Bachmann class 20

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
bizzyd6405

Bachmann class 20

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:47 pm

hi i was wondering if any one could help me i want a sound loco for my layout and i'm thinking of getting a Bachmann
Class 20 with dcc sound but they aren't in the correct livery for my layout so i was wondering if i could fit the hornby class 20 body shell that i all ready have would this fit the bachmann chassis?

cheers

Darren

Zunnan

Re: Bachmann class 20

Postby Zunnan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:23 pm

You would be much better off getting a Howes chip for the Hornby/ex-Lima class 20 to save finding out the expensive way that the Bachmann chassis may not fit without a fight. I'm almost certain that the Hornby class 20 has some dimension discrepancies, so it is likely that there will be some butchery needed to fit the Bachmann chassis.

Worth considering also is that the sound recording used in the Bachmann class 20 is utterly awful. They modified the recording to simulate the loco running at anything over half throttle, and once you reach that point you really do notice it. I had to go through the expense of sending mine (3 of them!) to Howes to get the sound re-blown, but the difference is well worth it. If you have the Hornby chassis, I would get the Howes chip personally.

bizzyd6405

Postby bizzyd6405 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:49 pm

cheers for that i've just had a look on the howes website and there all out of stock :(

K9-70

Postby K9-70 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:51 pm

bizzyd6405 wrote:hi i was wondering if any one could help me i want a sound loco for my layout and i'm thinking of getting a Bachmann
Class 20 with dcc sound but they aren't in the correct livery for my layout so i was wondering if i could fit the hornby class 20 body shell that i all ready have would this fit the bachmann chassis?

cheers

Darren

The Limby Class 20 body won't fit the Bachmann Class 20 chassis.
Check out ebay for a Bachmann Class 20 body for your chassis as there's usually a few of them up for auction.

K9-70
The Rides the "REASON" the "DESTINATION" is only an "EXCUSE" :-).

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:04 pm

Some modification is also needed to Bachmann body shells to fit the Sound chassis, not hard to do at all. My Railfreight Red Stripe 20s and an older weathered BR Blue example had to have the fan assembly removed (it just unscrews and drops out) and the locating screw holes for the fan cut down to clear the speaker. I damaged a speaker when I swapped bodies and didn't remove the fan assembly mountings.

andy23

Postby andy23 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:13 am

Hi, your best course of action is as preveously discribed. Regarding the howes chip, if you give the a ring as i did they record them on to the chip to order normally as the chips come in stock.I had to wait 4 weeks for mine, but it was well worth the wait!

Hope this helps,

andy23 :D

Lewis Nash

Postby Lewis Nash » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:19 pm

By a sound fitted class 20 from Hattons and buy a railfreight/br blue body and swap the bodys,so you have a sound bachmann 20 with a realistic colour scheme,ebay sell class 20 body shells,have a look. :wink:

Regards
Lewis
NASHTON
website- http://nashton.webs.com/index.htm

ARPLEY STREET
http://arpleystreetmodelrailway.webs.com/
class 60 preservation group-http://www.c60pg.co.uk/
Lewis[ArpleyModeller]

Return to “Bachmann”