Shall I swap scale/gauge to 0-16.5?

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
PinkNosedPenguin

Re: Shall I swap scale/gauge to 0-16.5?

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:09 pm

Mountain wrote:Very nice. You could do with more wagons to go with them.

Agreed! But then I could also do with a layout to run the locos and rolling stock on :lol:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:18 pm

Ah yes. I need to do more of that as well! :D

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Back to my little slate wagon, I received the small bag of 50 top hat bearings I had ordered from eBay, so tried drilling out the holes in the wagon chassis to accept them. They went in ok on the first axle - here's one in place and a second bearing waiting to go in:
ImageIMG_8285 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

But then I couldn't get the wheel set to fit in without serious risk of breaking the chassis :twisted:.
So I removed the bearing from one side and then the wheels went in quite nicely with hardly any sideways play 8)
But unfortunately the second side I had drilled out is now a rather sloppy fit.

For the other wheel set, I only drilled out one side for the bearing and the wheels are not sloppy, but a little tight, and not as free-running as I would like! Oh well, I adjusted the wheel back-to-backs to allow for the axles being closer to one side of the wagon than the other:
ImageIMG_8288 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

So now the wagon is a little better than before, but not perfect. But I've learnt what needs doing for these wagons so I'll do a much better job on the next few I buy 8)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:48 pm

Could you file down the edge of the bearings on one side and push them in from the outside? Just an idea. Another idea is to split the chassis in half to fit the bearings, and then glue it back together again.
I've found these bearings can give very good running once set up right. I found they also give an interesting realistic squeel if left for a good while without being used! A tiny dot of oil and they run quiet again. Is interesting. :lol:

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:38 pm

Ronald is now complete with plates and some weathering:
ImageIMG_8294 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8297 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8299 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8298 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:53 pm

Cracking job PNP! :) Just needs a layout now!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:44 pm

Very moody and industrius! Nice. :D

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:34 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:But then I could also do with a layout to run the locos and rolling stock on :lol:

This comment got me thinking - and so I can now present my brand new instant layout 8)! It cost me £8 on eBay and took about 5 minutes to construct! Yes, I have regressed to my childhood, and for the first time in more years than I care to calculate (!), I have been playing trains with set-track on the carpet :lol:
ImageIMG_8304 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Seriously though, this provides me with a track for running in locos, that
  • can be brought out, and put away, in minutes
  • can be connected to my DCC PowerCab or my old DC controller
  • provides me with an instant way to 'play trains' whilst I have no O-16.5 layout
I have to say I am quite pleased 8)

To celebrate, here is a video of my two locos. It includes my party-piece of course = stay-alive powering the locos over a section of paper. Ronald's light goes out temporarily, but at least he doesn't stop! It allowed me to run in my locos a bit - Mabel is now noticeably quieter, although Ronald is still a bit noisy . . .
Last edited by PinkNosedPenguin on Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HarryR

Postby HarryR » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:06 pm

Quite satisfying too, I imagine

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:31 pm

Fun! That electrically conductive toilet paper is interesting in the film... :D (The blessings that DCC can bestow upon us!)
It is nice to see ones trains running, even with stripy scenery. In a way I can't wait to get my electrics sorted and get things running... In no hurry though. I've just got my ex. Faller coach to run on wheels so that's some progress. I need to build up the ends underneath ready to accept buffers and paint the underneath. Was thinking if I can mix glue with black paint to make it dry quicker? :lol: for some reason my black enamel paint takes a whole week to dry. :? Is rather like waiting g for the next train on my layout with the current timetable! Must get the electrics done. :lol:

Do you plan to use those curves on a layout?

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:28 pm

Thanks for comments.

My next locomotive project is now starting and is my most challenging yet :shock:!

I fell in love with the 20HP War Department Simplex kit on Nigel Lawton's website and just had to get one! It is a Light Railway petrol tractor and I thought it would look fantastic pulling a few diminutive slate wagons :D. The kit is quite expensive, but comes with TWO motors (the second one for a cooling radiator fan!). It also hopefully has enough space for a DCC decoder under the hood. I think it is his only 7mm scale kit.

It is more challenging because the chassis is kit-built as well as the body, and it is mostly metal = requiring some soldering :?.

