Surrey DCC repairer

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
pebble

Surrey DCC repairer

Post by pebble »

Can anyone tell me where in Surrey I can get a Bauchman DCC DMU checked over. I am a beginner, only have this loco,
and bought it as "DCC ready" on ebay.
I am in Surrey
Ironduke

Re: Surrey DCC repairer

Post by Ironduke »

"DCC Ready" means it has a socket for a DCC decoder but it does not have a decoder installed.
What is it that you need repaired?
Regards
Rob
pebble

Post by pebble »

I think you have answered my question - I thought I needed someone to check it over - all the track is fine on the layout, & I made a programme track too, the Prodigy DCC controller works ok.
thanks so much I misunderstood what "dcc ready" meant !

I will need to get a decoder then; this is an amazing learning curve .... I suspect this is another minefield !
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

pebble wrote:I think you have answered my question - I thought I needed someone to check it over - all the track is fine on the layout, & I made a programme track too, the Prodigy DCC controller works ok.
thanks so much I misunderstood what "dcc ready" meant !

I will need to get a decoder then; this is an amazing learning curve .... I suspect this is another minefield !
Yes you will need a decoder to run the loco on the PA or PE systems. You will also have to obtain a decoder with the matching locos connection detail and of a size that fits inside the locos space. Many Bachmann locos use a 21 pin decoder but do check before purchasing one.

There are basically three types of loco sold..
Not DCC ReadyUsually older locos that have to have the conversion to DCC hard wired in

DCC Ready As sold the loco only runs on DC (Analogue) But has a socket fitted inside and into the socket ass sold is a DC operation plug Called a Blanking Plug. This when converting to DCC is removed and kept safe and the chosen decoder plugged into where the Blanking plug was removed.

DCC Fitted or DCC On Board The loco as sold has a DCC Decoder fitted and can usually run on both DC and DCC power.
It will have a socket inside and the decoder an be changed if required by simply unplugging the original one and installing a new one - Sound decoder upgrade would be a typical example.

As I stated above there are a variety of DCC sockets fitted to locos. 4, 6, 8 and 21 pin plus Next and PluX types.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

pebble wrote:... I misunderstood what "dcc ready" meant ! ...
Not a bit of it, at the time this term was introduced there were protests that it was misleading. What was wrong with 'DCC decoder socket', because that's the reality?
pebble wrote:... I will need to get a decoder then; this is an amazing learning curve ...
Is this still the N gauge project you posted on in January?
If so the model probably has a six pin fitting, and Bachmann have a badged six pin Zimo product in their range.
https://www.bachmann.co.uk/product/6-pi ... AE/36-568a
Or you could go to a dealer stocking Zimo, and there's this.
https://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/z ... uge/mx617n