Making a start in 009.

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
PTmodeller

Making a start in 009.

Postby PTmodeller » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:20 pm

I model OO, and for a bit of variety, I thought i'd try and include a Narrow Gauge Railway in my layout. It would most likely run from a colliery to the main line. My questions are....
1) Are there any books available that include plans of Narrow Gauge?
2) What sort of interchange is there, how much space do i need?
3) Who produces 009 RTR stock?
4) Am i right that it uses ordinary N gauge track?

Thanks in advance,
PTmodeller

Danny

Postby Danny » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:38 pm

For 4 it will run on N gauge track but if you buy 009 track the sleepers are spaced wider apart and are wider, well as far as I have seen.

Danny.

bunji

Re: Making a start in 009.

Postby bunji » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:07 pm

PTmodeller wrote:1) Are there any books available that include plans of Narrow Gauge?
2) What sort of interchange is there, how much space do i need?
3) Who produces 009 RTR stock?
4) Am i right that it uses ordinary N gauge track?

Thanks in advance,
PTmodeller

Now that's a nice idea - getting some narrow gauge in for variety. :) Really does add an extra dimension to a layout.

1) For NG plans, I'd recommend grabbing yourself one of Carendt's books. Although not all plans in there are narrow gauge there's some great trackplans and ideas to get you started. If you dont want to buy a book, the microplan scrapbook is updated twice monthly/monthly with lots of different ideas and photos. There's a huge database of plan already there too.

2) I'm guessing you mean the transhipment area between narrow and standard gauge? That generally depends on the length of trains you run. If you have five tippers or something you could fit a series of chutes in a space of about 40cm which could load the coal into standard wagons. Alternatively you could use a set-up like on the demonstration plan shown in this article. That wouldn't take up very much space! In that, the narrow gauge line is on a raised trestle above the line, unloading the coal wagon by wagon.

3) RTR 009 stock is a bit of a misnomer. No-one actually makes RTR 009 stock, but RTR HOe stock is available. If you dont mind a diesel on your layout, then the diesel produced by Roco would fit the bill perfectly. Available very cheaply! More expensive stock is available from Bemo, but these locos look very Continentally and are very expensive. If you're looking for steam, you may have to resort to eBay. Egger-Bahn used to make HOe locos which turn up cheaply and often on eBay - it's just a case of winning the bid. As for RTR rolling stock, there are a few select wagons available from Roco and a few more from Bemo.

4) You're right, it does use N Gauge track. However, Peco make special 009 track which looks a bit nicer (in my honest opinion.) Here's a photo showing the difference:

N Gauge track is on the left with denser sleepers, 009 on the right.

I hope this has helped! :)

Chocolat Express

Postby Chocolat Express » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:06 pm

As Bungi said in his post RTR stock for 009 is a bit thin on the ground though Lilliput have some mainly of Austrian prototype, but there are plenty of kits about try Dundas Parkside as a starting point. I think the main problem with 009 or HOe is the guage/scale varity is almost to varible as to what runs with what. Tthat is one of the reasons I've opted for a freelance basis for my small end to end "narrow guiage" based on a fictious island somewhere in the North Sea but where I havnt got a clue!!
Back to your question EBay is a good source for rolling stock but keep an eye on what you want to pay as things seem to get out of hand at times with the bidding. Set your maximum bit and then stay with it no matter how tempted you are to win.
Hope this helps
Regards

Derek

Strangers are friends that have yet to meet

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:27 pm

Going back to number 1 - there are loads of books out now which cover various areas of the country covering all things from slate to coal to sand - I'd suggest you look for a book that covers the type of industry you want and have a look, they usually include plans and drawings - the Oakwood Press and David and Charles Publishers would be a good start - try also Midland Counties websire.

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:01 pm

What sort of gradients can be expected on a Narrow Gauge railway in scale terms?

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:32 pm

Depends on what you are modelling - for the steepest just look at the inclines on the slate quarries, but no engines worked up and down them. The "main lines" of the slate lines tended to be on a constant down grade from the quarry to the port, not all that steep, as the slate came down by gravity they didn't want a pile up at the bottom! Both the Tallylyn and Ffestiniog are good examples.

I'd say that the Weslhpool has probably the steepest gradients of the existing NG in the UK, parts of Golfa Bank are as steep as 1 in 25 and, to be honest, and speaking from experience (!), thats the maximum you should aim for in model form if you are working on normal adhesion. You could go for steeper, but train length will suffer, as will the mechanisms.

I believe the Snowdon Mountain is steeper, but that is rack!

Adi.p

Postby Adi.p » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Bringing the thread up to date. The above statement about no RtR 009 was true in 2007 and up to 2013. Peco have just released packs of RtR 009 wagons. The wagons include a boxcar and open wagon. They are available in southern railway livery, lynton and Barnstaple livery and plain grey. These can be purchased separately or in packs which contain one open wagon and one box van. In a few months, Peco will release RtR lynton and Barnstaple railway coaches. A composite and a brake. These will be available in l&b red and gold or southern green.
To complement this, heljian have just announced that they are designing the first RtR 009 loco. They have chosen the L&B's own yeo to base it on.

Adding a narrow gauge railway to a larger layout can fill an empty space or corner and can just be a layout on its own.
The young railway enthusiast, an endangered species

Adi.p

Postby Adi.p » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:17 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (15.79 KiB) Viewed 3284 times

Yeo
image.jpg
image.jpg (13.56 KiB) Viewed 3284 times
The young railway enthusiast, an endangered species

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”