Bachmann 2012 speculation thread

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
D605Eagle

Re: Bachmann 2012 speculation thread

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:26 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:
D605Eagle wrote: Its not the only place they have been busy with the measuring tools either..... :wink:

Anyone know if they've been measuring at Bo'ness - J36 Maude, and D34 Glen Douglas by any chance?

I don't know about that, but they have been to Barrow Hill.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:40 am

A J15 is a must & I'm sure they got a look at the MRE Poll to see it was popular if chosen
J70 or Y6 steam tram would be great,knowing they have produced a far more accurate Toby version.
Duke Of Gloucester? Very much doubt it now,cos that seems years away :(
The Ivatt 2 tank is long overdue a new chassis though & would be welcomed by me.
A newer Deltic with lights & switches(a la their 37) but not DCC or sound-fitted/would be a good idea.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:44 am

Some GER stuff would be nice
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

amsie

Postby amsie » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:54 pm

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:Some GER stuff would be nice

I 2nd that :-)

Welsh_Trident_Man

Postby Welsh_Trident_Man » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:24 pm

eagle50043 wrote:the RNA (ex HEA) flask barrier has already been anounced as a limtied edition i think.

the refurbushed CEP is a great sudgestion, i would have one of those.......in NSE.

it would also be great to see a EPB spin off of 2-HAP, and eventually a 4PEB.

but i dont hold my breath for any 'new' stuff this year, if they were to make any new tooling
we would know about it by now (?) with an announcement wouldn't we...?

all we can hope for is some new liveries.....

but for the near future i would love bachmann to do;
class 117
class 304
class 309
class 310
class 86/87/90

Yep The Signal Box, although as a HEA recoded, not the proper cut down one.
http://www.thesignalbox.co.uk/index_new ... d_id=14759

Regards.

zigzag

Postby zigzag » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:46 pm

After Hornbys announcement there are a few gaps that Bachy could go for, and with Bachys 18month window I expect to see a few 'place grabber' announcements to head off the competition.

Locos
Diesel, not much to go for other than improvements/retools which Bachy dont shy away from, so expect something on a revised 40 to appear. Wouldnt have thought they woudl go niche a la Heljan, and possibly not worth competing on other models far better to use the capital for other areas. Expect more liveries, and would like to see a maroon Warship.
Electric, may have to wait a year to see how the 85 fares before announcing one of cl 81/82/83.
Steam, Im pretty certain we will see an ER 0-6-0, but which one, J15 would be my bet. If thats not ancient enough I could also see something small and prewar coming along (witness the C & Dukedog), could even be something Scottish, but what that will be I dont know. Ive been saying it for a while but a 78xxx would be an easy win, but maybe they havent done it as it would steal sales from the Ivatt Cl2. Mid size maybe the LMS Stanier mogul is in with a shout as could a K1, both fit well with Bachys model selection of recent years. If they want to mine the seam of big freight locos then a big NE goods loco might emerge, again fitting nicely with thier previous choices of locos. Finally, someone must surely soon be planning an industrial tank, Bachy with thier workhorse ethic could be the ones to do it (if they dont I think Dapol may jump in here). Whoever does it will clean up, but the choice of prototype is wide.
I would also expect further inroads into the replacement of split chassis (and please please please make them available separately, Ive a B1 thats begging for a new chassis or its going on ebay and Ill buy a Hornby replacement just to spite Bachy who wouldnt make the new chassis availalble).
Units,To me here is the growth area, Bachy have a proven capability in this area especially in 1st gen DMU and there are still some potential good sellers to be done. I expect at least one 1st gen DMU announcement, probably a higher density unit, but woudlnt be surprised to see a 123 or 124 (please please please) as well.
May well see another SR EMU emerging, especially as Hornby have ducked that for 2012.
Not sure on the modern units but this may well be an area to expoit also.

Coaching
Hornby have now gone for 2 types of LNER non gangwayed stock, the LMS corner is wide open for Bachy to lay claim to.
For a new mainline range GWR Collett stock could be a good bet, though maybe too many variations, and a longer shot is a re-tool of the Bullieds, but this may not be cost effective in current times.

Wagons
Not my strong suit but Id expect more of the same, Bachy now dominate in this area for the discerning modeller.

Buildings - SVR stuff is a good shout

Ill be wrong, but ist good fun to speculate

gc4946

Postby gc4946 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:55 pm

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:Some GER stuff would be nice

It would be a real surprise for me if they announced either a B12 or a J17 (I own an old Bec white metal body and tender kit on a Triang Jinty chassis) as I own one each of both, but they look dated against today's superb locos.
Hornby, Heljan and Bachmann together have all released relevant steam and early diesel era stock, and are continuing to do so, which worked on the GER/GE section.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:39 pm

For an LNER 0-6-0 I think that Bachmann will choose very carefully so that the wheel spacing of the one chosen can be used on a maximum number of other locos, so it might not necesarrily be the highest scorer in the poll.... hence the C class.

