Hornby Select Controller with Bachmann DCC sound Loco?

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Steamingon

Hornby Select Controller with Bachmann DCC sound Loco?

Postby Steamingon » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:08 pm

I bought a Bachmann DCC sound Loco, now I'm thinking will my Hornby Select work it? It was updated about a year ago.

Mountain

Re: Hornby Select Controller with Bachmann DCC sound Loco?

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:29 pm

While I hve never used a Select, I can answer the question based on my experience using Lenz controllers.

My Lenz system is an older system but it is still pretty decent, as when one looks at DCC technology, there is only a few directions it can go in. Now I also have a Lenz Compact which I first bought to try out DCC which is somewhat similar to the Select. The Compact can only control three functions. I used to have a Bachmann DCC sound class 37, and it ran on the Compact with no problems, though it could only switch lights on and off and access two of thw DCC sounds. One can program which sounds one wants to access, though I may have done this programming on the better Lenz system I have (The set 01).
So though one is limited to how many sounds one can access due to only have so many functions available on ones controller, one can pick with sounds one can access via programming them, and if ones controller will not do this, one can take it to a friends more adanced controller and they can do it for you. I selected lights, engine on off sound and one of the horns as the first three functions so even my Compact I could use it. My better system was designed before DCC sound but even with that, only two more minor sounds I could not get so I chose which two sounds were not so important for me to use and I programmed it so I could get all the others.

I hope that helps. Some who are more experienced can add more, especially Select users.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:51 pm

To Start I don't have a newer Select - the latest model has access to more CV's.
So back in 2009 I only had a select and operated two different Bachmann sound diesels.
A class 37, and a class 25, and with these older sound models I could switch sound on/off;
Lighting on/off, separate cab light on/off, plus the Horn that had 2 different settings. I
can't remember playing with anything else at the time.

I got along O.K with it, but as you'll know you can't adjust the various CV's, like changing
the volume settings of your sound output and things like that. However as a basic controller
it should function O.K. I have since obtained a Digitrax system that I find easier, particularly
with steam where there are so many different features. full read-back and full adjustment
to any CV's.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Steamingon

Postby Steamingon » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:56 pm

Thank you 'Mountain' & Dad-1.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:53 pm

Your Select starts up with a series of three, two digit numbers. The very first pair displayed are the Selects firmware version. If it shows 16 or 20 then its at the very latest firmware. These offer the ability to set and adjust CVs plus allow far more sounds to play on sound fitted locos.

If it shows less than 1.6 or 2.0 consider contacting Hornby and requesting a returns / repair number and then once that is obtained return the Select to Hornby Service Dept. They will upgrade it to firmware 1.6 or 2.0 and return it to you (usually within two weeks). The last I heard was Hornby charge around £15 plus VAT for this upgrade including return P & P You pay P & P to send it to them.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:03 pm

Actually £15 is very reasonable. I looked into upgrading my Lenz and Lenz was wanting close to £90 and the upgrades did away with some useful features to add about four or five extra functions to the 13 or 14 functions I already have so it was not worth paying out so much for an upgrade on what is essentially a bit of a gimick, as the first so many sounds are whistle or horn and engine sounds with the first being lights.... But beyone that, hearing the guard stir his tea or the driver blowing his nose are features I would rather do without. :D

So £15 + vat sounds like a bargain to me!

Steamingon

Postby Steamingon » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:27 pm

Thanks for all the information.

I received the loco yesterday. I put it on my isolated track & apart from the light it did not work. However when I placed it on my main tracks it worked fine. It does everything, all the sounds , light on off, so very pleased with it.

I'm just a bit confused why my isolating track has problems. It is the Hornby power track with two other tracks. It works most things, but I had problems with a Hornby DCC sound Flying Scotsman, & this loco, any ideas?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:38 pm

By isolated track you mean your programming track?

It is probably that the control system just concentrates on programming when on the programming track and does the rest when on the normal runningtrack? I am guessing.

I would have to try mine to see if Lenz does the same. I really can't remember. I don't think locos will run on the programming track. I do have access with mine to program on the main (POM), but if I need to change the loco address it has to be on the programming track because otherwize if I try to change the loco address on the main track (If it was possible) then every single loco on the track will also be changed to the same address!

Steamingon

Postby Steamingon » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:03 pm

Mountain wrote:By isolated track you mean your programming track?

It is probably that the control system just concentrates on programming when on the programming track and does the rest when on the normal runningtrack? I am guessing.

I would have to try mine to see if Lenz does the same. I really can't remember. I don't think locos will run on the programming track. I do have access with mine to program on the main (POM), but if I need to change the loco address it has to be on the programming track because otherwize if I try to change the loco address on the main track (If it was possible) then every single loco on the track will also be changed to the same address!

Yes, Programming Track. As I say I have the power track with two other rails connected. I dissconnect the controller from my main track, & connect it in the same way to the programme track.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:45 pm

The Select doesn't have a dedicated Programming output.
For Programming a loco I recommended you have an Isolated section of track Isolated from the main line tracks via two opposite each other Insulated Rail Joiners replacing the metal joiners (This is the Programming track). Then feed the rails of that section from the Track output and also to a DPST or a DPDT switch. The job of the switch is to disconnect the feed to the layouts main rails to stop accidental programming of locos on the main tracks. Set the switch so as the main line tracks are disconnected, on the Select you then go to the Programming mode and do whatever you need to do - Alter address etc. Once programming is completed you return the Select to its normal operation mode and flip the switch back to normal running position. Both main tracks and the programming track are then feed together with DCC.

In the drawing attached if you do not have a DCC Bus pair of wires then consider the "Bus" as the main line rails. :D
Programming Track.jpg
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Steamingon

Postby Steamingon » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:57 am

Flashbang wrote:The Select doesn't have a dedicated Programming output.
For Programming a loco I recommended you have an Isolated section of track Isolated from the main line tracks via two opposite each other Insulated Rail Joiners replacing the metal joiners (This is the Programming track). Then feed the rails of that section from the Track output and also to a DPST or a DPDT switch. The job of the switch is to disconnect the feed to the layouts main rails to stop accidental programming of locos on the main tracks. Set the switch so as the main line tracks are disconnected, on the Select you then go to the Programming mode and do whatever you need to do - Alter address etc. Once programming is completed you return the Select to its normal operation mode and flip the switch back to normal running position. Both main tracks and the programming track are then feed together with DCC.

In the drawing attached if you do not have a DCC Bus pair of wires then consider the "Bus" as the main line rails. :D
Programming Track.jpg

Thanks for the reply & diagram. Yes I know what to do regarding an isolating switch. I haven't got round to it yet, but I will.

As I say, in the meantime I just disconnect the lead from the controller to my main line, & connect it to the separate track in order to program the loco's. It worked with 8 loco's no problem, but it is strange it didn't work with the 'Hornby DCC sound Flying Scotsman', & the new Bachmann loco.

Again thanks for your help.

RAF96

Postby RAF96 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:41 am

Presumably you are programming addresses within the loco range 1-59 and not going into the points range of 61-99 or trying to use a long address.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester

Return to “DCC Forum”