Blue Pullman retooled

Discuss Bachmann Model Railway products and related model railway topics here.
D605Eagle

Blue Pullman retooled

Postby D605Eagle » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:48 am

The Bachmann Blue Pullman Model has been retooled to the condition it ran after transfer to the western region. It will have multiple working jumpers on the noses and virtually every train ran as a 12 car formation. Soooooo this new tooling in reverse blue and grey livery? what will it cost you? Well if you want an authentic 12 car set then an eye watering £1614!!!!! Yes it's got sound, but no it won't be authentic because there ain't any NBL MAN diesel electric sets in existance to record. The MAN sets sound quite different not having Napier turbochargers.
Sutton Locomotive works make a bespoke class 24, hand built in the UK. One bogie has more parts than an entire bachmann class 24. The list price for this will be only £4 less than the bachmann class 24 after the next round of price hikes. Sorry but it's time to say goodbye China, you're just too bl**dy expensive.

alex3410

Re: Blue Pullman retooled

Postby alex3410 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:34 am

i couldn't believe the price when i spotted it, the livery is not for me (i much prefer the all blue one that i have long ago realised i cant afford :lol: )

the scary thing is they have obviously done their market research and think they will get enough sales to make it viable

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:45 am

It is going to be very few that have a layout that can handle 12 cars long! :o So who cares about the sound, as no one is going to run it! At that price it's only fit for a cabinet, but who has a wall with clear blank space, for a 12ft long display case? :lol: I am not keen on the standard colour scheme, but reversed its even worse, vey drab in mostly grey. I think I will pass, if I do find a loose wadge of £800 in my pocket, I will have 4 superb sulzer's instead!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:31 pm

Is it only me that thinks it's ugly?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:04 pm

It's non too pretty with jumpers! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though. I think the original design is very graceful and good looking, but then that's just me.

sishades

Postby sishades » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:21 pm

Likewise the Bachmann crane. Hattons estimate was around the £75 mark so I preordered one. Had an email today confirming the rrp is £240....yikes. One cancelled order coming up.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:15 pm

Prices appear to have rocketed right across the board, Hornbys 2018 offerings are astronomical! As for the discussion on the Pullman, I could never afford the previous release as much as I wanted it, I sure as heck can't come close to this one and not fussed on the colour scheme anyhoo!

Paul

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 pm

End2end wrote:Is it only me that thinks it's ugly?

'Cos of the Lord Snooty monocle? It's only trying to fit in on the Great Western where they are all a little la di dah...

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:26 am

My mint totally inaccurate reverse livery 6-car Tri-ang model will more than suffice for my needs. I may not have DCC and lighting but if I wanted then it could be. When running there is no mistaking the protoype for about one twentieth the price.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:30 am

GWR_fan wrote:My mint totally inaccurate reverse livery 6-car Tri-ang model will more than suffice for my needs. I may not have DCC and lighting but if I wanted then it could be. When running there is no mistaking the protoype for about one twentieth the price.

I collected a Tri-ang set that needs some work (its on my very long to do list) but i am in the same boat as you, it will more than do for my needs and i can convert it to DCC / lighting when i get the project started.

There is also less worry about breaking something that won't cost the earth to replace, which will mean it will probably get more running time :lol:

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:51 pm

GWR_fan wrote:My mint totally inaccurate reverse livery 6-car Tri-ang model will more than suffice for my needs. I may not have DCC and lighting but if I wanted then it could be. When running there is no mistaking the protoype for about one twentieth the price.

I think the Tri-ang model captured the shape perfectly. Its just a shame that Tri-ang downgraded the model when they "updated" it to reverse livery and did away with the beautiful flush glazing that the Mk1 version had in its coaches. I have one with an early Bachmann 158 chassis powering one of the powercars. It runs as well as a bachmann one even if it doesn't have the level of detail.

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:57 pm

I wanted and wanted a grey blue Pullman for years. When the original bachmann blue Pullman came out I thought the price was high, but I'd stretch to it when the time came for its grey cousin. I had a feeling that things weren't going to go my way when the price for the second issue of the blue Pullman came out. But I was surprised at the hike bachmann have chosen to apply to this. Whilst I can afford it, I find it impossible to morally justify, so after waiting years and years, I'll pass.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:19 pm

Most retailers will immediately knock 15% of the price.
A five coach train with a a sound fitted Bo-Bo can be easily be close to the price Bachmann are quoting. A SLW Class 24 is £260 with DCC sound and many coaches are £55-£60.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:32 am

Even with that top end loco you quoted you're still £300 shy with £50 coaches.

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:12 am

I would have thought the original Pullman release the more popular and hence higher price due demand, although the reverse livery is the WR version. Is there that much demand for a WR version that it could command such a price hike? No doubt, like the 45 ton crane, there will be customers, however, I cannot see them flying off the shelves and the big stores better have ample shelf space as they will be sitting for a long time. Even the "unpopular" custard dip has not decreased in price significantly since release.

Return to “Bachmann”