Bachmann Announces NRM City Of Truro

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
DrStroganoff

Bachmann Announces NRM City Of Truro

Postby DrStroganoff » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:37 pm

http://www.gwsr.com/news/latest-news/stunning-new-bachmann-model-launched-at-toddington.aspx

Wow..... Great news !!!

Price wise, we're looking £195 for the limited edition... and then a standard release at £145....

A lot of money for one loco.. But I imagine it will be very special indeed.

PeterH

Re: Bachmann Announces NRM City Of Truro

Postby PeterH » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:14 pm

The model looks absolutly stunning - I want one! I'll have to save my pennies up for it though. A wise move for Bachmann, the models will fly off the shelves I should expect.
"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things."; 'Make Tea, not Love.'
Camel Spotting Thread.
My layout thread.

GHOSTFAN

Postby GHOSTFAN » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:19 pm

"Oh Sam,what a beauty!",but at £145 even for the cheaper release,I'll have to think twice even though I've been waiting for yrs.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:58 pm

Thanks for posting Dr S.

Just ordered mine [not the limited edition - the other one !]. Add a fiver for p&p. Looks like 250 of the l/e and an initial 500 of the other. Going quickly.....

Tony.
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:07 pm

I have ordered mine :D

I'm back and now I model in 'Strain your eyes gauge'...

Æthelberht

Postby Æthelberht » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:16 pm

Does anyone know if it is only available by ordering over the phone? Since seems despite what that article states its not actually on the online shop.

Lysander

Postby Lysander » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:20 pm

Can't help you there - maybe on-line in a day or two, when they have updated their site ? Bought mine over phone. Only available [so far] at the Museum.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

DrStroganoff

Postby DrStroganoff » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:25 pm

Any word on when they'll actually be in stock at the NRM?

I'm assuming they arent available yet and you guys have pre-ordered ?

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:26 pm

DrStroganoff wrote:Any word on when they'll actually be in stock at the NRM?

I'm assuming they arent available yet and you guys have pre-ordered ?

They get dispatched Dec 16th.

GHOSTFAN

Postby GHOSTFAN » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:34 pm

Having thought about it,I'll not be bothering at that price.
Perhaps when Bachmann have "realized the model's commercial potential"/"screwed the market for all it's worth" with their various platinum,standard,boxed,de luxe cased etc. versions they might consider releasing a bog standard City of Wherever version in a cardboard box at a more realistic price.
Until then good luck to those who are prepared to pay these prices.

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:54 pm

GHOSTFAN wrote:Having thought about it,I'll not be bothering at that price.
Perhaps when Bachmann have "realized the model's commercial potential"/"screwed the market for all it's worth" with their various platinum,standard,boxed,de luxe cased etc. versions they might consider releasing a bog standard City of Wherever version in a cardboard box at a more realistic price.
Until then good luck to those who are prepared to pay these prices.

Seconded

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:39 pm

Well did they release the prototype deltic as a normal model? if the did then they will with the city of truro.

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:45 pm

It's all in the linked article. The inital £195 release gets you a fancy box and a plastic thing to stand it on.
Later on there's a £145 release sans fancy box and plastic thing.

The NRM can keep their fancy box and plastic thing and I'll keep my £50. I'll be getting the second release.
Or maybe I should get the first release just to sell to idiots on eBay for £500 :?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:03 pm

Like the Prototype Deltic this is an NRM/Bachmann co-production, and this and any future such projects are specifically fund raisers for the NRM. A hefty chunk of the purchase price goes to support one of the most important railway museums in the world.

We will be able to judge whether they have pitched the price right by the e-bay activity once the initial run has sold out. If they start going for double the purchase price the way the Deltics did, then expect the next model to have the price advanced further. The NRM desperately needs the cash, and if the e-bayistas indicate that the value is significantly higher than the original asking price, they should go for it.

What will be interesting is the deal between the NRM and Bachmann, regarding future use of the tooling. Unlike the Deltic, where the production version was already available, there simply isn't a GWR 4-4-0 currently available in OO RTR. Will Bachmann have negotiated a deal so that they can do other GWR 4-4-0's using shared components for example? A lot of people (my wife included) would be very interested in the Dukedog that may be experienced on the Bluebell line, which could share the mechanism and tender of CoT. If I cannot buy one in the fairly near future, I am under orders to construct a model, so that would be a real 'save' for me.

Pedanticmongrel

Postby Pedanticmongrel » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:09 pm

Bigmet wrote:Like the Prototype Deltic this is an NRM/Bachmann co-production, and this and any future such projects are specifically fund raisers for the NRM. A hefty chunk of the purchase price goes to support one of the most important railway museums in the world.

We will be able to judge whether they have pitched the price right by the e-bay activity once the initial run has sold out. If they start going for double the purchase price the way the Deltics did, then expect the next model to have the price advanced further. The NRM desperately needs the cash, and if the e-bayistas indicate that the value is significantly higher than the original asking price, they should go for it.

What will be interesting is the deal between the NRM and Bachmann, regarding future use of the tooling. Unlike the Deltic, where the production version was already available, there simply isn't a GWR 4-4-0 currently available in OO RTR. Will Bachmann have negotiated a deal so that they can do other GWR 4-4-0's using shared components for example? A lot of people (my wife included) would be very interested in the Dukedog that may be experienced on the Bluebell line, which could share the mechanism and tender of CoT. If I cannot buy one in the fairly near future, I am under orders to construct a model, so that would be a real 'save' for me.

You mention the dukedog, now I haven't been informed of anything as yet but that's my tip for Hornby's line up next year if not the year after, they have already done the tender for one (Grange) and have meausured the real 9017 a few times in recent years. Watch this space.

Return to “Bachmann”