Kerr Stuart 4415 - A Diesel's Tale

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:12 pm

Good work - looking forward to some pics of the finished model :)

John

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:13 am

A week off work has finally allowed me some time to do some serious work on the various models I have on the go at the minute.

My Kerr Stuart has not been touched in quite some time, due to reasons I won't bore you with, but I finally summoned up the heart to get back to work on it.

I think I have now solved the overheating problem, there was some contact between the wheels and the dummy chain-wheel assemblies that sit outside them. Half an hour with a needle file and now there is no contact at all.

I decided that the moulded downpipes on the sandboxes were too large, so I cut them off about 1mm below the sandbox. The resulting stub was then drilled out using a 0.5mm drill bit to act as a collar that will accept a bit of brass rod that forms the new downpipe, I also had to fill and re-drill the holes to the new diameter where the downpipes go through the footplate. The downpipes will not be permanently fitted to the loco until after the model has been painted and lettered.

0.5mm holes were also drilled at the appropriate positions on top of the sandboxes to allow me to fabricate the operating linkage for the sanding equipment in brass rod too; I haven't quite decided precisely how I'm going to create that, but it will certainly involve at least one more soldered joint.

The cab is now just awaiting its roof, and then everything should be ready for painting.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:11 am

I added the linkage for the sanding system, and the roof, last night. The loco is now almost complete, there is a little bit of filling to do, and I may or may not add a couple more minor details.

Here a couple of photos:

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:17 am

:D Very neat job.

This is a nice looking little loco.

Will look excellent when painted.

BTW which chassis have you used for it?

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:36 pm

Clifton009 wrote::D Very neat job.

This is a nice looking little loco.

Will look excellent when painted.

BTW which chassis have you used for it?

Thanks very much. The chassis is a Minitrix 0-6-0 dock tank, which is the one the kit is based around.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:26 pm

I can't resist putting these two shots side by side for comparison:

Image Image

The differences are subtle, but make quite an impact I feel.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:00 am

Yep, one's painted, the other isn't! :wink:

Joking, just joking! :D :D

Krislights

Postby Krislights » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:15 pm

Nice to see so much care being taken over a whitemetal kit, that I have seen just slung together in one evening, with a tube of cheap glue, and 10 year old left over paint. 8)
If the wheels don't fit...
it's probably narrow-gauge.
"Awkward thinking".

Krislights

Postby Krislights » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:31 pm

Too much editing.. clipped out the 'rather than' bit. oops!
I recognise the website, or rather, the layout background, of the blue loco, and have seen these on ebay, too. I think they enjoy the painting more than the kit-building, but passable..
Shiny Yellow and black stripey works trains spring to mind.....
All a bit plasticky.
Good luck with the paint job, probably 30% of the work, in my experience.
If the wheels don't fit...
it's probably narrow-gauge.
"Awkward thinking".

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:43 pm

I decided to add those "few minor details" I mentioned earlier, so the front bonnet cover now has the two latches that hold it in place, and I've added hinges and handles to the doors on the bonnet sides. All fairly easily made from bits of brass rod and tiny bits of sticky label. I would get the model primed now, but its raining outside and I'm not using the aerosol in the flat!

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:52 pm

Some weird duplication going on here, see post below!
Last edited by Curious Orange on Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:54 pm

And here is the latest pic, I forgot to mention I'd also added some makers plates too, I hole-punched some plasticard which I then cut and filed to an oval shape.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:51 pm

Whisper it quietly, I've pretty much finished the Kerr Stuart. It's been painted, I'm half way through attaching the couplings, then there is just the lettering, putting the pipework for the sanding equipment back, and then a coat of varnish.

:D

Curious Orange

Re: Kerr Stuart 4415 - A Diesel's Tale

Postby Curious Orange » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:12 pm

Finally, a lick of paint:

HenryBlue

Re: Kerr Stuart 4415 - A Diesel's Tale

Postby HenryBlue » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:33 pm

I havent posted on here in a while, mate that looks lush, did you build the plasticard bonnet as a cover over the whitemetal one or did you just fill it with lead? lush transfers aswel! Have you posted this project on NGRM?

Adam
[center]Image[/center]

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”