help on peco hunslet?

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
glen brooks

help on peco hunslet?

Post by glen brooks »

Hi Lads nearly done my peco hunslet, just one thing left, what is the best way to fix either the dapol nem hook and loop or kadee no5 or long kadee no 149? thanks glen
Mountain

Re: help on peco hunslet?

Post by Mountain »

I'm assuming it is aa 7 mm scale narrow gauge model?
Coupling choice is up to you. Consider your own requirements. Do you have a decent budget and expect to have a good budget in the future? By all means, go for Kadees. They look the part and have the novel uncoupling feature via magnets under the track.
Do you want the easiest method where you can quickly convert 00 gauge items for 7mm narrow gauge use? Then use tension lock couplings. The narrow ones can be deepened and made to look like a chopper type coupling if desired.
Are you on an extreme budget? Do you want to scratchbuild at minimum of cost? Take a look at the couplings I've made. They are relatively easy to make. Drawing pins and paper clips for the wire loops etc. Very cheap to make and look the part. I've taken a photo with the loop raised so it is easier to see.
There are other coupling choices. It is up to you to decide! There is no set rule.
Attachments
IMG_20171019_150838.jpg
IMG_20171019_150854.jpg
glen brooks

Post by glen brooks »

Hi Mountain, i have both at hand kadess and the dapol tension, i am just not 100% sure what is the best way to fix them to the peco hunslet
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Not sure. I've never owned one of them. I understand the issue as you have a flat bufferbeam where the angle of the coupling is 90° to the bufferbeam. Normally manufactures cut a slot in the bufferbeam to fit couplings like that or they raise the central part of the bufferbeam. Both are a bit of compromise.
The only thing I can think of is to make something that will join the two, but it may not look good. I dont know the ins as outs of kadees. Is there a Kadee that can fit a flat bufferbeam? If there is then it will be the answer.
I have a different issue with my couplings. I sometimes have to build bufferbeams or extend chassis downwards to mount the buffers.

Idea. By looking at other peoples models via Google or EBay etc, it may show how they have addressed the issue.
Builder

Post by Builder »

If i might add a couple of comments here, the Kadee couplers are a H0 scale intended item,that look almost as authentic as the real thing, easily adapted to 00 , or 0-16-5,as they are more realistic than tension couplers. you need to use, after some research, the `whisker` coupling, in various lengths to suit different uses, the `148` kadee is popular! it needs to be a specific, and accurate height, but seems to be easy to shim it down with plasticard, or a file etc, to lift to correct height. use a cheap gauge from kadee. The big drawback is cost, about £1.25 each. depends on what you want, and how much you want to spend.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I agree that kadees blend in well for 7mm narrow gauge use, though I disagree with your comment on tension lock couplings, as if one has small tension lock couplings and glues on a thin piece of square plasticard to the front, they can be made to look very much like chopper style couplings used on some Welsh narrow gauge railways where kadees tend to lack prototypes in narrow gauge form on the railways I have seen (Almost 100% in Wales).

Back to the origional issue here, to which I hope the origional poster has found a solution to his issue... The main issue here is the model has deep bufferbeams which I believe are made from white metal. The mating surface he needs to mount either kadees or tension lock couplings is at 90 degrees the wrong angle to the angle required. My couplings need this 90 degree angle, so for me the issue is often to increase the depth of bufferbeams and not to decrease the depth which may be needed here.
A thought has occurred to me. The kit does have a form of wide central buffer. Is this at a useable height so it can be adapted for a tension lock hook to use with it? (I mean, so another vehicle with tension locks could hook to this buffer if it is suitably adapted).
Is just a thought which could save one a lot of work.
Another thought is to use a wire loop which can be drilled and glued into the bufferbeam which can accept the hooks of tension lock couplings used on other vehicles being coupled to it.
It maybe more difficult to mount a kadee coupling, but nothing is impossible without some thought and a little effort..
Let us know how you get on...
Krislights

Post by Krislights »

Greenwich couplings. Can be found through Parkside Dundas, but get them through Greenwich model society direct. N gauge use fist couplers, Kadees, and stock can be lifted vertically if things go array, no-one has yet perfected, to my knowledge, the 009 version of the chopper coupling. Perfected, incidentally, by E.R. Calthrop. Chief engineer of the leek and Manifold valley light railway, of which One of the Two Kitsons was named after him. Time for a new Layout? Llandaft is is storage. 5" gauge atm, Hybrid Polly almost finished. Russell in early stages of build, and 5" version of said Kitson on drawing board...
Krislights

Post by Krislights »

Can't go far wrong with Greenwich couplings. The Kadee type is too American for UK NG. I'd agree, a thin bit of plasticard too make it look like a central buffer. Height gauge? Comes supplied, but anything HOE from Roco, or Bemo.. Standard. Good luck, hope you have as much fun I did/ am still having! Kindest. K. Llandaft.
If the wheels don't fit...
it's probably narrow-gauge.
"Awkward thinking".
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

You may need to drill a series of small holes and file them out to form a slot, but I dont expect that it is going to be an easy thing to do.