009 Track

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
Pete

009 Track

Postby Pete » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:20 am

Hi all

I'm taking a foray into 009, still formulating a layout, but it will be based around the tracks laid in Northern France during WWI, though it is not going to be a trench war layout, it'll probably be set in the early 1920s.

I would be interested in any views on 009 gauge track.

It seems to me that there are four basic options:

Peco 009 Track

Peco N Gauge with possible sleeper adjustment

Handbuilt

Find some European/Japanese narrow gauge track

Both the Peco options seem quite easy, the stuff is readily available and is pretty robust and probably represents an average track, though the points are a bit clunky in their appearance.

Hand built is an option, but it's complicated and 'hard' 'cos I never done it before :oops: but is an option... :? ... maybe...

There are other RTR tracks, but I have no experience of them, though Shinohara 009 (or the HO equivalent) track looks excellent in pictures...

A specific sleeper spacing is not required, but just using N track won't be appropriate.

So, would appreciate any comments on suitable track to achieve a good, relativity prototypical look.

Thanks as ever in advance.

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

b308

Re: 009 Track

Postby b308 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:39 am

A good question which is often asked on NG forums!

The general consensus for those of us that are based in the UK is either Peco or handbuilt...

Peco do two 009/HOe ranges these days, either "crazytrack" or "mainline". Crazytrack is the original and the sleepers are made to look "rough" and not quite straight. Mainline is a copy of Modern day practice in mainland Europe, closely following track I've seen in Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic, though it is also close to some UK railways. It's introduction was to counter the upsurge of sales in Europe of HOe track from the likes of Tillg and Roco and in Japan from Shinohara, Europe being Peco's main sales area for 9mm NG track.

Briefly, Tillig track is very good, but the points are delicate (though can be curved!), Roco plain track is good, and they do do "setrack" which makes curves easier, but their points don't look good, Shinohara is good but not easy to get...

Hence why most people use Peco which looks good, and, in latest form the points are excellent, though you need to make sure you are getting the latest version and not old stock.

For the use you are talking of then Peco will be fine, I'd probably suggest that crazytrack is more suitable for the plain track, though if you can find any cheap then Roco will also look ok. Don't worry if you mix up different systems as in real life it's unlikely they'd have used only one lot of track, even today if you look at many lines you'll see variations in the rail and sleepers used, in the 20s that would be even more common as small pieces of track would have been replaced as and when needed rather than in big lots...

Finally handbuilt is used by those wanting to do it all themselves or where the "standard" RTR points would not fit. By all means have a go, but personally I don't bother...

Peco N? No, don't. End of!!

Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:43 am

Thanks Blair

I'd forgotten about Trilig, food for thought, I was actually heading towards 'crazy' Peco, I will now review this!

There's no rush on this project so can fully research.

Could you recommend a good NG forum?

Pete

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:53 am

I'd tend to stick with crazytrack for that purpose, easy to get and will look ok for this purpose...

Narrow Gauge Forums? Only one which covers all scales and interests, though the Societies have their own...

http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php

It's not an open forum, though, they had some trouble in the past so you have to register before you can look. Many well known NG modelers (many from overseas) are members, though, so it's well worth the effort!!

(See you there!) :mrgreen:

Pete

Postby Pete » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:03 am

Thanks Blair

Much appreciated.

I'll make my way over later today, off to the shops now... :(

Pete

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:15 am

Thinking about it, Charlie Insley's done a French 009 layout, St. Etienne-en-Caux, and I think used that track. It's sometimes listed as HOe, but it's actually 009 I believe, based on the 600mm lines in northern France. There were articles in Continental Modeller a year or two ago though I can't remember the exact issues...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fairlightw ... otostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fairlightworks/4510677361/

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”