PNP's O-16.5 Workbench

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
glencairn

Re: PNP's O-16.5 Workbench

Postby glencairn » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:00 pm

A lovely thread to follow. Thanks for showing.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:10 pm

Whilst measuring up carefully for the struts for the roof, it became obvious, due to the curvature of the roof, that my chimney is too short :(. Interestingly I have another (Smallbrook) chimney (which is destined for a future vertical boiler loco) which is actually a bit too long. The obvious light-bulb moment here finally dawned on me (!) and a piece of the latter was removed and spliced into the former to increase the height by a few mm. To accomplish this, the chimney did of course have to be removed from the loco - here it is, suitably lengthened, resting in rough position before repainting:

This gave me two advantages:
  • the chimney top will protrude sufficiently through the roof thus keeping smoke etc out of the drivers' eyes
  • I will be able to pass the bottom of the chimney through the hole in the roof, thus keeping said hole smaller, which looks much better
Anyway, before building and fitting of the actual roof, a few more little jobs were completed:
1. nameplates and numbers (from Narrow Planet)
2. some coal, a chain, handrails and roof struts
3. some more detail items for 'interest' - oil can, spanner, coal shovel (latter not visible in these shots)

Next comes weathering/dirtying and fitting of the roof :o

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:18 pm

That is looking excellent!

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:52 pm

Thanks Mountain :D.

As I said, next was the roof. For this I cheated slightly and purchased a pre-curved plastic roof piece from 422 Modelmaking. For only £2 I thought it would save a lot of hassle - and they gave me a choice of radius curvature - 50mm or 70mm - I chose the latter. The piece was 200mm long, so enough for more than one model (though in my case a c*cked up the first one by making the hole for the chimney too big - as above I found I could get away with a better-looking smaller hole once the chimney was temporarily detached from the loco).

Anyway, some strips of plasticard were cut and attached to the trimmed roof ready to slot onto the struts on the locomotive - I made the space between them a bit longer and wider than required, to allow for adjustment of the final position when fitting later. Before painting it looked like this:

I was then able to work through my remaining jobs and complete the loco 8). Below are some (far too many) photos of 'Ted' after fitting onto the chassis and checking he runs! I know some don't like the tension lock couplings, but I actually don't mind them. They are fitted into NEM pockets, so can be changed at a later date if/when I decide what to change them to! For my first scratch-built loco (body) I am pretty pleased!

Anyway, to the photos - thanks for looking :D

Michaelaface

Postby Michaelaface » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:46 pm

outstanding work here! not sure how I've not seen this thread before

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:32 pm

Michaelaface wrote:outstanding work here! not sure how I've not seen this thread before

How can you not have seen PNP's lovely models? Cover your eyes PNP! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:24 am

'Ted' looks excellent! I particularly like the cab detailing and pile of coal on the footplate. The subtle weathering breaks up the flat sides nicely too.
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:10 am

Many thanks for comments - this was my first attempt at a scratch-built loco (body) so I'm very pleased how it turned out. All my locos are named after recent family ancestors and I think this one is a fitting tribute to 'Ted' :D

You can see him on my small layout here.

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:00 am

The way you've rusted the couplings looks good too- rather than try to hide them, now they just look part of the model. I guess when it's your railway you can just decide that's what the 'real thing' uses. A representation of the brake pipe could be added to break up the flat ends if regulations require continuous brakes :)
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:08 pm

My rate of modelling will now reduce drastically, as my extended 'holiday' (officially known as furlough!) will be cut short by two weeks tomorrow, when I have been asked to recommence working :o (from home). I can't really complain (and I'm not expecting any sympathy from anyone!) but I am slowly trying to get my head around early starts, all-day working, much less modelling etc etc :?

Anyway, I have made a start on some pine trees, loosely following this video I found:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGlTTOuTGBc

My version of a couple of trees looks like this so far:

I have used some balsa wood dowels, and florists wire that I had purchased for my (deciduous) trees made a couple of months ago. I am not sure if the 'trunk' is a bit too fat for the height of tree, but I didn't want the trees to be so tall as to be out of keeping with my earlier ones. Anyway, these are just experimental ones to start with - I can always make future ones taller and/or slimmer (in the trunk department) if necessary - once these have foliage and I get to see how they actually turn out :D

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”