Class 25 problem ???

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.

Class 25 problem ???

Postby 47593 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:07 pm

I got the digial passenger set to get going.
It's had a few hours running straight from the box all in the same direction.
Tonight I tryed it in the other direction and it sounds like it derailed only it isn't.
The noise is coming from the motor as if summit is catching, but then is fine in the other direction?

Help
what is wrong and how do I fix it

Peterm

Re: Class 25 problem ???

Postby Peterm » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:41 am

What Loco' is it ?
Have a look at the pick ups where they touch the backs of the wheels, one might be bent and touching spokes or a bit of rough casting in one direction. If this is all ok, then you'll have to check the gears. However, if it's new, your best bet would be to take it back to the retailer if it's not too far away.
Pete.

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:54 am

47593 wrote:I got the digial passenger set to get going.
It's had a few hours running straight from the box all in the same direction.
Tonight I tryed it in the other direction and it sounds like it derailed only it isn't.
The noise is coming from the motor as if summit is catching, but then is fine in the other direction?

Help
what is wrong and how do I fix it

It's most likely one of the plastic cups that the drive shafts are connected to is slipping and therefore causing one of the bogie drive wheels not to turn.
This why it sounds like a bogie has derailed when running.

If your loco is new, return it to the shop for either repair or replacment.

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:06 am

Is it running OK despite making this rattling or grating noise? (I notice you are not complaining about it not running in the direction it makes the noise.) If that is the case just run it for an hour or two in the noisy direction to see if it quiets.

Reason: this can quite simply be slightly hardened lubricant swept off the gears all to one side, from running it in one direction only from new. Give it a similar run in the other direction and you will redistribute the lubricant.

Generally this is one of the sweetest running chassis available in OO, and pretty robust. The loose drive cup problem is something that occasionally happens in the Bach chassis design, (and is also easily fixed once you have some familiarity with the mechanisms) but generally Bach's Bo-Bo chassis are largely trouble free, and just run and run... If it doesn't quiet down, or gets worse in some way, then take it back for refund or replacement as already advised.

Postby 47593 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:58 am

Thanks for your help guys
it's 25034 and came in a set mail order from hattons so I don't want to have to return it as i will have to return the whole set and lose my controller. So that will be last resort.
It runs perfect one way smooth and silent. It runs fine the other way just with that noise. My heljan 27 made the same noise out of the box but stopped after a few minutes running.
I will try some slow running in the noisy direction to see if it is the harded oil thing as mentioned above.
Hopefully it is that and it sorts it self out.
Having said that the direction that it runs ok in is the direction that has the driver at the front, so I might put all the detail on, remove the coupling and just have it running that way as it won't be doing any shunting or owt.
Thank

Return to “Bachmann”