Suitable DC controllers for HOe locomotives?

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
YardMaster

Suitable DC controllers for HOe locomotives?

Postby YardMaster » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:56 pm

Dear all,

Having worked in 00 for some time, I'm considering dabbling in 009/ HOE, probably starting with mini trains or Roco locomotives to get things up and running quickly. My question is, are there any special requirements for DC controllers suitable for use with these models? Will standard controllers suitable for N:
/00 gauge be adequate, or are low amperage controllers required, as has been suggested to me by some?

My apologies for what is probably a foolish question, but thought I should check so I can price out the options (or use one of my own controllers!)

b308

Re: Suitable DC controllers for HOe locomotives?

Postby b308 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:28 am

Ones that are designated for N will work any of the HOe locos ok, just don't get a feedback controller as some of the locos don't like them. You only need a max 1 amp output. I use a Gaugemaster D or W. Some of the ones that are for OO/HO are not suitable either. Minitrains have recently issued a controller specifically for their range of locos which I've been told is excellent for other HOe and 009 locos, only costs about £35/40 as well! I'll be trying it out on my Z gauge chassis to see if it's any good shortly!

http://www.minitrains.eu/mt-price-in-gbp.html

YardMaster

Re: Suitable DC controllers for HOe locomotives?

Postby YardMaster » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:44 pm

Many thanks B308, that's very helpful. The Minitrains controller is not unreasonably priced, think I shall go with that :)

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”