New Layout

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
ASK

New Layout

Postby ASK » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:23 pm

Ok, so I have not worked with 009 for since I was 14, when I exhibited at Porthmadoc as a junior modeller, however I thought that Id have another go, so here we are. I have not created a name for it, but having got about 1/10th through a monster loft layout in OO which was always intended to have a narrow gauge section, I think I prefer working on smaller subsections, as I think you can create more character in them. Anyway, so here it goes, I have used a floating shelf to build off and then have raised the track bed off by the amount that I would like. I intend to create other sections in the future, and the floating shelves are reasonable standard therefore I just buy more when I need them. I have decided on a highbred of bits and pieces from various railways which are going to be fused and crammed in to create the railway. I have chosen to fuse the Pendre sheds with Rhydyronen station, together with the streambed and town at Corriss. So I have got a base board of 32" x 10" to which this is going on, and after the first section is complete, it will be run off fiddle yard at both ends.

Day 1.
Draw plan onto baseboard
Dry run laying of the track
Take photo and import to computer for photo-shopping in plan view to check for features spaces (ill be using building taken from goggle earth etc...)
Raise track with standard timber sizes for future ease (for other modules)
glue cardboard contouring structures (I could not resist starting some of the slate walling and several hours later.... a small section is done)

So what I need to do now if to upload some of the photos of the progress, if I can work out how too.
Last edited by ASK on Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zarniwhoop

Re: New Layout

Postby zarniwhoop » Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:13 pm

May I be the first to put on my 'spelling nazi' or 'political correctness' hat and say "it's now called Porthmadog" :P But seriously, I too remember when it used to be spelled in the English manner (and my memory is that the F(f)estiniog's carriages were somewhat smaller in those days). Welcome back to narrow-gauge! I'm looking forward to following this.

ĸen

Krislights

Postby Krislights » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:20 am

Welsh spelling is a bit funny sometimes...
Try Swedish! so I would not worry about the odd spelling hiccup.. we all know what you mean!
Still cannot remember the longest railway station name in the world..
And that was Welsh!
Much fun to be had with NG...
I gave up on 00 years ago.
Looking forward to your plans.
Bash up a slate tile or Two, with a mallet...

Here's an interesting design thought for you...
Railways always had to be built to fit the lay of the land. Model railways are built the other way around... track first, and build the scenery around it...

I'm always coming up with off the wall comments, but that one holds water.
Build a bunch of hills and stuff, without the railway, and then fit the trains in...
And then the civillisation, buildings, that the railway brings...
A bit of an Ar** over T** way of doing things, in making a layout, but that is how it was always done, in real scale. Especially with NG!
Also expands the brain, and way of thinking about things, rather than following a set of instructions...
Clever people, us!
(sometimes..) :lol:
Welcome to the club...
:wink:
Keep the pics coming..
If the wheels don't fit...
it's probably narrow-gauge.
"Awkward thinking".

ASK

Postby ASK » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:24 am

Well, I have done lots of work on this, and it is begining to take shape, however I cannot find out how to put images in here? anyone got any pointers

ASK

Postby ASK » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:07 am

Ok, so I have used photobucket,

so here is the link to the most recent photos

http://s348.photobucket.com/albums/q347 ... Phase%202/

also the photos from the previous week is on this link

http://s348.photobucket.com/albums/q347 ... Phase%201/

So must of the parts are in place, I have several more buildings to build and also the engine shed #2 to bring upto the same stage as shed #1 the bridge by the shop has to be completed, work progressed on this last night, but I am thinking about what sort of bridge to use there...

So very soon Ill be spreaying the entrire base to seal the cardboard, and then I can lay the track properly and ballast

Blaqkaudio009

Postby Blaqkaudio009 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:35 am

i dont think it could loook any more narrow gauge! that bridge is beautiful! well done to you

zarniwhoop

Postby zarniwhoop » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:36 pm

Nice. I hope you weren't intending to have anything taller than the Bagnall, it looks quite a squeeze for it. I'm particularly impressed by the tall building - looks a bit close to the line, but that might be very prototypical.

ĸen

ASK

Postby ASK » Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:14 pm

Thanks :) yes the Bagnal is the tallest loco I intend to use, I think if I made the bridge any bigger, it would have lost it character, as 'Douglas' looks right at the moment under it. My current plan is to put 2 more tall buildings on the opposite side of the track, and to try and get some interest in the roof structure of them, but keep them high. I hope this will frame the layout and hide two power supplies a 16V and a 12V, so far very pleased with it. Hoping I can get the Slate painted to the right effect, thinking of using some oils as a final detail with a stiff brush to get some texture on the outer surface of the slabs, but will have to experiment a little, but still a little way from this point yet.

Krislights

Postby Krislights » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:43 pm

I love your stone walls..
I think Blaq has done another take on it with cat litter..
I have used a similar method to yourself, with thick plasticard (?) offcuts used as slate/brick, but tried to keep the wall flat in appearance... The back of my walls actually look like your walls, and in all fairness, I wish I could turn my walls around, as the un-evenness of the back looks miles better!
Nice job..
K.
"Awkward thinking".

ASK

Postby ASK » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:15 am

Thanks again, I almost did the same on the walls, however I am forcing myself too really think about what effect I am after before committing. Anyway, got some new photos of these weekends efforts. I have painted my first ever slate building, always done a different stone effect, so I am really pleased with the result. Also laid the stones in the stream bed and ballasted the platform with very fine grit, and last of all started some of the vegetation.

Anyway some more photos, note there are two pages of them, cost I get a bit trigger happy with the camera...

http://s348.photobucket.com/albums/q347 ... /?start=20

Cheers

Alex

HenryBlue

Postby HenryBlue » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:00 am

I am really impressed, it looks brilliant, did you scratchbuild the shed?

( sorry if you have already mention ive been being amaized by your pretty pictures :P )
[center]Image[/center]

ASK

Postby ASK » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:32 pm

Yes it is a straight cardboard structure covered in Slaters embossed card, used some Langley architectural castings also. I am now working on the other shed with a similar method, but it will have half the roof made from corrugated iron roof, and the other half in slate

Krislights

Postby Krislights » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:20 pm

Nice to see white creeping into the mortarwork! makes it stand out so well. Makes a change from dull old Grey. Did you use the drybrush technique for the stones first, or just pick them all out individually without? I've got a couple of buildings coming up....
"Awkward thinking".

ASK

Postby ASK » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:29 pm

I used a grey base coat of light grey, then used a kind of light sand colour for the bulk of the mortar, slightly watered down, and covered it all, wiping the top layer back so it sat in the recesses, then once dry, picked out the various stones with a range of greys and browns. Finally used pure white (again slightly watered) and selected areas to cover (very small areas) wiping it clean on the raised surfaces, and then re-touched the stonework where i felt it was needed. Seemed to work very well in so much as accuracy with the brush did not matter too much. Ill try and take some photos of the different layers whilst doing the other shed. :)

ASK

Postby ASK » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:01 pm

Thanks everyone for looking and giving feedback, it certainly gives some encouragement to carry on. Anyway more photos added of the last weeks efforts, including Saturday. Started ballasting got 75% done sprayed and weathered, also have done much of the undergrowth around the buildings. Shed No2 is coming one and now has its base coat, and the rear side of the street building has been painted. Here is the link for the latest lot of photos, and following some more which I did not post about during the week.

Latest work
http://s348.photobucket.com/albums/q347 ... Phase%205/

some older pics from during the week
http://s348.photobucket.com/albums/q347 ... Phase%204/

Thanks and enjoy

Alex

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”