Shall I swap scale/gauge to 0-16.5?

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
kebang

Re: Shall I swap scale/gauge to 0-16.5?

Postby kebang » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:07 pm

I don't know if the sets are available in the UK, I bought mine in Bohol, Philippines where I live. Quoted the wrong price in the first post 499 pesos = 7.00 GBP :)
Last edited by kebang on Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:24 pm

I dont know if that is a cheap price over there, but in the UK it is. I have one of those Smallbrook diesel kits. I have the Toby the tram chassis for mine, though I may see if I can adapt it to take the lovely Lima class 09 chassis instead. Either way, it is a nice future project. I've been slow in building my kits as I've had so many scratchbuilding ideas to try out.
I did go a bit silly buying loco kits at one point as I have four or five (With their chassis) awaiting for me to build, and to be honest even a larger line rarely had more then three or four working locos except when it comes to preservation days. I have also two or three Wagon kits and two coach kits to build (All from Smallbrook Studio).
I was given two bogies that used to belong to a H0 diesel as they are cast metal B0-B0 bogies with electrical contacts. The idea I had to use these to good use, is to either make little tender wagons to go behind locos or I could make some sort of flat Wagon or similar to couple behind two little drive mechanisms I have to use. One is on a San Francisco cable car (Which the body makes the ideal conversion project into a 009 coach so a good project for someone) and a gandy dancer which would make an interesting mechanical type little home made locomotive of a type sometimes seen in light industrial use with small engines for propulsion.
So I have all sorts of interesting plans and ideas to come, though getting my track working on my layout is the priority for now.

It is fun to dream up ideas and plans!
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:43 am

It is going to be exciting to see everyones models and layouts in 0-16.5 gauge. Everyone has their own style and ideas. It is going to be ace!

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:24 am

When next in a toyshop, run a ruler over the coaches in the Thomas Tomy range.
(available more cheaply 2nd hand from ebay)

There is a possibility of taking pre-painted sides from these, depending on your intended loading gauge,
and remembering that a consistent roof-line or door size is NOT a feature found on all narrow gauge railways.
(Festiniog bug-boxes!)

My current 0-16.5 trains come from a different source, the LGB Gnomy range.
Intended as a "play with" table-top railway the two tram locos are battery-powered radio control, and the the "mixed" galloping booby has battery infra-red control.

DSC00952.JPG

DSC01023.JPG

I haven't yet decided between conventional O-scale or Pokemon figures for drivers and passengers.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:11 pm

Emettman wrote:When next in a toyshop, run a ruler over the coaches in the Thomas Tomy range.
(available more cheaply 2nd hand from ebay)

There is a possibility of taking pre-painted sides from these, depending on your intended loading gauge.

Chris

What width and height are the Gnomy coaches? Any ideas also about sizes of the Faller 4 wheel coaches they made in the budget trainsets?

kebang

Postby kebang » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:45 pm

Thanks for the advice so far folks! I've rechecked the local toy shops but Toby Thomas is not sold here (probably too expensive for local tastes). I'm visiting UK again for a month in May 2018 so I'll be doing a fair bit of shopping then!
Meanwhile lots to be getting on with. It will be about a month before my order from Smallbrook studios arrives and I'm still trying to devise the best plan for the smallest space. I'm also busy mauling those coaches I salvaged from the cheap toy railway I purchased. I've and also been patiently snipping away every other sleeper from the set track I will use. A surprisingly long job - once the sleeper has been removed cleaning away the small stubs left takes quite a while.....

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:34 pm

Thanks for your interest guys . . . I'm back from a week away where railway-related fun was provided in the form of velo-rail on one of these:
ImageIMG_8107 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Then off down the track under our own power:
ImageIMG_8092 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Lovely that these abandoned lines in France still have their track so that fun like this can be had :D

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, on with the build of my first 0-16.5 loco . . .

Whilst I was away, my Smallbrook Studios kit arrived 8)
ImageIMG_8109 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

So I started to hack at 'Bill' to remove the old cab, face (!), chimney etc.
ImageIMG_8108 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

The first part of the new 7mm scale cab was soon fitted in place:
ImageIMG_8110 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Then I had to start thinking where to hide the electronics? There was enough room for the decoder itself inside the tank, but the stay-alive (which is pretty large) needs to be concealed in the cab. The kit comes with a backhead with a dome - I removed the dome part and found that it just fits in position. So I now need to fashion something (removable) to cover the stay-alive unit. I'm planning on painting it black or dark grey in the cab, with a driver, so hopefully it'll be quite dark in there to hide a multitude of sins :lol:
ImageIMG_8113 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8114 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Thanks for reading . . .

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:15 pm

Looking great so far.. Those velorail things look a bit like they have pedals.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Mountain wrote:What width and height are the Gnomy coaches? Any ideas also about sizes of the Faller 4 wheel coaches they made in the budget trainsets?

The Gnomy coaches: the block of the body is 50mm by 40, with a roof 75 by 42.
windows 28mm tall. 4' 2" at 1:45.

The Gnomy trams and trailer cars are 40 x 90 in the body and have more O-scale door openings compared to the coaches' narrow verandas.

I don't have any Faller O, only Playtrain, and the coaches there are scaled for Playmobil-size figures.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Thanks Emettman. :) Was just an idea I had. I will check the Gnomy size with my virtual loading gauge. I say virtual. I'm keeping to the Peco coach with duckets for the width and for height, I'm going for the Smallbrook Studios guards van with the roof lookouts for the maximum height. Was curious about other widths and heights so if I come across any going cheap I can check to see if they are appropriate for my little railway line. I can measure the Peco coach width but not the Smallbrook brake van as I've not finished building it yet! :lol:
I'm going to do some measuring.... :D

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:27 pm

Mountain wrote:Looking great so far.. Those velorail things look a bit like they have pedals.

Yes, and the one we rode even had saddles too 8)

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:05 pm

A bit more achieved on the kit now:
ImageIMG_8117 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Including boxing in the stay-alive and painting the cab interior before affixing the back and roof makes it hard to reach:
ImageIMG_8116 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:07 pm

Did the handbrake come with the kit? Not had one of those on my kits so far but not had the specific kit you are building. It looks like it is coming along well.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:37 am

Mountain wrote:Did the handbrake come with the kit? Not had one of those on my kits so far but not had the specific kit you are building. It looks like it is coming along well.

No, I improvised that 8) - I think it'll look OK once the cab is closed in. Kit only came with regulator and reverse lever - a few pipes, hand wheels and dials would have enhanced the cab, but I'm making it pretty dark in there :D

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:01 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:
Mountain wrote:Did the handbrake come with the kit? Not had one of those on my kits so far but not had the specific kit you are building. It looks like it is coming along well.

No, I improvised that 8) - I think it'll look OK once the cab is closed in. Kit only came with regulator and reverse lever - a few pipes, hand wheels and dials would have enhanced the cab, but I'm making it pretty dark in there :D

I used an old watch battery to represent a pressure gauge for my scratchbuilt cab.

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”