Anyway, the kit arrived in a nice sturdy plastic box which I am sure will provide safe storage for the kit whilst under construction:
ImageIMG_8309 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

First job was to have a look at all the parts and try to identify them all :oops: and make sure everything was there. It was. I also read through the instructions before doing anything else (very un-man-like I know!) to give myself a fighting chance of eventual success!
ImageIMG_8310 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

The instructions are extremely good with lots of photographs along the way. Even so I am going to take this build slowly, to fully enjoy it, and make the best job of it I can. A couple of sessions with the soldering iron and a file has produced the basic chassis (no motor etc yet) - and I am quite pleased with how well it has gone so far! It sits nicely on the track and runs freely. I think this is the best I could hope for at this stage, and will encourage me to continue . . .
ImageIMG_8330 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8333 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

P.S. the rusty colour in the last photo must be a reflection from something - its lovely and shiny new looking at the moment!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:53 pm

Now that's what I call a lot of parts!
Was amazed how such a small thing can have that many parts.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:58 pm

Mountain wrote:Now that's what I call a lot of parts!
Was amazed how such a small thing can have that many parts.
Tell me about it!!!

Well today I added some more of those parts to the model 8). So quite a bit of messing about with worms, gears, shaft adapters (sleeves to convert a shaft of one diameter to another), threadlock (the first time I'd come across this substance) and a motor. The motor is mounted vertically, drives a horizontal shaft via a worm and gear, which in turn meshes with the two wheel-sets via more worms and gears. This neat arrangement gives 4-wheel drive for the little model. The worms were very tight fits on their shafts; I needed to carefully squeeze them into position in my little desk-top vice to get them on - but they ain't coming off (!) and no threadlock needed! Threadlock was needed for the central gear and it seems to hold it in place alright.

Then it was time for his electrics (yes, he's going to be a boy, called "Stanley" which I hope will suit him well!). I had to fit pickups to all four wheels using phosphor bronze strip; I tried to arrange the strip to rub against the backs of the wheels in a shallow convex curve - i.e. to get maximum contact. But it was very fiddly soldering the strips in place. Still, I got there in the end :D. My large loops are not very elegant but will hopefully do the job:
ImageIMG_8346 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I decided to connect up the motor as standard DC first, so soldered the red motor wire to one pickup (which is insulated from the chassis) and the black wire to the chassis itself (which is electrically connected to the other rail) via a supplied dropper resister; not sure why its needed - maybe to reduce voltage to the motor?
ImageIMG_8341 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on FlickrImageIMG_8344 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Anyway, then came the moment to apply DC power and see what happened :shock:. Stanley's first movements were a bit jerky and noisy, but he did move! I applied tiny amounts of lubrication and then ran him in on my lovely circular track. After half an hour at 2/3 speed in each direction he was a lot smoother and quieter. Not perfect slow running, and he seems to prefer one direction to the other, but he is very light. I'm thinking that added weight and a DCC decoder will both improve matters.

Talking about direction, I'm not actually sure which is 'forward' and which is 'reverse' for these little locomotives? The driver position is sideways-on and he has an uninterrupted view in both directions. The (white-metal) little guy I have purchased has a separate head (and arms) meaning I can hopefully 'pose' him with a hand on the controls and head pointing in the little model's preferred direction of travel 8).

Next up to finish the chassis are some cosmetic additions (suspension, axle boxes) and the second motor...

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:34 pm

I was looking at the YouTube link thing. It seemed to run OK. No doubt with use it will improve further. (My mum likes your carpet).
Thread lock. Use it as a bicycle mechanic. Easy enough to use. First time I've heard it used for model railways. I once had a Hornby (Or Triang) X03/X04 type motor replacement by ECM and it had a thinner shaft. They supplied a converter shaft that the thin motor shaft slotted into it, and it made the external diameter fit the Hornby (Or Triang) worm. They said to use araldite on it and it worked a treat.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:39 pm

Today I made a start on the body of the Simplex. It really is a nice kit, but quite complex and it is fascinating to see how it slowly builds up into resembling the real thing 8)! It is slow work, but fun (so who's counting the hours?). Although the instructions are very comprehensive, and there are lots of photos, some of the steps required several re-reads to understand exactly what to fit where and how and which way round :oops:. There were quite a few tiny 'sacrificial tabs' which were folded back to keep parts in place whilst ensuring precise positioning and application of glue - to be finally removed later and filed down. Quite fiddly in places - and to think I swapped from N gauge partly because everything was so small :lol:!!!

Anyway, after a lot of cutting, bending, gluing and filing, the basic shell of the body is now done - and it all started as a flat brass etch! Note that the horizontal section across the width is a 'sacrificial strengthener' to be removed later - so I can't test fit on the chassis until I get to that stage. I think its looking good so far and is surprisingly strong (although very light).

Here are photos before and after fitting the main cross-members:
ImageIMG_8349 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8351 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”