my train takes ages to stop

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Mark19

my train takes ages to stop

Post by Mark19 »

have a bought brand new Bachmann class 37 (3 months old ) with factory fitted sound decoder ESU 5 which I think is great but I cant get it to slow down any quicker it takes two circuits of my 8 x 4 layout to stop and I would like to get the speed up a tiny bit.

as I am new to dcc I have read the manuals for both train and decoder downloaded from ESU I have tried changing CV 4 but it has no effect on anything but to be honest anything I change has any affect so what am I doing wrong I have read lots of post and watched videos where you just change the value via the programming track using a sprogg and JMRI Decoder Pro or such like and things change but not for me it seems.

I have uploaded some attachments of my CV setting now I have moved CV 4 to the extremes but nothing happens sos set it back to the original of 21.

So what am I doing wrong please
Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 12.12.40.png
Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 12.13.59.png
Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 12.14.22.png
Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 12.15.15.png
Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 12.16.47.png
Ironduke

Re: my train takes ages to stop

Post by Ironduke »

Have you tried setting the decoder to defaults?
Regards
Rob
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

It's a sound decoder. These often have the CV3 and CV4 values factory set to enable the sounds to be played properly, and are possibly 'locked' in some way to prevent accidental change? Need to read your decoder manual to see if that's the case, and how to 'unlock' if that's what you want to do.

ESU decoders at one time used function 4 (F4) to disable CV3 and CV4. Get your model running then select F4 and then reduce speed to step 0 see if it enables you to make it stop more rapidly. The sound effects will probably be either cockeyed or non-existent if this works...
Mark19

Post by Mark19 »

thanks for your help
SRman

Post by SRman »

Current Bachmann sound projects are on Zimo decoders, I think. At least some recent sound projects for Zimo have a brake function. I have a Bachmann Collectors Club London Underground class 20 with such sound, delivered yesterday so I am still getting to grips with it, but one thing it does have is the brake on F2. To slow it down more rapidly, repeatedly press and release F2 on your controller. For an emergency braking application, press and hold F2 (assuming it is non-latching).

There should be a list of functions and their keys in the box. a good read through that may also alert you to a few other bells and whistles (pun intended!), possibly including a drive lock/hold function, where you can set your speed then hold it to that while throttling the engine sounds up or down.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Just incase you may not have taken this into account, but the Bachmann class 37 also has flywheels so stopping wont be immediate like it can be with some other models out there.

But yes. If you can set both the inertia and the back EMF to 0 or 1 (If 0 is not an option) they can usually solve this issue.
I can't recall directly which CV's these are but they will be listed and labelled what they are in the decoders information that came with the loco. (If not look at another loco as it will be the same CV number on other decoders as well).

I hope this helps. The charts you put up do not show what the CV's do. You need a list of what the CV's actually do so you can change the right CV settings. I mention this because sometimes one has more then just one CV to make a difference, which is why I mentioned to change the back EMF as well just incase it is that. (One can always put it back to its last setting if it does not work).