Dukedog slow running performance

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
Gordon234

Dukedog slow running performance

Postby Gordon234 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:46 am

Good evening!

I am enjoying my Bachmann Earl class locomotive #9028 ( BR black ), which just arrived the other day in the mail. As recommended, I am steadily running it in at slow and moderate speeds, both backwards and forwards, and always as a light engine, with no wagons or vans attached yet.

It is performing very well at slow and moderate speeds on the main line, but when I want it to just barely crawl along, this engine has a slight "hitch" each time the rods go around; it does not stall, but a noticeable jerkiness in its progress results. ( I know it should be able to crawl along smoothly, since I have seen this locomotive in action on one of Sam's Trains video reviews ) Is there anything I can do to remedy this, or do I simply stay the course and continue to run it in at varying speeds, in the hopes that this jerkiness eventually disappears?

Any advice / help you can provide me with would be very much appreciated. In all other respects this Dukedog is a wonderful engine.

Lysander

Re: Dukedog slow running performance

Postby Lysander » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:34 am

Gordon

Forum members are always prepared to assist with queries like your’s but they also appreciate acknowledgment and thanks. A lot of replies were given to your question about painting a loco, both on here and in another forum. Sadly, you appear to have ignored the advice completely by not recognising the help offered. If you would like a good response to your current question, it might be worth revisiting your earlier postings first, if only to confirm whether or not you found the responses helpful. Failures to acknowledge assistance do tend to antagonise members somewhat.

Tony
Men with false teeth may yet speak the truth.......

Gordon234

Postby Gordon234 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:53 am

Hello again,
Sorry about that, Lysander; I have always been very thankful for the advice and suggestions I have received on these forums, and will make sure I acknowledge them more often in future. Posters on these websites have been more than generous in helping me out. Thanks for the reminder.
Sincerely, Gordon

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:25 pm

More running in?

I couldn't find a service sheet online but here is an interesting article
Regards
Rob

Gordon234

Postby Gordon234 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:43 pm

Very informative article; just by luck ( or accident? ) the majority of my branchline is on the level. The one exception is the loading ramp up to a coal dock, where my Dukedog will have no business being! Interesting about that sprung front bogie. Thanks again.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi Gordon234 - I've no experience of the Dukedog, but have had Truro since the first release by NRM, no not us, that other lot in York. The pick up wipers needed setting to run on the back of the tyres, not on the wheel centres. Check the coupling rods, it's easy to apply pressure to one and make it bow inwards. That changes its effective length and a tight spot when the wheels rotate.
Much further than that unless you feel competent to take it apart the best bet is to return it to the dealers or to Bachmann. I did a bit of spring tweaking when I took off the front bogie to shorten the NEM socket, I cut off about half of its length, after filing down the bit cut off I attached it inside the bogie. The end of the coupling just clears the front axle of the bogie. After a few squeezes I reduced the spring to the point where coupled wheels sat firmly on the rails.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:28 am

I personally do not abide by a period of "running in" curing a faulty loco. If a loco falters in one position from new then could be a combination of issues. The gear teeth are fairly coarse so I do not think the axles are fitted one tooth out. A moulding mark on a gear tooth may cause an issue, although I believe Bachmann are pretty good these days with their gearsets.

My "fix", although it is cheating, is to slowly run the loco at the slowest possible speed until it binds. Stop exactly at that spot and check the siderods for tightness. If both are loose then the issue is internal (gear placement, wheel/axle splines or perhaps just a heavy grease application causing internal binding) If one rod is tight then I slightly enlargen the hole at one end of the tight rod to overcome (mask) the issue causing the bind.

Gordon234

Postby Gordon234 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:28 am

Again, thanks so much for all your support! As was suggested in one of the posts above, I think my best course of action will be to return my Dukedog to the dealer for a replacement. This venerable 4-4-0 will eventually run on my branchline!

Return to “Bachmann”