Blue Pullman retooled

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
dubdee1000

Re: Blue Pullman retooled

Postby dubdee1000 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:34 am

Perhaps Bachmann have decided to see the market in a different way. A high first run price but no second run with potentially unsold models. Demand and supply curves!

I think my Pullman will go the same way as my APT - a remotor and then making the best of what I already have

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:08 am

D605Eagle wrote:Even with that top end loco you quoted you're still £300 shy with £50 coaches.

Another interpretation is two locos as both power cars are powered, four coaches, and if I read the description correctly there's some species of Bachmann's Dynamis DCC system packaged with it. (Comparisons on price are so buyer dependent it's hardly worth going there: I want complete trains for the ECML, and can look at what my eight QoS cars plus Ivatt atlantic cost for example as a comparator; meaningless for someone who really wants an all singing and dancing Derby type 2.)

I rather think that after dealers have got whatever 'completist collector' sales there may be on the full package and once Bach's discount limit has expired, then the Dynamis system will be split out, and there will be deals to be had.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:32 am

I thought the last outing of the blue pullman would have been discounted by now as its quite some time since its release, but so far I've not seen one with much discount.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:55 pm

The price given by Bachmann is actually £949.95 :o The pre order prices being quoted include 15% discount. It does include "DCC Railcontroller" which is a £49.95 (price before any discounts) piece of software

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:15 pm

D605Eagle wrote:I thought the last outing of the blue pullman would have been discounted by now as its quite some time since its release, but so far I've not seen one with much discount.

The only slightly discounted price I saw on the first run was for the last remaining 'custard dip' examples. It looked to me that the 'classic' Blue Pullman in its original livery in LMR service was a sell out; no discounts if it sells at asking price, naturally enough. (Have any retailers still got any new stock of either of these versions?)

If I read Bachmann's informational around the WR reversed livery version correctly, the tooling has been modified to incorporate the features that differentiate it from its time as the 'Midland Pullman' on the LMR, so that may be it for the original version carrying all-over blue livery.

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:59 pm

The custard dip was on sale at hattons for £189. :o

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:38 am

I take it 'was' is the operative term?

That's a 'sell your granny to raise the cash if you have to' price for anyone desperate for the Midland Pullman who had missed out, and hope to make a decent repaint of it into overall blue...

(My super desireable DMU is the 'Cravens' (later class 105) type in green speed whisker livery, as introduced on King's Cross suburban. Having picked up a couple of sets at first release, £69, I was idly waiting for more variations to avoid renumbering when the prices suddenly went into vertical take off mode. I ran around like a headless chicken and got two more sets at £70 and £72, and think myself lucky. We are not seeing such prices again.)

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:02 pm

Bigmet wrote:I take it 'was' is the operative term?

That's a 'sell your granny to raise the cash if you have to'

2014. That's not how many grannies were sold

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:47 pm

Wow, 2014. Feels like yesterday that this item was first released.

I have only seen one (Blue Midland Pullman) which was owned by an acquaintance, and he sold it on because it didn't really fit his modelling period. The introduction of some other items that were perfect for his interest did for his BMP, they needed the storage road space that the BMP purchase had motivated him to clear in the first place by selling off some other unsuitable items.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:05 pm

I'm sure it was 2012. I had one before I moved which I did in 2013.

Return to “Bachmann”