Bachmann 32-166 Class N

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
muggins

Bachmann 32-166 Class N

Postby muggins » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:00 am

Am I right in thinking that 32-166 is the latest version? Be that as it may, smooth running at scale speeds on DC is what matters most to me, so is this loco reckoned to be any good? If it helps to know, my yardsticks are the Bachmnann E2 and the Hornby J15.

Bigmet

Re: Bachmann 32-166 Class N

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:37 am

Yes it is the current release. It's unlikely to be quite as smooth out of the box as the two you mention (I have a J15, creamy smooth, very impressive drive design!) because one critical aspect of the design is to the original 'Blue Riband' standard. The driving wheels run directly in locations in the cast chassis block, instead of in turned brass insert journals which are now standard on both Bachmann and Hornby products.

A couple of hours operation without load at a moderate pace, reversing every quarter of an hour, will sort out the smoothness by polishing up the cast locations. This mechanism has the great advantage of a spring plunger acting on a driven axle, a real asset for efficient pick up. (If it were mne, following the running in I would 'get in there' by removing the keeper plate to check that there is adequate grease in each axle location and to ensure that the spring plunger is operating freely, and to adjust the wheelback wipers for positive wheelback contact. Bach's assembly operators rarely position them sticking out far enough, I bend all mine out to 45 degrees. Obviously if there are squealing sounds of a dry bearing when the model is being run in, proceed to the lubrication check without delay.)

I have around thirty Bachmann steam models with this mechanism type (examples of WD and O4 2-8-0, A1 and A2 pacific, Std 5 4-6-0, K3, Ivatt 4MT and BR std 4 2-6-0, 57xx and Jinty 0-6-0T, Fairburn 2-6-4T, BR std 9F 2-10-0). The oldest have been running satisfactorily for well over fifteen years, and as I operate practically every day they have all had a thorough work out: yet to have a single mechanism failure from any cause. I reckon they will outlast me...

muggins

Postby muggins » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:07 am

Thank you once again for a most comprehensive and useful answer. Yep, that's the problem with the Hornby J15 - all I've managed to find that's in the same league for smooth slow running (as far as steam outline on DC's concerned) is the Bachmann E2 and (I hate to say it but) Hatton's P4.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:29 pm

If you want a 2-6-0 of similar refinement, I can personally vouch for the Hornby K1 as a very satisfactory item. Ran alongside the J15 so it is 'a fit' with something you already own. They are on offer at a very keen price at Hattons (and quite likely other retailers too, check around). Very little in the way of on-line problem reports, just some releases a couple of years back with a slight curve in the foot plating due to poor assembly.

RFS

Postby RFS » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Do you mean the Bachmann E2? Hornby produce the E2 which is quite an old model, whereas Bachmann's model is of the E4.

I have both the E4 and the N, which is an older version the current model. The N does run quite smoothly and it's DCC-fitted with a Lenz Silver mini decoder.
Robert Smith

muggins

Postby muggins » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:30 pm

Bigmet wrote:If you want a 2-6-0 of similar refinement, I can personally vouch for the Hornby K1 as a very satisfactory item ...

Ah. Hmmm. Now there's a thought. I see 'atton's are doing them for £82, And the running number's 62032. Which I distinctly remember was a regular on excursions to the Lincolnshire coast in my train-spotting days ...

RFS wrote:Do you mean the Bachmann E2? Hornby produce the E2 which is quite an old model, whereas Bachmann's model is of the E4.

I have both the E4 and the N, which is an older version the current model. The N does run quite smoothly and it's DCC-fitted with a Lenz Silver mini decoder.

Yes, for "E2" read "E4" . I plead both a new interest in matters Southern and the apparent approach of early senility.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:28 am

Further options then. Both of Hornby's D16/3 and B12/3 are delights. All metal boilers as on the J15 mean they have the traction they should. My B12 and D16 stand in for one of Cambridge's B1 or B17 allocation more often than is realistic, for the joy of seeing them run.

If it is Southern, then Bachmann's C class is almost as pretty as the J15, and an equally smooth runner. (Real favourite on my cross London goods transfer turns to Ferme Park - ECML.) I have seen good reports of the 700 class running as well as the J15 does, but due to superheating mods these were near as ugly as Mr Bulleid's coffee pot. (Hornby's model of which is also a good runner!).

My favourite among smaller Southern models, Hornby's M7, and I only purchased it as mechanism feedstock for a project that is still in a long 'to do' queue. The mechanism is out of Hornby's top drawer, really smooth, and the traction amazing for such a difficult wheel arrangement, but only on level track. If you have any gradients on your layout not really suitable, loses its feet. But if the track is level, this little beauty will realistically move a dozen of Bachmann's mk1s at smooth low speed, just as seen in their final employment on ECS at Waterloo. Really very good indeed.

muggins

Postby muggins » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Cheers Bigmet. Off now to smurf the web for a while, looking at locos I don't need and can't possibly justify buying.

No.

Must resist....

Return to “Bachmann”