009 Catalogues

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
Vulcan

Re: 009 Catalogues

Post by Vulcan »

Pictures of the mystery loco are here:

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 29&t=25674

so as not to hijack this thread further.
lamy

Post by lamy »

Looks good...
looking forward to seeing it painted.
Never seen it before.

lamy
redleader

Post by redleader »

Hi is there an 'update' to this and would the graham farish 2-6-2 chassis from their new 3MT or the GWR 61XX fit in The vale of Rheidol loco's? And would Backwoods miniature 0-4-0 chassis fit the Talylln railway 'Tom Rolt' and 'Edward Thomas'? Answers would be very, very, very helpfull.
b308

Post by b308 »

Hi RL... you'll find that the reason there are not many posts on here is that we use this forum for general MR chat and updates on our layouts and NGRM-online for more detailed discussion... I think that you would be better registering on there as well and asking the question.... That is not to say that someone on here can't answer your query, just not me!
Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

redleader wrote:Hi is there an 'update' to this and would the graham farish 2-6-2 chassis from their new 3MT or the GWR 61XX fit in The vale of Rheidol loco's? And would Backwoods miniature 0-4-0 chassis fit the Talylln railway 'Tom Rolt' and 'Edward Thomas'? Answers would be very, very, very helpfull.
Hi Redleader.

The Farish 61xx 2-6-2 chassis's are no good for kits that require the Minitrix 2-6-2. I have both chassis's, the Minitrix chassis's are shorter and have much smaller wheels. Not sure about the 3MT.

You can pick up the Minitrix chassis's second hand at exhibitions. The 009 society usually have a few to pick from on their second hand stall. I've found that the German ones with the red wheels are lovely runners.
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

Wow! This post is really helpful!
Thanks!

I was just browsing the loco kits on Parkside Dundas when I came across this Austrian 0-8-4T loco and wanting to know what it looks like checked Google Images and find this brilliant post!
Found a lot of other nice loco kits!
Particularly articulated ones! Golden Arrows Meyer "Monarch" and Garratt "K1"...
Am I right Golden Arrow's kits are whitemetal?
That would probably make it a way easier kit than the Backwoods K1...

Thanks again for this post!
Tim
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

bunji wrote: Austrian Railways Class 399 'Engerth'
Price: 48.00 (!)
Requires Bachmann 2-8-2 Mikado Chassis
0-6-2
What Chassis is meant by "Bachmann 2-8-2 Mikado"?
I can't find one with that name. Nor one with the wheel arrangement. (I think "Mikado" refers to the wheel arrangement anyway so it could mean loads of different locos)

Thanks
Tim
b308

Post by b308 »

I assume we're talking about the Chivers whitemetal kit? You can use the Bachmann 2-8-0 Consolidation tender loco, I understand it was designed for the earlier version of the model, but I've used the currently 'blackened wheels' version...

The prototype is called an Engarth and is an 0-8+4, the tender being permamently close-coupled so it can run at normal speed in both directions...

Roco do an rtr one...
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

Thanks!
Yeah! Still run on the Mariazellerbahn! My girlfriend's brother is a big fan so it's cool Chivers do a whitemetal kit! Roco's are just way too expensive (and they've stopped producing the one in the nice livery anyway).
The Tender is known in German as a "Stütztender" meaning ~ "Supporting tender".
How is the kit? Detailed? Easy to build?
Photos would be nice! I like the look of the engines myself actually (spend long hours looking at them on roco.cc) though I don't usually like continental locos particularly...
Cheers!
Tim
b308

Post by b308 »

Got rid of mine ages ago so no photos. The kit has been out of production a long time, so if they have any they are old stock. Its easy enough to make up using superglue, though it needs detailing.

If you are serious about HOe then I'd suggest you join the 009 Society, they get both the kit and the rtr model of this loco (and others from the line) and sell them on their secondhand stall at affordable prices.
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

Sold it? No photos? :shock:
Sounds like there are loads of benefits to being in the 009 society!
Where can you buy those kits and chassis (or even RTR) cheap when you're a member? Online? Or in person (would make things complicated)?
b308

Post by b308 »

Stopped modelling Austrian years ago, hence no photo!

At Shepton he was selling an unmade kit and chassis for £75, though thats the first one I'd seen for a while... The Roco was, I think a little over £100 which isn't bad when you look at the RRP... The thing to remember is that its other Members selling them so the prices can vary somewhat and either you get lucky or have to wait a while... Bit like ebay, I suppose...

Re the chassis, the best thing to do is watch what either Bachmann or someone like Hattons are up to, both cost me less than £50. Its the usual case of keeping your eyes pealed and getting in quick when they come up... Its a trait you get used to when NG modelling... The main thing to remember, though, is not to pay over the odds... Some toyfair traders have a very over-inflated view of how rare NG stuff really is!! :roll:
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

Caw!
Those are good prices! :D
Don't know how easy it would be to buy things from the 009society. And membership is twice as expensive outside the UK.
Do Hattons sell Bachmann N gauge locos? I know they sell Graham Farish (I got an N gauge 08 and a 91 off Hattons) but do they sell the US N gauge Bachmann stuff (e.g. the Consolidation)?
On Bachmann's page (http://www.bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?pro ... ann&prod=1) those things cost £141.00!
b308

Post by b308 »

As I said, you just have to have patience and get in quick when they are cheap!

Membership is £23 UK, and £28 outside Europe (surface mail) and £30 in Europe... The extra cost over the UK is just postal costs... Not double though! :wink:
TJGoode

Post by TJGoode »

Ah yes, £30, not £40. Not double... :oops:
:roll:
My expenditures for model railway stuff have stopped for an uncertain while now though... :(
But I still have plenty of unfinished kits at home to concentrate on before I start thinking of getting extra kits.