Different sizes of 009 NG locos

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
Daniel11

Re: Different sizes of 009 NG locos

Postby Daniel11 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:12 pm

Yh well that's what I thought would be easier. I am not but maybe it would look okay with more than one coach? But anyway I can stick them together as one if necessary!
Thanks
Daniel 11
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-
A preserved railway in a fictional location. Complete with Harbour, Mainline station with branch line connection and extensive loco depot.

Daniel11

Postby Daniel11 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:41 pm

I have quickly put together the other coach kit abs I think it makes an improvement! So I think with another coach and then a brake van it would probably look okay? I also discovered that I git two different version of the coach so joining them together might look a bit funny.
Any thoughts?
Thanks Daniel 11
Attachments
14069076759420.jpg
14069076759420.jpg (125.9 KiB) Viewed 1511 times
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-
A preserved railway in a fictional location. Complete with Harbour, Mainline station with branch line connection and extensive loco depot.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:20 pm

That looks like something not to bother about until it bothers you!
(when there's nothing better to do.)

But if and when, with a four-coach train, lowering the loco a trifle would be quicker and easier.

Back story for the line: the loco is newer, and they nearly always got a bit bigger over time.
It may have happened, but when did you last hear of the engine drivers on a line asking for a less powerful locomotive?

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:39 am

That's exactly what real narrow gauge operations usually look like, an odd assortment of locos and stock, and 'untidy' trains as a result.

There's a reason for this. Most were constructed as cheaply as possible to provide transport for a limited traffic in a difficult terrain, which made standard gauge construction unaffordable. What was then discovered was that the traffic couldn't really support the NG operation either! (That's why they all went to the wall without any assistance from a Dr Beeching.) So operation continued as cheaply as possible, with purchases of the cheapest suitable second hand items from other failed NG operations a frequent event, so that mismatched stock constructed to different standards ran together.

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:06 am

British narrow gauge did, certainly. Over on the Continent they did things rather differently, hence there's quite a lot still around and even the stuff that closed, closed a lot later than they did over here.

Daniel11

Postby Daniel11 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:45 pm

Thanks. Yh well as long as it looks ok then i'm happy! And to me it does look ok and makes thing look a little more interesting than if there was a uniform roofline. Thanks for all your help everyone! I will hopefully keep you posted on all my NG exploits when I get back from a two week holiday in Wales.
Thanks
Daniel11
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-

Stanier5

Postby Stanier5 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:58 pm

Daniel11 wrote:Yh thanks that would explain it! It's just that they don't look quite right running together!

The size of the loco looks fine. It's not the biggest issue there is, given that it's freelance and in real-life these things varied a great deal.

Daniel11 wrote:Is there any thing I can do to make it look a bit better?

Yes! detailing, it's not finished.

Basically, you have two options: On the one hand in real life they would have been mostly never cleaned and so filthy; in preservation they'd be overloved and gleaming.

Industrial option: Heavy weathering for the industrial look. Don't forget works plates, and maybe nameplates as well. Since it's your first, I like the name "Vanguard". :-)

Preserved look: Works plates (definitely), possibly nameplates, number plate and/or painted number. Basic lining out in red (do the cab side in a square and the tank). Practice on some scrap first! Especially for the preserved look. http://narrowplanet.co.uk/

4. A crew

Detailing: there's a lot of space under the boiler and real life electronic gubbins visibile in there so you probably want to hide that, perhaps by making the boiler a little chunkier at the bottom? Perhaps by putting toolboxes on the side. And there'd definitely be a reversing lever one side (have a look at prototype photos); a reverser is basically fundamental to how a steam engine works.

There's quite often a pipe running at a angle between the smokebox and the cylinders (again look at photos). Put this on and it'll improve the look of the smokebox no end.

Add inspection covers in the tram skirt for accessing both wheels and the cylinder for lubricating purposes. Have a look at some prototype photos. This can be done with some thin plasticard.

Replace the over-thick safety valves with brass ones. Also consider adding a larger brass dome? Add crushed coal to the bunkers (you don't need much).

Daniel11

Postby Daniel11 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:09 pm

Hi. Thanks for that. Very useful. I hadn't really given the finer details much thought. I think I will try and model it with a bit of modellers license on Edward Thomas on the Talyllyn Railway the main difference of course being the tram skirts. Narrow Planet have a pack of plates for Edward Thomas so I will probably buy that. There are some helpful photos here http://www.cambridgetrainshop.co.uk/009 ... GAUGE.html (scroll down a bit) about detailing and lining. Lining in red sounds good and the other little touches you suggest will hopefully really improve the look.
Keeping my eyes open and getting lots of reference photos at the moment at some of the Welsh narrow gauge railways. I am staying very near the Talyllyn so hopefully will get an opportunity to get some photos of him before I come home!
Thanks
Daniel 11
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:23 pm

Daniel11 wrote:... the main difference of course being the tram skirts.

That's mainly about hiding the lack of coupling-rods and other motion!
Clutter along the running plate can be used to play "hide the motor".
Some narrow-gauge locos seemed to carry jacks with them virtually as standard, but giant re-railing levers were a speciality of the Darjeeling B Class.

"Hide the motor" can be a game for 00 locos too, especially when there's a bit too much of it in the cab.
Adding the right or left *half* of a driver or fireman to block the view further in can be quite effective.

Or if there's nothing blocking the way then there's room for a *whole* driver!

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Stanier5

Postby Stanier5 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:09 pm

Daniel11 wrote:Hi. Thanks for that. Very useful. I hadn't really given the finer details much thought. I think I will try and model it with a bit of modellers license on Edward Thomas on the Talyllyn Railway the main difference of course being the tram skirts. Narrow Planet have a pack of plates for Edward Thomas so I will probably buy that. There are some helpful photos here http://www.cambridgetrainshop.co.uk/009 ... GAUGE.html (scroll down a bit) about detailing and lining. Lining in red sounds good and the other little touches you suggest will hopefully really improve the look.
Keeping my eyes open and getting lots of reference photos at the moment at some of the Welsh narrow gauge railways. I am staying very near the Talyllyn so hopefully will get an opportunity to get some photos of him before I come home!
Thanks
Daniel 11

I'd advise against using "Edward Thomas" plates since you're not modelling it directly on the prototype, but see rule 1.

Also, beware that lining is tricky!
(summary at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ocomotive/)

BR orange-and-black lining transfers are also a possibility?

Daniel11

Postby Daniel11 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:02 pm

Thanks for the tip! As for the name I have found 5 rivers in Wiltshire that have four letters so following the example of the Lynton and Barnstapke Railway I am going to name each of the narrow gauge locos I buy after a different one of those rivers. SO this loco is now called 'Cole'. Build by Kerr Stuart in 1921. I have ordered the name/works plates from narrow planet so that is that sorted.
I have also detailed the interior and got myself a loco crew to go in there! There is not too much left to do now out of the detailing - only need to hide the motor, addo lamps etc and do the lining.
I will post updates as and when I do things!
Daniel 11
Regards Daniel
Staverton Junction-

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”