Ffestiniog "Prince"

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:48 pm

Thanks for the Alan Gibson link Curious.

Did you use the small or medium handrail knobs??

Anyway....

Tonight I Filed the areas I filled with Milliput last night and fastened on some of the various bits n bobs.

Here are the latest pictures:

I'm happy with the height of the body now. Don't want to chop too much off! The grey bits won't be very strong if I file them down.

Test ran Prince tonight. Runs great, seems to be better balanced now.

Primer next.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:31 pm

I use the short handrail knobs.

Clifton009

Re: Ffestiniog "Prince"

Postby Clifton009 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:47 pm

I have now given prince a coat of primer.

More painting to do now!

Some painting done on the chassis & started to put the main paint finish on the loco & tender.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Fri May 02, 2008 8:37 pm

Been doing a few bits on Prince in between building the new rolling stock (Pictures posted on my layout thread).

Painted some of the chassis bits & the vac pipes (Not attached yet).

Re drilled the cab floor & attached the coupling that joins the tender to the loco. I had to do this as the original hole is no more! I had to cut that bit of the cab floor out to accomodate the Fleischmann chassis.

Drilled into a lump of Milliput I stuck into the body last week to enable the chassis to screw to the body - worked a treat :D The chassis screws to the body very tightly.

Here is how Prince looks today:

Will do some more painting this weekend & attach some Greenwich couplings (Without loops) so I can run some test trains.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sun May 04, 2008 8:13 pm

Done a bit of painting on Prince this weekend and attached some Greenwich couplings:

Last edited by Clifton009 on Sat May 24, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Krislights

Postby Krislights » Sat May 17, 2008 7:00 am

Nice job, j!
Glazing those there peep-holes, then? a fine bit of painting, once again....
If the wheels don't fit...
it's probably narrow-gauge.
"Awkward thinking".

Krislights

Postby Krislights » Mon May 19, 2008 1:04 am

Glazing peep holes.. apart from the fact the VOR peepholes hinge horizontally..
I found that the hole-punch for paperwork,from work, does the perfect circle....about the right size...
If the wheels don't fit...
it's probably narrow-gauge.
"Awkward thinking".

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sat May 24, 2008 4:03 pm

Thanks for the tip re the glazing K. I have been pondering on how to do it!

Been away on hols for a couple of weeks so not done that much more on Prince.

Here is how it currently looks:

Next to do is order some hand rail knobs & some transfers.
Stick some "real" coal in the top of the tender.
Do the glazing.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Mon May 26, 2008 11:12 am

Not a bad effort on what is quite a fiddly kit to assemble is some respects, particularly doing the Fleischmann conversion.

I hope you don't mind me providing a little painting tip for you, as I notice from you latest photo that the black of the footplate has ridden slightly up the side of the saddle tank (which probably isn't noticeable at actual size!). I usually do the footplate last as it doesn't matter if you have got other colours on them because the black will obliterate it (which doesn't really work the other way round!) , and what I do is use little strips of self adhesive labels (I got a big batch of printer labels given to me years ago which have proved useful for all sorts of things) just to mask off the area that I don't want to get painted black. The labels I find do get right into the corners and come back off again easily without damaging the existing paintwork, and leaving a nice crisp line.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Mon May 26, 2008 8:27 pm

Curious Orange wrote:Not a bad effort on what is quite a fiddly kit to assemble is some respects, particularly doing the Fleischmann conversion.

I hope you don't mind me providing a little painting tip for you, as I notice from you latest photo that the black of the footplate has ridden slightly up the side of the saddle tank (which probably isn't noticeable at actual size!). I usually do the footplate last as it doesn't matter if you have got other colours on them because the black will obliterate it (which doesn't really work the other way round!) , and what I do is use little strips of self adhesive labels (I got a big batch of printer labels given to me years ago which have proved useful for all sorts of things) just to mask off the area that I don't want to get painted black. The labels I find do get right into the corners and come back off again easily without damaging the existing paintwork, and leaving a nice crisp line.

Thanks Curious.

You are quite right re the painting. It's not to my usual standard. I am not happy with the black section along the footplate, I am intending tidying it up. Good idea using labels to provide a line to paint against. I have tried masking tape before, but the paint seeps under it no matter how much you press the edge down. Not sure whether to just straighten the line or re paint all the green again on the sides?????? The line on the tender is also bugging me so I may repaint that too!

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:09 pm

Had a some of the bits for the finishing touches to Prince delivered today:

Handrail knobs from Alan Gibson. Also some extra brass wire, as I usually make a mistake at some stage and find you don't get much with any kits!

Gold lining, numbers & letters from Fox.

Will do the tidying up on the paint job and have a go at the handrails this weekend. The handrail knobs are tiny :shock: I have a magnifying glass, but maybe need a microscope :lol: The transfers aren't much bigger!

It's worth noting that the service from both companies was very quick & efficient.

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sat May 31, 2008 5:49 pm

I fitted the brass hand rails & nameplates to Prince today. The hand rail knobs weren't as difficult to fit as I thought.

I have also straightened the black line along the footplate. I used some of that invisible tape to mask & create a straight line. It seemed to work fine & came off easy.

zarniwhoop

Postby zarniwhoop » Sat May 31, 2008 8:03 pm

Oh dear, I think I might have to give up this modelling lark before I've ever really got started!. That looks really nice, and I don't think I'll ever have the skill or patience to get anywhere near that standard. :-( But, Well done, Jason!

ĸen

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Sat May 31, 2008 8:19 pm

zarniwhoop wrote:Oh dear, I think I might have to give up this modelling lark before I've ever really got started!. That looks really nice, and I don't think I'll ever have the skill or patience to get anywhere near that standard. :-( But, Well done, Jason!

ĸen

Thanks Ken.

Don't dispair! I have no patience (Ask anyone who knows me!). You will be surprised what you can achieve. I didn't think I would be able to build loco kits when I started the layout. I worked my way up as my skills improved. First I made simple wagon kits, then carriages, then an easy loco kit (i.e. not many bits & details!) which was the diesel loco on my Avatar, then I moved on to this kit. I started this on the 19th April. I do bits on it when I feel like it and other bits on the layout in between. Just take your time, do it when you are in the mood. It doesn't matter how long it takes to finish it.

zarniwhoop

Postby zarniwhoop » Sat May 31, 2008 8:53 pm

Jason, thanks for those kind words. We will see - at the moment I'm spreading my modelling fingers into too many pies!
ĸen

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”