Shall I swap scale/gauge to 0-16.5?

Post your narrow gauge model railway questions here. That includes model railway narrow track gauges Nn3 to Gn15 and beyond!.
PinkNosedPenguin

Re: Shall I swap scale/gauge to 0-16.5?

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:02 pm

Work has progressed a little more on the Simplex body. Quite a few detailing 'overlay' parts have been fixed, and so have 4 'sand boxes'.

At this point the large 'sacrificial strengthener' had to be cut through with a cutter on my little mini drill. Quite hard going (and not too pretty - but hey, its 'sacrificial', right 8)):
ImageIMG_8356 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Then the two plates either side of the cut were repeatedly bent backwards and forwards until they broke off. A bit of filing and cleaning up brought me to this (with the sand boxes and control levers clearly visible):
ImageIMG_8357 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Next came the bonnet - I had fun bending this (there were multiple half-etched lines on the inside of the curves) and then filling in around the ends which didn't quite marry up perfectly, but will not notice when painted due to some super-glue 'filler'.

Here is the body so-far, resting on the chassis - first engine side:
ImageIMG_8363 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Then gearbox-side:
ImageIMG_8360 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I now have a bit of a dilemma :o - the kit comes with a second motor which drives a fan, via two belts, in front of the radiator. This is a really nice feature, esp with DCC as it can be powered independently of the main motor using a function on the decoder. HOWEVER, my other locos have been fitted with large stay-alive units to give the best possible chance of decent running for a short wheelbase 0-4-0 (you've seen my locos running over a piece of paper without hesitating?). Now this particular loco is way smaller and lighter than my others and so even more needy of all the help it can get in the reliable-running department.

Yes, you guessed it, there's not gonna be enough room under that bonnet for second motor and drive unit for the fan AND a keep-alive :evil:. So I THINK I'll leave out the fan motor and install a keep alive. The fan would have been quite hard to see, and a bit of a gimmick really, but would have definitely been fun. This photo of a completed kit (from Nigel Lawton's site) shows the fan:
ImageFan by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Perhaps I'll sleep on it before deciding . . . :?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:14 pm

Its looking good. Is a difficult choice to make. You can't somehow mount a drivebelt to the main driveshaft of an axle?
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:35 pm

Mountain wrote:You can't somehow mount a drivebelt to the main driveshaft of an axle?

Now that is not a bad idea :idea: - it may just work if I can find a belt the right size; the fan will be pretty much directly above one of the axles. Of course the fan would only turn when the loco runs, but that's probably preferable to no fan at all . . . hmmm!

The only problem is it would make removing the body from the chassis a bit difficult . . . !

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:41 pm

Well. I recently changed a pair of belts on my car which involved getting one belt over the fan. Wasn't as difficult as I had thought. Yes, it can be a bit tight getting fingers in the right places, but all is good.
With a belt. Makes me think if it is an idea to have a belt that you can glue as a loop. Maybe one of the little elastic bands which a couple of years ago were popular with kids to make things?

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:10 pm

Well I have decided to continue on the basis that the fan will be static, and a keep alive hidden under the bonnet.

So I have now constructed the radiator assembly, with fan, which has been mounted in place on the body. I painted the really-hard-to-reach parts black, before covering in masking tape and fitting the bars. Hopefully after spraying the rest of the body when its complete, I will be able to remove the masking tape leaving black radiator grille behind the bars on one side and fan on the other.

So, it now looks like this bars-side:
ImageIMG_8364 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

And this fan-side (the exhaust will later obscure much of the fan):
ImageIMG_8365 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

A TCS M1 decoder and KA4 keep alive are now on-order . . .

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:26 pm

Whilst waiting for the decoder to arrive, I added the seat (containing nut for securing body to chassis) and the brake column:
ImageIMG_8369 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8370 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I then looked at the whitemetal driver I had purchased (from S & D Models - Phoenix #43) and realised he is way too tall for this little loco!
ImageIMG_8372 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

So I amputated both his legs (!) the left one below the knee so his bottom actually sits on the seat, and the right one above the knee so I could re-attach it at an angle so his right foot can rest on the clutch pedal. Both arms were then attached, the right one so it rests on the brake wheel, and the left one kind-of resting on the bonnet. I was originally intending to attach the head looking in the main direction of travel, but decided it would look ridiculous when travelling 'in reverse' so just have him looking straight ahead (sideways to the loco):
ImageIMG_8378 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

ImageIMG_8377 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

You'll also notice from the above photo that I used a spare part from the kit to make a section of flooring in front of the radiator - this will allow me to attach some lead underneath (for added weight and to counterbalance the driver - who weighs a useful 7g!) and also hides the worm gear underneath! I found at least one photo of a simplex with such a floor panel (http://c8.alamy.com/comp/E6XW10/demonst ... E6XW10.jpg) so decided it was prototypical enough for me!

