tornado

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
kennyGWSR

tornado

Postby kennyGWSR » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:17 pm

i have a tornado on order at shrewsbury model centre and wanted to know what everyone who has one thinks of it. is it a good runner? whats the haulage like? and what do you think of it as a hole? cheers

kenny

Bigmet

Re: tornado

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:23 am

It's a good model, and since it is of a very good looking prototype, it do look rather fine.

I have A1s, though not this latest Tornado version, and they are all completely reliable runners. Unless Bachmann have changed the set up on this model, they don't pull as well as they should out of the box, but this can easily be fixed. Two things to work on, the spring on the trailing truck needs to be reduced in length to about a third of what Bachmann supply, and also the loco-tender drawbar needs to be adjusted so that the back end of the loco isn't being supported by the tender. Between them these two take a lot of weight off the driving wheels which as a result slip a lot, limiting the load it will pull. Fix these problems and it pulls well.

There's a lot of space in that big boiler to add weight if you want to: fairly much fill it up and it will then pull anything you care to hook on.

Black-Marlin

Postby Black-Marlin » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:18 am

I have a model of 'Tornado', and I must say I'm not entirely sure what bigmet is referring to. The rear pony truck is fixed, with the (flanged) truck wheels having a huge amount of play to allow the locomotive to corner even on 2nd radius curves. Similarly, the tender rests on top of the locomotive drawbar, so it takes no weight at all off the locomotive. In consequence, I had mine running quite happily (and with a fair turn of speed!) at the head of a 12-coach train. Two things to be aware of, though neither of them are particularly major - the truck and tender wheels, having a lot of lateral play, need fairly regular lubrication to prevent squeaking; and because of the play, the locomotive can be troublesome to place on the track. And there you have my most major criticisms - yes, this model really is that good!

Regards,
Gavin

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:55 am

Hi

A couple of more points I think firstly it is an outstanding model. Worth getting. It has no removal coal load so you have to cut that out if you want to add you own real coal. It also has no firebox detail but that does not bother me in the slightest.
I have A1s, though not this latest Tornado version, and they are all completely reliable runners. Unless Bachmann have changed the set up on this model, they don't pull as well as they should out of the box, but this can easily be fixed. Two things to work on, the spring on the trailing truck needs to be reduced in length to about a third of what Bachmann supply, and also the loco-tender drawbar needs to be adjusted so that the back end of the loco isn't being supported by the tender. Between them these two take a lot of weight off the driving wheels which as a result slip a lot, limiting the load it will pull. Fix these problems and it pulls well.

There's a lot of space in that big boiler to add weight if you want to: fairly much fill it up and it will then pull anything you care to hook on.

It may have changed slightly from the older A1, I dont know but I am sure Bigmet is right about this as I have read it elsewhere. The boiler has a huge amount of space as Bigmet said one of the best I have seen to date. I have stripped down mine completely and removed the smoke box door. I am debating if I will file another 1mm out of the inner boiler allowing me to put a whopping 23mm speaker in there. The boiler and the cab are plastic but just about everything else is alloy.

Bachmann have also gone to the effort of adding plenty of cab detail, mind you not up to Hornby standards of lets say the 4mt but good all the same. It has a lots of parts in the detailing pack and some etched name plates which are just outstanding.

If you run modern or steam this loco is an excellent addition to you fleet.

martin

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Black-Marlin wrote:I have a model of 'Tornado', and I must say I'm not entirely sure what bigmet is referring to.

My A1s (BR liveried Tornado, North Eastern, Aberdonian, were acquired early in the production run (Mashima motors!) and it could well be that Bachmann have now sorted out the small problems I found, which would be good news. Excellent models, delighted with mine, and looking forward to having a couple of A2s to run alongside them...

raylner

Postby raylner » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:41 pm

Martin mentioned the fact that these Bachmann models do not have removable coal loads. Personally I am not enclined to cut out fixed existing coal loads so I use transparent plastic kitchen film cut to size and press it onto the coal load after fixing really minute blobs of blue or white tack. I then sprinkle ground real coal and fix it using the same method to glue ballast. It's a bit fiddly but can be removed just by peeling the lot off and your tender or bunker is back to its original condition. I use pieces of real coal which I very gently hammer into very small lumps. I find the lumps of real coal I most often see on tenders are so enormous that I don't think any fireman could lift them if they were that large in real life!

Return to “Bachmann”