Shall I swap scale/gauge to 0-16.5?

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
TimberSurf

Re: Shall I swap scale/gauge to 0-16.5?

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:57 pm

Nice job!
Not sure about the drivers trousers and cap colour scheme being the same as the engine? :(
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:25 pm

TimberSurf wrote:Nice job!
Not sure about the drivers trousers and cap colour scheme being the same as the engine? :(

You thought I was saving on paint :lol:? No, they are brown, the engine is drab olive; don't worry they look different 'in the flesh'!

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:21 pm

Nameplates arrived from Narrow Planet, so now my Simplex is "Stanley" and has DCC address #4 8)
ImageIMG_8433 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8432 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I also constructed two more Smallbrook slate wagons, so it now has a little train of 3 to pull :D

This now completes Stanley . . .

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:54 pm

It is an absolute beauty PNP, you should be very proud of it. The paint finish on it and the wagons is first class, it just oozes character. I really want to see it in its scenic surroundings now.

Paul

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:30 pm

carnehan wrote:It is an absolute beauty PNP, you should be very proud of it. The paint finish on it and the wagons is first class, it just oozes character. I really want to see it in its scenic surroundings now.

Paul

Many thanks Paul; that's what I'm liking most about narrow gauge - the fact that each individual vehicle can have its own character. Partly imposed upon me by their being nothing RTR in UK format in O-16.5, and partly by the fact that I don't feel constrained by any particular prototype. I think it'll be a little while before my few trains get to run in scenic surroundings, but for now I'm happily building a few locos and rolling stock with (I hope) character 8)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:52 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:
carnehan wrote:It is an absolute beauty PNP, you should be very proud of it. The paint finish on it and the wagons is first class, it just oozes character. I really want to see it in its scenic surroundings now.

Paul

Many thanks Paul; that's what I'm liking most about narrow gauge - the fact that each individual vehicle can have its own character. Partly imposed upon me by their being nothing RTR in UK format in O-16.5, and partly by the fact that I don't feel constrained by any particular prototype.

That's what I'm finding. It is liberating... While I understand that some will want ready to run models, for me the attraction is that there are no RTR models in British outline 7mm narrow gauge, so everyones models are rather unique.
See below ↓

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:50 pm

Work has started on loco #3 :D

I have acquired a Bachmann 0-4-0 Porter from the USA - it was only $60 (new) with decoder fitted (although shipping and customs/vat pushed the price up somewhat). It looks very good - though VERY American of course:
ImageIMG_8442 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

The only problem was that it ran pretty poorly :evil:. Adjusting and cleaning the pickups helped, but the main issue was with the factory-fitted decoder. The loco started EXTREMELY slowly on speed step 1 (of 28) = just a humming noise with no actual movement - then started to crawl up to speed step 5 - then quite a bit faster at 6 - and then suddenly really fast at 7. There was no info supplied about setting decoder CVs, and from my experimentation it did not adhere to normal NMRA standards. Basically I could adjust the starting voltage (so that it moved on step 1) but NOTHING ELSE speed-wise (so it stayed at the same speed from 1 to 5 then suddenly sped up at 6 to 7 and above. Poor. Once the loco was running, it ran very sweetly indeed and very quiet - so I knew there was nothing wrong mechanically.

So I decided to try another decoder. But then I found the decoder was connected using ALL BLACK wires. What? Why? Crazy!
ImageIMG_8367 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Luckily, the small PCB in the above photo had markings like M+ and M- (I took these to be motor positive and negative) and L and R (presumably Left and Right track). So, before snipping the wires I painted them the correct colours. Here I had a "laugh out loud" moment when I was just about to paint one of the wires black :lol: (I used dark grey instead!).

Anyway, with the wires correctly identified (I could not see any purpose to the PCB, so discarded it) I was able to connect a Lenz gold decoder I had. It even fitted nicely in the position of the original:
ImageIMG_8444 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

The difference in performance was spectacular 8) - the loco runs absolutely beautifully! I can adjust the speed curve exactly as I want and connect a stay alive. Very pleased. Its amazing what a difference £££ of electronics makes!!! Superb control and the 'electronic flywheel' that is the stay-alive.

Next is of course to Anglicise the loco, and to this end I have purchased a 3D printed replacement cab from CWRailways and some parts from Smallbrook Studios. With these and some plasticard, lets see what I can do! Watch this space...
Last edited by PinkNosedPenguin on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:06 pm

You could do it as part of the competition?
See below ↓

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:16 pm

Oooo, there's another competition? Well, as a previous winner ( :oops: ) maybe I should enter!!!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:26 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:Oooo, there's another competition? Well, as a previous winner ( :oops: ) maybe I should enter!!!

Yes. Will be fun. Also will be exciting to see what you come up with!
See below ↓

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Previous winners are banned! :evil: mods and admins are banned! :twisted: Matty's banned as a pro. :mrgreen:

I'll take my chances with Mountain, as I can't find a reason to ban him! :lol:

Timbs (also ran)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:53 pm

I can assure you I definitely have no more chance than anyone else - got lucky with the voting that time :D.
Anyway, of course its just a bit of fun...

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:05 pm

I have started butchering the Porter :D

First I removed the foreign-looking horizontal steps from front and rear buffers. Wow the metal was hard to cut! My poor little cordless Dremel really struggled - must get some better cutting discs for it. Anyway, rear buffer now looks like this:
ImageIMG_8446 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I also removed the heavy metal saddle tank from the loco (attached by 4 screws) and removed the bell. More hard metal to file down:
ImageIMG_8450 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I then looked at the parts I had purchased. First the 3D printed cabin from C.W.Railways. Having discussed with the proprietor Tim, it became clear that his cab was longer than mine and intended for the 0-4-2 Porter :?. We agreed the cab looked a bit over-sized for a British locomotive, so Tim was most helpful and offered to shrink the length to my dimensions. The wonders of 3D printing! Here are the parts as supplied - and yes the length fits my loco:
ImageIMG_8448 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I have also purchased a chimney and smokebox door with dart from Smallbrook Studios:
ImageIMG_8449 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I am now proceeding to construct the cab . . .

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:52 pm

PinkNosedPenguin wrote:I am now proceeding to construct the cab . . .

So, I began by constructing the main shell of the cab from the 3D printed kit from CWRailways:
ImageIMG_8451 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Went together very easily with a nice snug fit. First coat of sprayed primer, a bit of sanding and filling, and then a second coat:
ImageIMG_8456 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I also primed the saddle tank and just placed both parts on the chassis to see what she looks like:
ImageIMG_8453 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

This view from the front shows what my next step must be = to put something over the diminutive low slung smokebox - work for a future update . . .
ImageIMG_8457 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

As I said in my last post, the cab was reduced in length before printing by Tim at CWRailways - it fits my Porter pretty well, but it does mean, with the rear coal bunker, that the backhead protrudes a very long way into the cab and there is not a lot of room inside for the driver behind it :?. But I knew this conversion would require some compromises and I am hoping this will prove to be an acceptable one . . .

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:08 pm

It looks the part. There is a lot of metal on the donor loco. Useful weight.
See below ↓

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”