Here is the driver from the other side:
ImageIMG_8374 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

He is just resting there posing for photos at the moment of course, pending painting, so his final position can be adjusted. The bonnet is also just sitting in position awaiting the keep alive which will (hopefully) fit nice and snugly inside it!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:28 pm

That is fantastic the way it is coming along! What colour will the main body be? I thing some faded green colour?

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Thanks for comments.

My decoder and keep alive arrived and I was pleased to confirm that the latter fits under the bonnet :D. I soldered the usual four wires from the decoder to track pickups L/R and motor red/black and connected the keep alive unit. The simplex ran :o which was a relief! So, wanting to keep everything in place under the bonnet without shortening the wires too much (just in case!) and to make it all 'disappear into the blackness under there', I used some black insulating tape to hold the electronics in position on the chassis:
ImageIMG_8380 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I now felt it safe to glue the bonnet to the rest of the body:
ImageIMG_8382 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I then fitted the exhaust, radiator top hose and hose strap. The silencer is another resin casting; there didn't seem to be anything to attach it to under the bonnet (perhaps because I had opted to omit the fan drive in favour of the keep alive?) so I improvised with a small piece of white metal (which will be 'hidden' when painted):
ImageIMG_8385 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

With the driver in place too:
ImageIMG_8386 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

So now I thought it was time for some more playing on my, erm, layout :?

P.S. Whilst running the loco, I gave the driver a lick of paint . . .
ImageIMG_8394 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:20 pm

Nice!
It even sounds like the phut phut of a Diesel! :lol:
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:43 pm

I love the sound. Did you manage to cram DCC sound I to it or is it the motor?

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:30 am

TimberSurf wrote:Nice!
It even sounds like the phut phut of a Diesel! :lol:

The only trouble is, I think they were petrol :lol:

Mountain wrote:I love the sound. Did you manage to cram DCC sound into it or is it the motor?

Haha definitely no sound chip or speaker! Its just the 'natural' sound of the little motor and all those worm gears - but it is quite a pleasing noise yes 8)

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:05 pm

Onwards with the simplex build 8)

I added the 'sprung buffers' and then came to the point I was always kind-of dreading - "COUPLINGS" :!:. After all the effort I went to fitting 'easi-shunt' couplings and NEM pockets to my N gauge stock (those springs were TINY and lost forever if pinged off onto the carpet!) I have gone with standard 00 tension lock couplings. I actually think they look ok on my other 0-16.5 models, but they were never gonna suit the Simplex :x as this shot shows all too well:
ImageIMG_8396 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

So I decided to make something out of an old paper clip. I thought the loco doesn't really need the 'arm' part of a tension lock, as the 'other' vehicle will have one :idea: so I came up with these:
ImageIMG_8401 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

... which when fitted, look like this:
ImageIMG_8403 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Its much more under-stated and will hopefully blend in quite well when its all painted. I am anticipating the Simplex spending most of its time messing about with a few of the little slate wagons like this one I built earlier:
ImageIMG_8404 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I only have one of those so far, but wanted to see what the Simplex's pulling power is like for such a small light loco:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:13 am

It certainly pulls well for such a little loco.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:07 pm

Painting time!!!

First a coat of grey primer (after a bit of sanding and filling):
ImageIMG_8408 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Then a top coat of Drab Olive which I thought an appropriate colour (and happened to have some!):
ImageIMG_8410 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I then carefully removed the masking tape which had been on the radiator grilles for quite a while (!) and picked out some other colours = radiator hose in black, controls in red:
ImageIMG_8411 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

I then applied some light weathering and installed the driver. Attached the body to the chassis. This effectively completes the model - except for nameplates which have not yet arrived:
ImageIMG_8419 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8420 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8421 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8422 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8423 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr
ImageIMG_8424 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

The diminutive little Simplex (soon to be named Stanley) next to Mable:
ImageIMG_8426 by Pink Nosed Penguin, on Flickr

Thanks for reading . . .

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:26 pm

Now that really looks the part! I'm impressed by how it pulls a decent load.

Return to “Narrow Gauge Model Railway”