GWR Hall Manor class chassis swap

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
GWR_fan

GWR Hall Manor class chassis swap

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:31 pm

As yet Bachmann have not released the Manor in a non-split chassis form but circa-2005 released the Hall class in a revised DCC ready guise. Given the Hall is scaled approximately 4 mm longer and 1 mm larger driving wheel diameter, I am curious if the DCC ready chassis could be grafted to the Manor body accepting the scale differences.

Edit: the Grange class had the same diameter driving wheels as the Manor class and the same length as the Hall class, however, Bachmann do not make a Grange and converting a Hornby Grange chassis to the Manor body may be more problematic.

GWR_fan

Re: GWR Hall Manor class chassis swap

Postby GWR_fan » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:22 pm

As a follow up, I found that I had a DCC ready Hall class to compare with. From the buffer beam aft the wheel spacings are the same with the increase in length of the Hall under the cab. For info, a DCC ready Hall chassis is not a direct replacement for a split chassis Hall as the method of mounting the chassis is different. Thus any attempt at a conversion of the Manor class would require the sacrifice of the donor Hall. I was hoping with a bit of engineering to salvage both donor and recipient locomotives, but not so.

I was looking to a DCC ready chassis for both Manors that I have because even though purchased new in Cambrian Coast trainsets, both models ran like hairy goats from new. I have run them for much longer than a normal running-in period but both like to misbehave. If not run for a couple of months then they stall and splutter around the track, regularly requiring a push. After a few minutes coaxing they slowly improve until running acceptably. Then the whole process is repeated in the opposite direction.

A split chassis modified Hall "Mere Hall" had not been run in over five years and yet ran smoothly straight from the box.

I believe that a replacement DCC ready chassis for the Manor is not even on the drawing boards, so probably a minimum five or more years yet.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:14 am

After further testing the project is not really feasible so have shelved any future plans.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:29 am

GWR_fan wrote:...the Grange class had the same diameter driving wheels as the Manor class and the same length as the Hall class, however, Bachmann do not make a Grange and converting a Hornby Grange chassis to the Manor body may be more problematic.

I would guess as much from a parallel experience. I wanted to repower a Mainline body Jubilee, and got the current Hornby rebuilt Patriot when one was offered cheaply with a view to attempting this. No go in short. The Manline has very thick moulded walls in a 'one shot' body making it stiff, while the Hornby model is moulded in multiple thin sections making the body flexible. That flexibility is required to admit the mechanism, and an attempt to produce this flexibility is problematic.

woode

Postby woode » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:10 pm

Manor Replacement Chassis

It should be possible to replace the Manor chassis with an Airfix/GMR Prairie chassis in the same
way as a 43xx. The front bogie would need some adapting.

Look at “Bachmann 43xx Split Chassis Issues” for 43xx conversation and problems.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:14 am

GWR_fan wrote:
I was looking to a DCC ready chassis for both Manors that I have because even though purchased new in Cambrian Coast trainsets, both models ran like hairy goats from new. I have run them for much longer than a normal running-in period but both like to misbehave. If not run for a couple of months then they stall and splutter around the track, regularly requiring a push. After a few minutes coaxing they slowly improve until running acceptably. Then the whole process is repeated in the opposite direction.

I had this with one of the last production runs of the Patriot with a split chassis before the new model came out in about 2010. It drove me potty trying to make it run smoothly. In the end I added 4 extra pickups in the tender and it ran perfectly all the time afterwards. I just could not found out why it refused to pick up off the drive wheels when running from cold so to speak. Like yours, after several minutes of coaxing it would run fine.

Return to “Bachmann”