technical help on wiring for DCC

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
pebble

technical help on wiring for DCC

Post by pebble »

I am a total beginner and starting an N gauge 4' x 2' layout to learn the basics.
Is there a company that provides a service in looking at one's proposed layout and advising on the correct wiring set up (I would like to avoid damaging anything from short circuits !!! ) and on the correct DCC controller ?
Bigmet

Re: technical help on wiring for DCC

Post by Bigmet »

The advice on the layout wiring plan: that's the kind of help you might expect from the good model railway shop from which the track etc. was purchased. That business should have an interest in your making a go of it. And you can ask here too, there's good knowledge available.

There is no 'correct' DCC system, any more than there is a correct TV, correct car, correct chair: however much some obsessives might try to persuade you otherwise. What you should look for is the one that suits you best for your available budget. It's worth getting 'hands on' as the control interface is very much a matter of taste; and what with this being a hobby and all, the one you find most enjoyable to use which will encourage you to operate the layout matters.
Flashbang

Re: technical help on wiring for DCC

Post by Flashbang »

pebble wrote:I am a total beginner and starting an N gauge 4' x 2' layout to learn the basics.
Is there a company that provides a service in looking at one's proposed layout and advising on the correct wiring set up (I would like to avoid damaging anything from short circuits !!! ) and on the correct DCC controller ?
Hi and welcome to the forum.

In reverse order... DCC Console - Its all down to you. First comes your budget that will govern what's available. Then you need to decide on how you want to operate your layout - Desk console, Hand hand, PC or Tablet etc Then things like power available to track, ability to read and write all CVs, All Functions available (F0 to F28) and all address numbers (1 to 9999) or just some of these. There is no Best DCC system its what suits you. :) Be a little wary of some retailers who will try and sell you the system(s) they stock and they may not offer or be able to offer advice on other systems not stocked by them.

DCC should not be damaged by a short circuit, though I can understand your concern. DCC systems have extremely fast operating overload cut-outs and are many times faster operating than most conventional DC controller will have. Example... A spark seen from a metal wheel touching opposing rails as a loco etc passes over a point on a DC powered layout usually doesn't cause a trip. On a DCC layout the system will cut out immediately. :o

No company as such that I know of for design and wiring advice. You should get good advice on here or contact a web site owner and ask them. But track design is very personal. Wiring can be as simple as two wires to the rails or as much as you want to improve operations.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.