Kerr Stuart 4415 - A Diesel's Tale

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
Curious Orange

Kerr Stuart 4415 - A Diesel's Tale

Postby Curious Orange » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:07 am

I thought I'd take the time to share with you my experiences of producing a model of the prototype Kerr Stuart 6wd that I am building for my Welsh Highland Railway themed 00-9 layout.

I guess it all started about four years ago when I decided that I wanted to get back into modelling narrow gauge, and wanted to take the time to produce good quality and reasonably accurate models. Nothing I make these days is knocked up in an afternoon - it all takes weeks or months!!

Anyway, a couple of years ago I came across a Minitrix 0-6-0 chassis in my local branch of Antics, and that was the catalyst for the model. I duly ordered the Meridian kit, and waited... and waited. Eventually I gave up waiting, cancelled the order, and instead purchased some line drawings from the 7mmNGA instead. Then I did a lot of pondering, some drawings of my own, and not a lot else.

Then in November I started working on a new model of the Ffestiniog Railway's 'Prince'. Just as I was getting bored filing down the cylinders on my Ibertren Cuckoo chassis I received a note from my usual supplier of kits that they now had the Meridian Kerr Stuart in stock and did I still want it? Yes, was the obvious answer.

Early January the kit arrived, and Prince was put to one side.

On first inspection the kit looks pretty accurate, and certainly the footplate is the right size. However it soon became apparent that the proportions are slightly out, in fact the bonnet was actually 3mm too short. After some umming and ahhing I decided that I would scratchbuild the bonnet from styrene sheet and move the cab back to its correct position.

Looking at the model I can only assume that the cab had been moved forward to clear the mechanism. But I found that there was actually just about enough room to clear everything if the hole in the cab front was opened out.

The first job then was soldering up the footplate and the cab front. Then filing everything nice and smooth so you can't see the joins. And also filing out the steps to the cab. I also pre-drilled some holes into the footplate for locating the cab handrails at this point, and also did the same for the cab backsheet - finding that it was a couple of millimetres too tall (the backsheet is only across the lower portion of the cab, with the top half open apart from where it supports the roof) which looked obviously wrong when compared with photos of the original. More filing there then!

Moving the cab meant removing a couple of locating lugs on the footplate, a rather tedious task that involved a lot of filing. The downside of moving the cab back was that it was actually quite tricky to position squarely. Although the advantage of using solder to construct whitemetal kits is that it is possible to correct mistakes reasonably easy - such as when I dropped it and broke a bit off!!!

Having attached the front half of the cab to the footplate I then came across my next two problems. The cab steps were too wide, a problem easily solved with some Miliput, and the chassis was positioned slightly incorrectly meaning that the rear wheels were slightly too far back under the cab. This was a bit trickier to fix as it meant filling the pre-formed locating hole in the footplate and drilling a new one about 1.5 millimetres further away.

Then I fixed a nut to the footplate and surrounded it with Miliput to stop it breaking off.

Now this pretty much brings me up to date. The next real job was fabricating the new bonnet. I've used styrene sheet, and created a box which I've filled with liquid lead (the incomplete model weighs 88g!), and I'm just now cleaning up the joins before I start adding the details.

It will be interesting finishing the model, as I am purchasing some Blackham transfers, but these need to go on to the bonnet sides BEFORE the sandboxes, as the pipework for these runs across the top of the writing. This means I'll have to paint the incomplete model, then add the transfers, then complete the model, then carefully complete the painting.

Should be fun!

Image[/img]

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:19 pm

I figured you'd maybe like to see the work in progress, so here are a couple of photo's for you to take a look at. The sandboxes are just there to give you a feel for the finished model, they aren't physically attached yet.

TomWebber

Postby TomWebber » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:33 pm

Looks like you made that kit well. You've certainly captured the profile of the bonnet.
Kitbashing/scratchbuildings great - am currently considering altering the Chivers bagnall kit to fit the backwoods miniatures 040 chassis, as it should be a better runner than the ibertren one its designed for.

Good luck with the rest of the kit - be sure to keep us upsated on the build!

bunji

Postby bunji » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:46 pm

Excellent work! I too am assembling a Prince kit using a Fleischmann chassis. That's a really cracking job you've done with your Kerr Stuart kit. :) I look forward to seeing it finished! :D

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:56 pm

I've just done a tiny amount of filling for a couple of small gaps I noticed around the cab and bonnet. Probably won't do much on the loco for a few days as the Milliput takes ages to set properly.

It is interesting to hear about Bunji working on the Langley Prince kit. I don't think the moulds are very precise for that kit (this will be the second time I've attempted the model), and there will need to be a lot of filling where the two halves of the body meet. Nevertheless I still reckon it can make a decent model with patience... when I get around to it.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:44 pm

Just finished adding the rear of the cab. I needed to shorten the brake slightly, and I added the handrails and the crossbeams over the doors (as I won't be using the roof supplied with the kit which had these moulded into it).

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:32 am

Have you seen this?

http://on30center.com/on30/library/articles/mw/mw.html

It's very near the bottom...

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:24 am

dr5euss wrote:Have you seen this?

http://on30center.com/on30/library/articles/mw/mw.html

It's very near the bottom...

Hmm... That bloke has built some nice looking models. I guess the Kerr Stuart is in its Mauritius condition, certainly the larger sandboxes were on the engine when it was brought back to Boston Lodge, but a lot of the bodywork was removed for shipping so comparison is a little tricky.

Follow the link for a shot of the engine at Boston Lodge:

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/ml/whr/2000/ks4415-081000.jpg

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:55 pm

I've done a bit more work on the bonnet. The marks you can (just about) see on it in the photo are just biro, which I used to ensure everything was square and correctly positioned. The door you can see on the side is cut from a self-adhesive label. I photographed it with Gowrie to give you an idea of its size.

bunji

Postby bunji » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:07 pm

I've just found a picture of a finished product on ebay:

Bit of a garish colour, I have to say!

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:27 pm

bunji wrote:I've just found a picture of a finished product on ebay:

Bit of a garish colour, I have to say!

Mine will be light grey, as per the prototype. The side view is interesting, on mine the cab is further back and the chassis slightly further forward, with the net result that you can't see the motor through the door like that.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:07 pm

Whilst running the locomotive in the other day I noticed that one of the crossbeams over one one of the doors was a fraction too short causing the cab to be a little out of true, so I've taken it out and will replace it with a longer one.

I also found that if you run the loco full power it overheats and starts smoking. I suspect there may be some light contact between the body as something with some current in it, so I'll try and make the internal clearances a bit greater.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:23 am

I've finally corrected the cab so its all square now.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:35 am

Have you got the smoking effect still?

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:27 am

Fantastic work!

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”