J39 Problem

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Shed 38C

J39 Problem

Postby Shed 38C » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:17 pm

Have a J39 (31-865) that used to run ok but for some reason when I place it on the track the controller light blinks on and off showing a short somewhere ,other locos run fine.Would appreciate if any one had any ideas or should I just send it back to Bachmann.It is out of warranty.

slackbladder

Re: J39 Problem

Postby slackbladder » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:34 pm

Unless its different to mine the J39 is split chassis. When you say the controller shows a short I am assuming its DCC and that the loco has a decoder installed. Did you install the decoder? or was the loco chipped when you bought it?

The motor connections inside the split chassis MUST be insulated from both halves of the chassis. Some people do this using various materials for insulation packing. Yours may have deteriorated or moved or whatever. You will need to open up the loco and using a meter (if you have one ) try to ascertain where the short is.

If you are not comfortable attempting this then all I can suggest is that you take it or post to a model shop that carry out repairs.
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd

Shed 38C

Postby Shed 38C » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:10 pm

Hi thanks for the reply but no its not dcc

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:24 pm

There's probably a stray piece of metal got between the chassis halves, shorting them out.

One obvious question to ask is have you made any adjustments or alterations to the loco immediately before this problem was noticed? I once bought a Bach split chassis loco as a non runner, and the reason was that the owner had substituted a keeper plate retaining screw with something too large, which shorted out the chassis halves. Adding weight can also cause a problem if it bridges across, and something metal dropped down the chimney can also stop the loco.

Take the chassis out of the body, and give the slot in the centreline of the chassis a good inspection with a bright light to see if anything is bridging them , (except for the motor which is in insulation, and the through screws which are in plastic collars) if necessary remove the keeper plate and take a look from below with the wheelset out. You can test at any time by applying track power to the chassis halves, to see if the fault has been cleared.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:37 pm

I had a similar problem to Bigmet, it had all of the correct screws holding the two halves of the chassis together but two long ones were screwed into opposing holes. When tightened up they met in the middle! Once I'd worked out which side should have the short ones and which the long it was simple.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Shed 38C

Postby Shed 38C » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:55 pm

many thanks for the replies.Took it apart and could not see a problem anywhere put it back together still the same then did it all again put it back together and hey presto its working.Once again many thanks for replies

Return to “Bachmann”