchline

Depends where you are really.... :wink:
Pete

Fetch me a bottle of your finest Chateau Bichon Frise '65 !!

John Geeeee

Postby John Geeeee » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:14 pm

I have used Penketh Models for years and will always fully recommend them, my favourite shop and I don't use them enough nowadays but they are the only place I need to go ! Paul is a great owner who is full of enthusiasm for our hobby. A big range of new and second hand locos and rolling stock. Stocks anything to do with our hobby and if he does not have it will do everything he can to get it. They spend a lot of weekends at shows but has plenty of shop staff/friends/family to back him up. Will offer you a cuppa if you want a chat. the shop has done very well and expanded since it first opened 6 years ago. Hattons in Liverpol is like visiting a morgue in comparison :P

John Geeee

EDIT: oooops did not realise this thread originated a year ago :oops: probably about the time I last went in John Geeeees Shed!!
"Go on, just one more board, pleeeeeaaaase?"
My Layout Thread
My Photobucket Albums

Return to “Bachmann”