009 Double Fairlie

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
Daniel11

009 Double Fairlie

Postby Daniel11 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi folks!

Just conjuring up a plan in my head for building a ffestiniog double fairlie in 009. I reckon using a bullant motor chassis and dummy to drive it would be ok then build a frame to fit the bogies to and build the body onto that frame. Any reasons why that wouldn't work? Would the motor be strong enough?
Bullant Chassis The good thing is that at 10.5mm the wheels are almost exactly the right diameter for a double fairlie which has driving wheels of 32 inches in reality. Not too sure about wheelbase length though.

My main problem is valve gear. Is it possible to add valve gear to disk wheels like that? RT models do some etched stuff designed for the grafar 08 chassis, but it might be able to be adapted if there is any way of modifying the wheels/kit to each other.
RT Models Valve Gear The double slide bar version looks closest, but would have to be adapted for two axles. I'm not too worried about the valve gear being 100% accurate as long as it looks right!

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Daniel
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-
A preserved railway in a fictional location. Complete with Harbour, Mainline station with branch line connection and extensive loco depot.

Bufferstop

Re: 009 Double Fairlie

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:45 pm

If you went for the custom built option, could you specify 3 hole wheels, you could then fit crank pins in the holes. If you just fitted a connecting rod to the crosshead and slide bars could you get away with not fitting the coupling rods, it would avoid the need to get the wheels correctly aligned for quartering. The alternative would be Hornby Pug wheels which are about the right size and on 2mm axles.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:29 am

Daniel, can I suggest that you join the NGRM Forum and post your question on there. I don't have any experience of that kit, though I do know they recommend a BoBo diesel chassis for it so two Bullants could be possible, though expensive, my only thought is that the Bullant is a tall chassis so you'd have to check clearances. I am sure that several people on NGRM have built one so they may be of more assistance than us!

http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php

You will need to register before you can post, they had some issues in the past so a careful who they let in!

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:51 am

If you put - double-Fairlie 009 - into Google images it will show you how a variety of people have tackled this question.

Including the old 009 dodge over valve gear of fitting tramway side-plates!

I've never had anyone tell me why the Bullant chassis are so wonderful, given their high price. Perhaps they are.
Other approaches are either to use a BO-BO chassis and add or ignore the valve gear, or to use two small(and cut-down) 0-4-0 steam loco chassis.
The availability of suitable or tolerable ones at reasonable prices is patchy, to say the least.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:54 am

Emettman wrote:I've never had anyone tell me why the Bullant chassis are so wonderful, given their high price.

You are able to order them with variable wheelbases, wheel diameters and fixing points making them more acuarate and flexible than an RTR chassis.

Price is relative, £90 for a twin or about £70 for a powered+dummy isn't that bad, especially if it's accurate. If your prototype has large wheels then N gauge chassis just aren't good enough and Bemo HOe/m chassis, if you can get a suitable one, are much more expensive! You may compromise, Chris, but some of the East European NG diesels i do have very large wheels which are also very visible so using a chassis with 5/6mm wheels when they should be 9/10mm just doesn't look right.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:25 pm

b308 wrote:
Emettman wrote:I've never had anyone tell me why the Bullant chassis are so wonderful, given their high price.

You are able to order them with variable wheelbases, wheel diameters and fixing points making them more acuarate and flexible than an RTR chassis.

Good, now I know.
No-one had ever told me. I've never built a prototype 009 railway and my last real fling, with Eggerbahn, was 40 years ago.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Daniel11

Postby Daniel11 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:09 pm

Hi,
Thanks for all the replys!
Bufferstop wrote:If you went for the custom built option, could you specify 3 hole wheels, you could then fit crank pins in the holes.

Sounds like a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. The quedion is how difficult is it to get valve working? The hornby pug wheels could work too. The L and Y pug has valve gear that might be suitable as well, so if the wheelbase was a similar length then I could transplant the whole lot. Presumably the wheels just slide down the axle so I can change the gauge of the wheelsets?

I did have an account on NGRM a while back so I'll go
and post it over there as well.

The Langley kit (which I'm avoiding btw because of bad reviews and my lack of whitemetal experience ) uses a Bachmann N gauge GP40 chassis which I understand is ok, but it's tall, so the motor sticks up through the cab and doesn't look right.

Would love a Backwood's kit but don't trust myself to build it!

I'll have a look around see what I can find.

Thanks
Daniel
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-
A preserved railway in a fictional location. Complete with Harbour, Mainline station with branch line connection and extensive loco depot.

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”