PNP's O-16.5 Workbench

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
Mountain

Re: PNP's O-16.5 Workbench

Postby Mountain » Tue May 05, 2020 2:27 pm

Ooh. I have not seen those. They look a bit like Peco coach kits. Do they have similar dimensions?

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue May 05, 2020 3:10 pm

Mountain wrote:Ooh. I have not seen those. They look a bit like Peco coach kits. Do they have similar dimensions?

A bit longer and quite a lot narrower. But, at £9.95, quite a lot cheaper :D

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue May 05, 2020 4:17 pm

They are probably the same width as these... I was thinking that I can convert these to two smaller 4 wheel coaches.

I'm impressed by those open coaches you made from the Smallbrook Studio kits.
Attachments
20191107_185608.jpg
Last edited by Mountain on Tue May 05, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jules

Postby Jules » Tue May 05, 2020 4:21 pm

Loving your layout and pics, PNP! Those trees! Brilliant! Photos-wise, I used to use Flickr, but now save all photos to the cloud(via Apple's iCloud service).

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue May 05, 2020 5:01 pm

Jules wrote:Photos-wise, I used to use Flickr, but now save all photos to the cloud(via Apple's iCloud service).

Yeah, Google Photos is working out well for me . . . :D

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Thu May 07, 2020 2:07 pm

The 422 Modelmaking coach kits are now complete 8)

Seats and passengers installed - here is the third class coach:

Roofs were trimmed to size & fitted, and some small gas lamp tops added (from ABS Models):

Finally transfers were added and some weathering/dirtying:

And this is them posed on the layout:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu May 07, 2020 2:46 pm

Oh they look beautiful! I would love to see a picture of one next to a Peco coach so I have an idea of the different widths and lengths. But they look so nice!

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Fri May 08, 2020 9:30 am

Mountain wrote:Oh they look beautiful! I would love to see a picture of one next to a Peco coach so I have an idea of the different widths and lengths. But they look so nice!

Many thanks Mountain - and here is a comparison for you :D:

As you can see the 422 ones are longer and narrower than the Peco. Unfortunately that middle photo shows up very cruelly how poor some of the paintwork is on the blue coach :oops: - it doesn't look that bad in 'the flesh'! I really ought to rub that down and redo it, but I suspect I won't . . .

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri May 08, 2020 11:59 am

Your paintwork is fine. They look like they will really fit in well together. Is blue going to be your new livery colour? If funds allow, I may also end up with a few. No idea where to get them yet as it is only now that you have mentioned them that I have heard of them.
I find that with real narrow gauge railways they rarely had rakes of the same, so a hotch potch mix of styles and sizes really sets the scene. Many thanks for the size comparisson photographs.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Fri May 08, 2020 12:17 pm

Mountain wrote:Your paintwork is fine. They look like they will really fit in well together. Is blue going to be your new livery colour? If funds allow, I may also end up with a few. No idea where to get them yet as it is only now that you have mentioned them that I have heard of them.
I find that with real narrow gauge railways they rarely had rakes of the same, so a hotch potch mix of styles and sizes really sets the scene. Many thanks for the size comparisson photographs.

Thanks Mountain.
This is where to get them: 422 Modelmaking. They now do complete kits as well, but it's more economical to buy the sets of sides/ends and roof like I did :D.
My railway doesn't have a livery - just whatever colours I fancy (or have available) :lol:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri May 08, 2020 5:26 pm

Excellent! I am soo spoilt for choice. Smallbrook also have a coach kit that I have not tried yet. My layout will take slightly longer 4 wheel coaches to the Peco coach design as long as I don't ave coaches with too long a body. Bogie coaches are a consideration but 4 wheelers are more in keeping with my layout.

Jules

Postby Jules » Fri May 08, 2020 7:36 pm

Those new model making coaches look soo good!! Very impressive, PNP!

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun May 10, 2020 4:08 pm

Thanks folks :D

Next on my workbench were some wagons from T and S Models. These are 3D printed, quite economical, and come as a set of parts like this:

As they are open wagons, each side comes as two parts so that detailing is on the inside and out. As they are 3D printed, a fair amount of sanding down was required - this is easy enough on a plane expanse of planking, but more tricky when there is only small areas inbetween detailing. Anyway, the parts go together very quickly:

After several coats of paint and sanding:

After a bit of weathering:

I decided the drop side curved end wagons needed smaller wheels (10mm) than I have in my drawer, to match existing Slimrails ones. But the 4 plank one seemed fine with 12mm wheels and couplings added. Here it is sitting alongside a Smallbrook one:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun May 10, 2020 9:31 pm

Ooh. Very nice. But do they need to have some weight added to them? I missed out on Slimrails as I dis not have the money at the time. I was impressed with them.
Are T and S models only available via Ebay?

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon May 11, 2020 8:55 am

Mountain wrote:Ooh. Very nice. But do they need to have some weight added to them?

Thanks. I add lead weight under the chassis of all my rolling stock - I use plant weight lead strip.

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”