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:39 pm

Hmm, here is some gaps that could be filled.
Steamers:
Britannia 70000 BR Black
LMS Compound 4-4-0 Maroon (with a Smoke Generator please! ;))

Diesels:
DRS and DB Schenker Class 37 "Heavies"
Class 35 Hymek
Class 52 Western
Class 60 (something without the need of opening doors with similar detail to the Class 66 which would be a lower price for those on a tight budget)

Electrics:
Class 90
Class 92

Multiple Units DMU/EMU:
Class 150/0 Three Car Prototype
Class 317/318/319/320/321/322 (Bachmann has the tooling for the 150/1 and 150/2 so all of these could be produced with adaptors for the existing tooling).
Class 185 Desiro
Class 360 Desiro, First Heathrow Connect/NXEA/First Great Eastern (again the 350 tooling only needs an adaptor to make the Class 360 version)
Class 442 (see addition notes in the "Carriages" section) NSE/SWT and Gatwick Express liveries.

Carriages:
MkIII Carriages - Loco Hauled, HST and Sliding Plug Door variants as used in Ireland and also could be sold seperately to extend the Class 442 if the unit was sold as a three car set similar to that of the Class 220 Voyager. This would allow the MkIII with Plug Doors to be availible seperately for respray/repaint projects ;).
MkIID/E carriages as used on Cross Country and WCML in Virgin Trains and Intercity livery. These could also be released in Iarnrod Eireann Orange/Black livery as well.

Wagons:
Tara Mine Wagons NIR/CIE livery
TEA Tanker Wagons VTG (Orange and Blue versions)/Murco/Elf and Esso

I know that Heljan make the 35 and 52 models but I have not been too impressed with the build quality of my Heljan Class 23 as I have had to glue a set of footsteps and the brace bar on the grill back on the model. My UHU glue seems to be better than that they used at the factory as it holds them firmly in place :).
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:19 pm

Er, how to put this?

The NRM actually offer a Bachmann manufactured LMS Compound. (No smoke unit admittedly, but then there is little demand for this feature, so that's DIY.)

Hornby have produced 70000 in Black, still available. Bach have always said they won't duplicate if a good model is available (and the Britannia is one of Hornby's best) so that rules this one out, and not a few other items on the rest of your list...

Not had any trouble with Heljan diesels but I don't own many (a couple of excellent class 15s which are fully up to scratch in all respects, a class 26, and plan to buy class 23s but only when they offer them in original disc headcode). Of the two other Heljan diesel models you mention, the class 35 has a very good all-round reputation, and the 52 while criticised for a shape issue appears to be otherwise good: also Dapol have an OO class 52 model announced which on present form will be good.

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:27 pm

D306Whistler wrote:....Multiple Units DMU/EMU:
Class 150/0 Three Car Prototype
Class 317/318/319/320/321/322 (Bachmann has the tooling for the 150/1 and 150/2 so all of these could be produced with adaptors for the existing tooling).
Class 185 Desiro
Class 360 Desiro, First Heathrow Connect/NXEA/First Great Eastern (again the 350 tooling only needs an adaptor to make the Class 360 version)
Class 442 (see addition notes in the "Carriages" section) NSE/SWT and Gatwick Express liveries....

I think if an EMU is on the cards I think is more likely to be a 444 or 450, as these are pretty close to the 350 that has just been released.

The 317/1 and 318 could possibly come of the 150/2 body, but would require a new tooling for the centre cars and underframe details (they might also consider the 455/9). The 319-322s could come as a follow up to those (the driving cars have a few differences to the 150/2 so they would need new toolings), but again new underframe details would be needed, and once you've got all of them, why not a 325 or 456?
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:02 pm

A 450 would be most likely hence that we now have the 350 "dual mode" Desiro to enjoy. The Class 444 I didn't think of because aren't they about the same size in length as the 442 which is the standard 75 foot long per car as the 350/450 units are 65 feet long per car/unit segment?

Met, I didn't realise that the NRM commissioned a Bachmann version as the only one I know of is the Hornby Railroad version which is not much different to the 1983 example my uncle owned apart from that its now loco-driven. I am longing for a decent Class 92 to come out because there has been no decent model since the demise of Lima in 2003/2004. The Hornby Class 92 model is okay and was a great model back in the 90's where demand for premium/accurate models was very low. But if you park it next to a premium Class 60, you will see where the model shows its age not to mention that its a bit on the chunky side compared to the Lima version of the Class 92 which captured the feel and the accuracy of the prototype much better ;).
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:19 am

Bigmet wrote:Er, how to put this?

The NRM actually offer a Bachmann manufactured LMS Compound. (No smoke unit admittedly, but then there is little demand for this feature, so that's DIY.)

The Bachmann NRM compound is a Midland compound (there are differences I'm told) in Midland livery with a post BR era tender.....Hornby actually make a compoundish loco now in LMS red (but no smoke admitedly) can be bought right now.

eagle50043

Postby eagle50043 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:43 am

yes more class 40's would be nice, with the flush front........

and talking of re-tooling current/past releases. how about doing what they did with the 37 (to make the 5's),
making a tool just for nose to make a flush front class 45 ! not covered these yet. i want one :-)

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:42 am

D306Whistler wrote:A 450 would be most likely hence that we now have the 350 "dual mode" Desiro to enjoy. The Class 444 I didn't think of because aren't they about the same size in length as the 442 which is the standard 75 foot long per car as the 350/450 units are 65 feet long per car/unit segment?....

It's entirely possible they have that difference, I'm not aware of the various lengths, but it would cause an issue if that's the case (it's a reason they can't use the 170 body to make a 'Electrostar').
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

Return to “Bachmann”