Ready to Run Skarloey from Thomas and Friends

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
kennyGWSR

Ready to Run Skarloey from Thomas and Friends

Postby kennyGWSR » Thu May 21, 2015 10:27 am

Now for anyone interested in Thomas modelling, or even the Talyllyn, then this maybe of some use to you....Bachmann USA's Thomas and Friends range is expanding into the 009 world with the introduction of Skarloey and a few wagons, see here:
http://shop.bachmanntrains.com/index.ph ... 56_772_975
No release date for any of it yet....and if they do take your fancy don't worry about having to buy through the U.S if that worrys you, there is a shop in Scotland that buys in the Bachmann Thomas items:
http://www.thedieselworks.co.uk/thomas- ... -c-37.html

Hope some people find this useful :)

Kenny
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

Emettman

Re: Ready to Run Skarloey from Thomas and Friends

Postby Emettman » Thu May 21, 2015 12:00 pm

I just saw that, when you referenced the dieselworks earlier.
An OO(?) Oliver will be popular, I suspect. Is this all getting out just before Hornby's re-launch?

Interesting: a quick search (I wanted just to make sure Skarloey was the 0-4-2) found a video with THREE 009 diecast skarloey railway locos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt5PnYuJpSo
and at least one more.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqW3IJmh7ZQ
But this is from 2008.
It turns out that this individual (TopKaz Fatt) has converted a whole range of TakealongThomas (smaller) /Bandai diecast gold II bodies and fitted them with Lifelike N-gauge chassis...
Skarloey looks remarkably like Bachmann's proposed offering: I wonder if they can have piggybacked on Bandai's mounds?

That might tie in with something I've just been experimenting with
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu May 21, 2015 12:56 pm

I wonder if the introduction of 009 in their Thomas range has anything to do with Peco's sudden decision to introduce 009 settrack after all these years.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

kennyGWSR

Postby kennyGWSR » Thu May 21, 2015 3:52 pm

Ive just completed repainting and slightly refurbishing a GEM kit of Talyllyn Railway's Douglas as Duncan from T+F, hoping to get the Skarloey model and make a little layout to take to exhibitions with them and any others i get. Always good with the kids!
60089 Felstead :)
Layout: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=33128
Rail photos: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=28381

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu May 21, 2015 6:57 pm

I have a bandai Skarloey I was going to convert but have given up on 009 for the time being at least anyways. The new skarloey will be much smaller than the bandai models. The vans and wagons advertised by bachmann in their catalogue in 009 are repainted peco wagons and vans.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu May 21, 2015 8:43 pm

Alexander Court wrote:The new skarloey will be much smaller than the bandai models.

The new one being more to scale? Or too small?
The Take-and-Play (not "Bringalong" ) Thomas diecasts are somewhat smaller than the Bandai ones, according to 'net information.
The latter are now pretty rare and a bit too pricey for me to consider having a play with.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Daniel11

Postby Daniel11 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:21 pm

This is quite a big thing in the NG modelling community at the moment! The model is actually very close to 4mm scale. A lot of people have bought them to convert to a model of the real Talyllyn loco. A Bachmann model of Rheneas has also been announced for later this year.

There is a detailing kit available from Narrow Planet - https://narrowplanet.myshopify.com/coll ... ts/npc-012 and lining decals available from http://www.dtbmodels.ml/Lining_Decals/c ... 75467.aspx in both red and black liveries (designed by myself).
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-
A preserved railway in a fictional location. Complete with Harbour, Mainline station with branch line connection and extensive loco depot.

b308

Postby b308 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:10 pm

kennyGWSR wrote:No release date for any of it yet....

Just to put the record straight, it's been out for a few months now, but sold out! You can get it on Ebay and similar but will pay a premium. It will be worth waiting for the next batch Bachmann produce (they have already confirmed there will be a second run)... Both the 009 Society's Sales Team (for Members only) and Tootally Thomas have sold around 150 or so between them and at well below the cost of importing them from the USA or buying from other UK retailers who seem to want to load the price. For non 009 Society members I'd recomend emailing Steve at Tootally to reserve one. His prices for the first run were by far the cheapest. The stock that goes with it is so far repainted Peco wagons which can be bought over here (but not in TTE livery!)...

Bachmann have already announced the next loco, Rheneas, though there has been no firm date as yet, other rolling stock is likely as well.

Although they are advertised in the US as HO scale that is just for sales over there, Skarloey is actually a pretty good scale model of Tallylyn in 009, there are a couple of deviations, the main one being the size of the cylinders (they are way too prominent!), but as Daniel has said there are several people who now offer a "conversion kit" for those who want to make it more like Tallylyn (or even a proper loco!). Chris Ward also produces a replacement smoke box front for the face.

For those who wonder what on earth Bachmann are up to not selling a "true" version of the loco in the UK or even selling the loco itself in the UK, they can't due to Copyright issues, mores the pity, so you can only get them as a sort of grey import.

The ones I've seen are nice runners, though I have also heard that one or two have had issues, very much in the minority, though, and have been replaced straight away by the importer.

HonestTom

Postby HonestTom » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:02 pm

Apparently they're also going to do slate wagons. However, given that Peco are also advertising these as a future release, I suspect Bachmann's will just be repainted Peco.

Personally, i think a good choice for a future release would be Rusty - based on the Talyllyn's Midlander. Those Ruston diesels got everywhere. Duncan - a Barclay 0-4-0 - would be a good choice as well.

And if they ever get around to Duke, based on FR's Prince, I'm basically going to start throwing my money at the factory until it comes out.
http://coarsescale.wordpress.com/for all your model railway-related rambling incoherence needs.

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:12 pm

All their rolling stock has indeed been repainted Peco and that will probably continue.

I believe the next loco will be another from the Tallylyn/Rev Awdrey stable.

Bachmann are not doing these as 009 models they are doing them as Thomas Narrow Gauge so don't expect anything that isn't already featured in the books. The last thing Bachmann US will do is some niche 009 stock (bear in mind it's not Bachmann Europe but the US arm that make this stuff and I believe the two don't speak!)...

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:01 am

The next loco is supposedly meant to be Rheneas as he is the Skarloey Railway's No.2 loco.

Alex.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”