Bachmann Cl 47

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
philali1710

Bachmann Cl 47

Postby philali1710 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:36 am

Hi, I have 47035 running as my first DCC loco with a ESU Lok Pilot 21 pin decoder installed. Can anyone advise if the roof mounted fans on this loco are supposed to spin or not - as mine don't?

Thanks

Bigmet

Re: Bachmann Cl 47

Postby Bigmet » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:11 pm

They are not driven (as on some of the Hornby diesels) but are freely enough mounted in most cases that they will spin if you blow on them.

philali1710

Postby philali1710 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:48 pm

Ah thank you! Blowing on the fan to make it rotate as the loco orbits the layout sounds like a bit of a faff - I feel the novelty of seeing the fan going round would probably last.... one rotation of the fan!
Bit surprised that Hornby locos have the facility but Bachmann don't.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:29 pm

You might find its only one of the Hornby locos that do this IIRC its the sound version of their class 31

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:04 am

Hornby are the only manufacturer so far to have fitted working (i.e rotating as the loco moves) fans in the class 50 and the class 31 i'm not sure if they have put it in any others but as i have 3 class 50s and a 31 I can confirm all have working fans. The Bachmann 47 has free spinning fans which go round - as has been described- when you blow on them but they are not "motorised" like the Hornby ones. I removed the fans from my sound fitted 47 altogether so the speaker was not muffled.

To be honest, although it is a nice touch by Hornby it does seem an awful lot of "mechanics" to put in a loco simply to make a partially hidden fan go round which can't be seen when the loco is running at speed.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

SRman

Postby SRman » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:02 pm

Additional to Metadyneman's list: Hornby's class 56 also has powered fans (plural!).

spongebob

Postby spongebob » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:12 am

philali1710 wrote:Ah thank you! Blowing on the fan to make it rotate as the loco orbits the layout sounds like a bit of a faff - I feel the novelty of seeing the fan going round would probably last.... one rotation of the fan!
Bit surprised that Hornby locos have the facility but Bachmann don't.

They've gotta justify the price difference somehow I suppose. One of those gimmicks which unlike opening doors Bachmann haven't yet bothered to copy.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:40 am

I'll take gimmick free and a lower price any day of the week. Hornby have gone down a path of detail and features that are basically of no real purpose from my point of view. But presumably they know their market well enough to calculate that these things are of interest to sufficient of their customer base to attract sales. Fortunately most of what I am interested in is made by Bach. so I get most of my RTR models at a more sensible price.

traincrazy1

Postby traincrazy1 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:41 pm

Fortunately most of what I am interested in is made by Bach. so I get most of my RTR models at a more sensible price.
Me too :D
Who actually needs a spinny fan thingmebob anyway? Surely if the loco's moving you can't see it easily, and if it's stopped the fan won't move anyway???
Seems rather pointless.
(\__/)
(o.o) (")
|><| / / This is tiny Bunny mk2. Copy him into you
signature [including this text apparently] and help him in his mission of
world domination.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:32 am

I agree moving fans are a bit of a waste .....

My Hornby Class 31 has jerky fan movement or even stalls at very slow speed, which is the only time when it's slow enough to look inside the grille !! Speed up and the 'elastic band' drive grips better, but almost impossible to see ....... So yes I'm with Bigmet, it's something I wouldn't even notice should they drop the idea.

Overall looks and running are the two main selling criteria for me ..... plus working running lights and even interior lighting, something which Bachmann seem to include on a greater range of models than Hornby, particularly their DMU's. So to me Bachmann have it right.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:16 pm

My personal preference for my layout, being an outdoor one, is the Heljan 47. For all it's faults of being a bit on the tubby side etc., etc., the running qualities and sheer robustness of it actually outstrips the Bachmann 47. The motor is a lot stronger in my opinion too. The two I have got, thunder round the garden at a really decent speed whereas the Bachmann ones, although just as able to pull a good load, seem a bit "wimpy" on the top speed side especially in cold weather for some reason.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

philali1710

Postby philali1710 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:57 pm

Thanks for all your insight on the hot topic of (non) rotating roof fans gents! I'm definitely with you on the pointlessness of them - just wanted to be sure I hadn't bought something that wasn't fully functioning.

One additional question on Bachmann 47's - Father Christmas brought me the 'sister' loco to 47035 which is 47148 with the 4 character headcode also in BR blue/yellow. My layout is set around 1978-1982 (ish) so the headcode blinds were already a thing of the past by then. Does anyone know if it's possible to buy the 'domino dot' headcode blind component that Bachmann fit into 47035 and switch it with the 4 character setup in 47148 so they look the same?

I've had a try with Bachmann - who I'm sure could sell it to me if they wanted to - but the easy answer on the email from them was -"no we can't help".

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:42 pm

You could try and re do the headcode to show four Zeros. There were quite a few locos showing this around the late 70s

philali1710

Postby philali1710 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:44 pm

That's not a bad idea! I'll look into that I think.

ta

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:24 am

Metadyneman wrote:You could try and re do the headcode to show four Zeros. There were quite a few locos showing this around the late 70s

Was actually three zeros. The second character is the letter "O".

Return to “Bachmann”