Bachmann Announces NRM City Of Truro

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Lysander

Re: Bachmann Announces NRM City Of Truro

Postby Lysander » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:27 pm

Have just seen a Chris Leigh posting on RM Web : no traction tyres, quite heavy and nicely balanced. Able to lift 12 Hornby Mk 1s on level, well-laid track.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:45 am

Lysander wrote:Have just seen a Chris Leigh posting on RM Web : no traction tyres, quite heavy and nicely balanced. Able to lift 12 Hornby Mk 1s on level, well-laid track.

Tony

does anyone actually buy hornby Mk1s anymore? I wonder how that haulage translates into Bachmann Mk1s, I suspect very few!!
I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:03 am

Roughly one and a half Hornby mk1 to Bachmann mk1 (it's simply a weight thing, they are equally free rolling) so reckon on eight Bach mk1s. That's very much a heavyweight load for a loco of this type, representing a trailing load nearing 300 tons. A more likely load for a City expected to keep the top express schedules would be around the 120 to 150 ton mark, half a dozen bogie coaches of comparitively lightweight stock. For comparison, the pre WWII 'Cheltenham flyer' which was the high speed flagship of the GWR was seven coaches of later and significantly heavier stock, a little over 200 tons behind a Castle, which was a loco with near twice the power output potential of a City.

It was the increase in weight of passenger stock which forced the introduction of much bigger engines for passenger service, to haul trains which looked about the same size. What you cannot see in the pictures is that the stock is built successively heavier, stronger, and thus safer, as the decades go by.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:56 am

Pulling Power ?

I'll know when mine arrives, but I can't see the actual limit being lower than you would want to haul. I expect to easily pull a 5 coach train which is probably more than a typical load. An example of pulling power, my Caledonian 4-2-2 easily pulled 11 coaches, yes that has traction tyres, but only drives through 2 wheels. Again that test was of no real concern because in my general use I'd not expect it to haul more than 3 coaches. As to CoT I'll probably have a standard train lenght of just 4 coaches.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:01 pm

Mind's made up & I'll just have to put a certain amount away for the next few coming months(let's hope there'll be any available by then).

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:12 pm

Hopefully you'll be alright. I dont think it's a limited edition and they'll release more while demand continues. Presumably they learned all about eBay scalping with the Deltic.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:39 pm

Certainly hope so,SirMeliot.I rather missed my bus('scuse the pun) with the NRM Deltic & to a greater extent the Bachmann 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley,so it would be pretty stupid to let this one pass me.
The tricky bit would be getting it past the eagle eyes of the Other Half of course............ :lol:

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:01 pm

That's easy it's only one slim box.... you try doing it with a Bachmann 4-CEP!
A bargain is something you really don't need at a price that's completely irresistible!!

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:05 pm

Gawd! Yes,they ARE quite big boxes when you consider having the four together.
Problem for me is that the parcels get left with neighbours,cos we aren't always in,so the likelyhood of me intercepting it is very slim indeed........

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:16 pm

I'm lucky, the sorting office is 5 mins walk from my house :)

but I haven't had my 4-CEP yet. Hattons have so far had 4 blue grey ones in and my pre order is with them. I'm going to be ringing Rails tomorrow as their website still shows it as available and if it is Hattons will lose out.
A bargain is something you really don't need at a price that's completely irresistible!!

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:37 am

I was always fascinated by these things as a youngster(used to see them as "magic carriages",as they had nothing pulling them)
I would have considered a set at some point,but I'm not basing my planned layout in the London or Southern area.
I have been on one(it was in Connex colours) from Chatham to Victoria in Feb 2005 & it was like stepping back in time.....
The wife thought they were a little rustic,but I was in my element,cos the carriage layout was just how I remember it as a 4 year old.A bit like being in London & hopping on a Routemaster......Loved it
:oops: I've taken us off the thread topic again :oops: :roll:

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:44 pm

Metadyneman wrote:That's easy it's only one slim box.... you try doing it with a Bachmann 4-CEP!

To wife-eyes my green 4-CEP looks just like the Maunsell coaches I bought the other day for £12 each. I got the man in the shop to take the price off...

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:21 pm

I have been following this thread with wry amusement and quiet sighs of "How the other half live!"

Great Western enthusiast and fervent admirer of George Jackson Churchward though I am, beautiful model though it may be, buying 3440 isn't even in my realm of dreams. Permit me to tell you a little story to show how I am placed.

After pondering what loco I'd like for my Christmas treat, I finally gave up on GWR stuff (as told in my 43xx thread further down this board) and decided on an olive-green King Arthur to go with my 120 T9. After scouring the Internet in search of bargains I found one going for £80 (the same model is £99 at Hattons). When I mentioned this to SWMBO and she immediately asked what I was paying for it, I remembered the advice someone here gave me once about being "ecomomical with the truth" and (shame on me!) knocked another 25% off the price. She still said "What?!? For one engine?"

You can see I have to be very careful to maintain her ignorance of the cost of our hobby, but the point is that the price of 3440 is utterly out of the question. It's not my period either, not in that (admittedly gorgeous) livery. I'd rather have a Bulldog in plain green, which could be contemporary with 120.

Oh, in case anybody is saying "Where did you get a King Arthur for £80?" it was here:
http://www.ekmpowershop4.com/ekmps/shop ... /index.asp
Their stock is far from comprehensive, but there are some bargains to be had.
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Far from on topic, but hey...
Three of these locos cost £50 each new. The Merchant Navy came from a Premier set with three super-detail Pullmans for £150
There's bargains to be had if you're prepared to wait for them to come around.
The only way you'll get a cheap City of Truro though is to get the Dapol kit.

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:11 pm

Pedanticmongrel wrote:I have ordered mine :D

atm I feel like stabbing you, you lucky sod :P

I think I maybe waiting a while for some 2nd hand ones to come around. I personally wouldn't pay much more than £90 for one loco, but a small one for £145?!?!? you'll be lucky.....oh well, Dapol to the rescue :P

T&C
Henley on Thames in the 30's

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

Return to “Bachmann”