A WHOLE NEW Start in 0 16.5!

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
whynot

A WHOLE NEW Start in 0 16.5!

Post by whynot »

....an occasional series!

Being so far unable to convince myself that 0 scale a sensible way to spend lots of money but liking the "size", started on a small experiment in Narrow Gauge! Cost is minimal to date (bit over a tenner for a repainted Bachmann Junior saddle tank as a donor, less than that for some gash wagon chassis, some card and plasticard for overlays). And little time - well, pretty crude stuff I know! Using card rather than plastic because I find it easier to cut and shape the sort of thickness that will be robust.

IF I progress to a "layout", will be a 2 point affair in micro 4' x 1", so that will also be cheap enough.

Last edited by whynot on Mon May 27, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Bellamy

Re: An Experiment in 0:16.5....

Post by Mike Bellamy »

There is a very detailed and long running topic on RMweb about building all sorts of 7mm Narrow Gauge models in card including some designs that you can download. Have a look here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... e-in-card/

Mike
whynot

Post by whynot »

Thanks for that - I had already skimmed part of that Thread via usual search routines. Having looked in more detail I'm reinforced in my view that I don't have the necessary skills to make a worthwhile go at scratcbuilt NG! Rough and ready is one thing, just rough is another! I'll add some photos as proof shortly.

So, the decision is pretty costly RTR 0:16.5 (0n30?) or stay with 00 or the big and downright expensive leap into RTR 0.....
whynot

Post by whynot »

By their nature, some experimants are not a great success! This one fell into that category - best to find one's limitations with as little cost as possible, so these will be heading at junk prices to a Classifieds near you very shortly! The Bachmann Junior is an excellent runner - if I could find a standard gauge 00 bodyshell that would fit it I'd certainly keep it.

Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Have to say not bad for a first attempt!
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
whynot

Re: A WHOLE NEW Start in 0 16.5!

Post by whynot »

Finally decided to go for it in a more organised manner. (A thread under "Layouts Under Construction", but I guess a bit too specific for there!)

Bought some ready-built stuff, mainly as templates and guides to my own less sophisticated attempts:

as demonstrated by my 2 locos and sone wagons:

Even bought some Peco 0 16.5 track and points, trying to fit into 60" x 18" (plus a sliding traverser).

Three locos have set me back 75 quid and some time, so not expensive by 0 scale standards. Much fun and that is what counts!

With luck all so far (and more, maybe) can be seen here:

http://s125.photobucket.com/user/wasnti ... t=3&page=1

Any and all interest welcome!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Go for it Dave. You may not think the ones you've made so far are brilliant, but they are good enough as a proof of concept, and card is cheap enough to have several goes at the same design, it's how most of my models get made. For rivet detail how about embossing it from the back of a paper overlay, emboss then cut, avoids distorted edges. The little saddle tank looks the part in that picture. You can go back and add the fine detail later. Look forward to your progress reports.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
whynot

Post by whynot »

Thank you, John! The 2 DIY diesels are plastikard - and I'm quite pleased with them. And being H0 donors they run really well - one an 0 4 0 and the other an 0 6 0 Bachmann.

After dozens of "ideas", decided that got to settle on simple track plan - I've started cutting nice new 0 16.5 Peco to size, so I'll HAVE to leap in...

Will run with a near 24" traverser, serving as a run round.
whynot

Post by whynot »

Dry and bright enough to start construction outside - can now continue indoors irrespective of the weather!

If all goes to plan (unlikely I know), then all track in place, wired and basic running within 10 days!
pete12345

Post by pete12345 »

Looks like a good start. I did something similar a while back, making a few wagons using some thin wood for the sides and the chassis from some old 00 wagons. I also made a steam loco using a Hornby 0-4-0, some plasticard and a shortened open wagon to use as a coal tender. I made a diesel in a similar way using various bits and pieces.

I found that normal 00 gauge track looks good with alternate sleepers removed- the sleepers on Peco's narrow gauge offerings remind me of firewood and I prefer my railways to have nice neat trackwork ;) Doing the points gets a bit fiddly though and it may be easier to just cut off the visible bits once the track is laid.
whynot

Post by whynot »

Only update....all sold off. I wasn't happy with the quality of my efforts at bashing and scratching and I wasn't going to get any better!

Nine days into detached retina repair surgery recuperation - modelling at all may be a thing of the past....
Deltic55

Post by Deltic55 »

How about these?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (21.45 KiB) Viewed 5344 times
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Those look nice Deltic55. (Sorry I can't see other pics on this thread).
Are they scratch built, RTR conversions or kits?