Class 47 possible bogie issue?

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
richsam

Class 47 possible bogie issue?

Postby richsam » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:56 pm

Hi everyone
I have a brand new class 47 university of nottingham.

I noticed that when i run it in one direction around a 3rd radius curve, the front wheel hops off the track, but going in the opposite direction all is fine.

Any suggestions as to why this is?

Thanks in advance for your help

Phil

Bigmet

Re: Class 47 possible bogie issue?

Postby Bigmet » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:25 pm

Is it only one of the bogies that ever derails in this way? If so check that bogie very closely by putting a steel straightedge on the tyres each side and sighting along the edge contacting the tyres. If the straightedge can rock on the centre wheelset - either of one or both sides - this is a known problem that can occur on Bachmann CoCo bogies. Probably best to return for refund/replacement if you find this problem since it is new.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:29 am

Sometimes you need to back off the screw that holds the bogie in the frame. They can be a bit inflexible at times. Bachmann Co-Cos can be super sensitive to even the slightest undulation in the track. If you're not confident on getting in there to do it, I would suggest you do as Bigmet says and return the item for a replacement.

richsam

Postby richsam » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:22 pm

thank you all for the replies.

the gears are grinding at slow speeds too. i took both towers apart, not that much in the way of lubrication, so i wonder if some (not much) lube is in order

also the bogies do rock a bit on an even surface. by the looks of things the center wheel is too low on one of the towers compared to the outer two.

so, now what?

cheers in advance, phil

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:00 am

I definitely think you should have returned it!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:26 am

Now what? It is decision time.

You have a fault of unsatisfactory operation, for which you now suspect a reason. This is clearly within the terms of the warranty. Now you choose.

If the model can be reassembled into 'as received' condition, return with the fault report of derailment at one end on curves, and your diagnosis of the low lying centre wheelset causing the bogie to rock.

If you want to attempt to fix it for yourself, then it is all on your own head, as the warranty terms are effectively voided by fiddling about with the model's mechanism.

The 'fiddling about' is very lightly opening up the locations in the plastic bogie frame, in which the brass bearings for the centre axle fit. It has to be done very delicately so that the brass bearings are still correctly centrally positioned and retained, until all three wheelset tyres sit on a steel straightedge each side so that there is no rocking. Slow and patient adjustments are the order of the day, I did this job with nothing more sophisticated than a jeweller's rat tail file.

If you are up for it, give it a try. There are no guarantees in this, as it is down to your own workmanship. (I can tell you this process has worked for me, but I have been fiddling about with this kind of thing on models a long time.)

Even if it all goes wrong, the model is not irretrievable as Bachmann sell bogies as spares when in stock and their prices are reasonable.

Return to “Bachmann”