Bachmann Suburban Mk1's Flush Glazing suppliers?

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
littlenobby

Bachmann Suburban Mk1's Flush Glazing suppliers?

Post by littlenobby »

Afternoon fellow modellers,
I've recently purchased 2 Bachmann Suburban Mk1's (Composite and Second) and after weathering the underframe and adding shorter couplings would like to bring them up to date with flush glazing, after using as many variations of the words "Suburban, Bachmann, Mk1, Flush Glazing" on google, I had no luck. So, would any of you folk know of a supplier of flush glazing units for these coaches? And if anybody has any experience of replacing them, how easy would the process be to do so?

Many thanks in advance

Tom
GROTLAND

Re: Bachmann Suburban Mk1's Flush Glazing suppliers?

Post by GROTLAND »

Hello. This should do the trick

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Flushglaze% ... 0Table.htm

SE96 I think
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

If you can track him down, Replica sell packets of injection moulded ones for their own Mk1-derived kits, which fit the Bachmann suburbans with a bit of fettling. They don't have the vac-formed look of the SEF ones. They do normal Mk1 windows too.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
Mike Parkes

Post by Mike Parkes »

If you do use the SEF ones it can help to refit the original glazing after fitting the SEF glazing as this will help to keep the SEF glazing in place in case the glue that you use fails and any printed detail (toilet windows, handrails on corridor stock for example) will be replicated.
Last edited by Mike Parkes on Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
littlenobby

Post by littlenobby »

Thankyou for the swift replies folks, I'll get on to SE finecast right away!

Regards
Tom
rocketman

Post by rocketman »

The old Replica manufacturer and stalwart of southern exhibitions do flush glazing designed for these very vehicles.
Railwayania
Unit 46,
BSS House,
Cheney Manor,
Swindon,
SN2 2PJ
Tel 01793 642594
Fax 01793 511964
(no website)
Regards
rocketman
CPR 2860

Post by CPR 2860 »

Tom,

How did you modify/shorten couplers? :)

Cheers.

Andy
Xerces Fobe

Post by Xerces Fobe »

Replica windows fit DC kits suburban units well but have to be filed to fit into Bachmann suburban coaches

Xerces Fobe
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

I don't know how Tom shortened the coupling distance, but the simplest option if staying with RTR couplers is to unscrew the old, and screw on the shorter miniature couplings with the same fitting from Bachmann. An even simpler option if running these coaches in fixed formation sets (which is how they were commonly used) is to use a staple hand formed out of wire in the coupler screw holes within the set. The sort of wire used to make large paperclips, or florists wire, are suitable. That way you can tinker wth the coupling distance, to make it as close as your layout curves permit.

Best of all is to fit sprung buffers throughout and couple using a screwlink coupling : only possible if your layout curves are 30" radius or larger though.
littlenobby

Post by littlenobby »

The simple way I used was to unscrew the (newer style narrow) couplers from their normal position and move them back behind the old locating studs and affix with superglue, if only used on railways with very shallow prototypical curves, they look very convincingly close, and also remain universal with everything else...