Smallbrook Studios "IRIS"

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
SR/ScR Fan

Smallbrook Studios "IRIS"

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:27 am

Hi all,

I'm very new to the world of Narrow Gauge, but i have always found them very charming. I saw the Smallbrook Studios range and thought i'd give one a go and see how it went. These are just a few snaps of its current state of progress, any comments or suggestions from experienced narrow gaugers will be greatly welcomed.

General view of Iris. The number 5's were hand painted to see how they would look. Some transfers will be sourced as I am drawn to the large number idea.

A closer view.

The added coal bunker. Only added this very evening from cut pieces of ice cream tub plastic.

All in all, a very enjoyable kit to put together. I used standard Loctite superglue to put the kit together. The chassis is the Hornby "Percy" mechanism, also found on "Smokey Joe" and various other tank engines in the Hornby range, as standard, but painted.

Paintwork is: Body: Revell Matt Acrylic 68 "Dark Green"
Chassis and Frame: Revell Semi-Matt Enamel 302 "Black"
Buffer Beams: Revell Matt Enamel 332 "Luminous Red"
Cab Window Frames: Revell Matt Acrylic 312 "Yellow"

I did use one other colour, for the dome, chimney top and various other fittings, but i cannot remember the name off the top of my head, as it's not a Revell colour. I think it may be called "Tinny Tin".

Thank you for taking the time to look over my little offering.

Cheers,

Rob

Tiddles

Re: Smallbrook Studios "IRIS"

Postby Tiddles » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:41 am

I have a Smallbrook loco too :)
I tried to get in to O16.5 about a year ago and this is as fare as I got :oops: I have given up on the idea now but hope to finish the models one day :roll:

I got Echo the barrel waggon and a coach. I was not happy with the Hornby performance to modified a Bachmann Juniors 0-4-0 (Percy is the same model). This did mean modifying the kit by using the Bachmann boiler. But it is a beautiful runner even at slow speeds. The Juniors model is no very, very hard to get but the identical "Percy" loco can be got for £30.

The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”

sir hayden

Postby sir hayden » Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:20 am

Those are really good models :).

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:39 pm

Evening all,

I thought i would pop in and post about the modifications i have made to my Smallbrook Studios "Iris".

Do excuse the paintwork, this is just a test coat. I have used a Bachmann "Bill" chassis. The footplate and side tanks have been shortened, and I have also used the boiler from "Bill" as it was a better fit. The smokebox has been hollowed out to take the rather sizeable gearbox, and the side tanks have been filled out with Milliput.

Performance has improved considerably, and I shall be used this modification on future models.

Also on the cards is a modification of a Bachmann Class 04 into a suitable narrow gauge loco.

I have also taken the plunge and have begun building a narrow gauge layout, which I will post in due course.

Thank you for taking the time to read this update.

Rob

Tiddles

Postby Tiddles » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:27 am

Nice job :D

The Bachmann Juniors 0-6-0 diesal "Harry" is worth looking at for convershion.
The hood is the right size, it just needs a new cab. Good reliable runner and not too exspensiv.
The chassis for "Harry" is same one under the saddle tank.
The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad, “Linking 13 Great States With The Nation.”

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:58 pm

Hello all,

Just a quick post of my modified diesel.

It's a freelance model, based on a combination of various prototypes.

Thanks for looking.

Rob

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:11 pm

Thought I'd add to this post. I've found these kits to be easy to build and to correct when things do not go to plan. Any broken corners or issues like bubbles in the resin can be corrected using das modelling clay. Was going to show a photo but will have to reduce the size first. Not easy on this device as I can't get it to copy and paste.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:10 am

Any new developments to your models SR/SCR fan?

SR/ScR Fan

Postby SR/ScR Fan » Sat Aug 05, 2017 11:42 am

Hi Mountain,

My apologies for not seeing your post sooner, as I'm not really an active forum user these days.

I moved away from 016.5 a short while after completing these models. I still have them but they haven't been run for several years.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:36 am

No worries. I have times of doing lots and times of doing nothing with the hobby.
I found ways to model in this scale on a budget. Why I love 0-16.5. Can make wagons for £2 each or less by making my own couplings. The main costs are the wheels.
I like the wasp stripes on the diesel. Not an easy thing to paint, as I tried it a few years ago! :D

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”