Flying Scotsman. Add DCC sound etc.

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
Steamingon

Flying Scotsman. Add DCC sound etc.

Post by Steamingon »

Hi I have the Flying Scotsman R1152 train set. I have recently bought the DCC Sound decoderR8106. When I went to install it I noticed the speaker would not fit into the engine. So looking on the internet I ended up with a sugar cube speaker. Having got it I notice it does not have a little plastic surround. Can I fit the little speaker without a surround? Any advice please.
RAF96

Re: Flying Scotsman. Add DCC sound etc.

Post by RAF96 »

For best acoustic quality a speaker needs the front of the speaker cone isolated from the back of the speaker cone. This is what the plastic enclosures are for, but even then you need to seal the driver into the box, including where the wires come out.

You can fit a speaker ‘naked’ but the sound will be tinny and likely to crackle.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Steamingon

Post by Steamingon »

Thanks for your help. So I wonder why the speakers are supplied without a box. Now I have to get a separate box, I have seen speakers with boxes but not boxes on their own. Is there a place I can buy just the box?
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

What supplier did the Sugar Cube speaker come from?
All of mine have always been supplied in a container.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Steamingon

Post by Steamingon »

It was 'Roads & rails' on ebay.Just under £6-00 with postage. The picture shows what I got. Is it possible to make your own container?
Screenshot_2020-12-22 15x11 Sugar Cube Speaker For DCC Sound Decoder 8 Ohm 1 Watt, Tsunami, Econami eBay.png
Paul-H

Post by Paul-H »

For a good range of speakers have a look at the many option the likes of Youchoos sells, most come fitted with the baffle box. The one the op bought can be used as a replacement should one with a box fail so it worth keeping just in case
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

You can easily make your own baffle box from platicard, glue and Blu-Tac.
Pete.
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Steamingon wrote:Thanks for your help. So I wonder why the speakers are supplied without a box. Now I have to get a separate box, I have seen speakers with boxes but not boxes on their own. Is there a place I can buy just the box?
on their "proper" website they do mention that the speaker comes without an enclosure
https://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk/colle ... aker-8-ohm
A pity they don't mention that on the ebay store.

It looks like they don't sell a separate enclosure.

Are you trying to install the speaker into the tender?
Regards
Rob
Steamingon

Post by Steamingon »

Ironduke wrote:
Steamingon wrote:Thanks for your help. So I wonder why the speakers are supplied without a box. Now I have to get a separate box, I have seen speakers with boxes but not boxes on their own. Is there a place I can buy just the box?
on their "proper" website they do mention that the speaker comes without an enclosure
https://www.roads-and-rails.co.uk/colle ... aker-8-ohm
A pity they don't mention that on the ebay store.

It looks like they don't sell a separate enclosure.

Are you trying to install the speaker into the tender?

Thanks Paul-H & pete.

I think the speaker with the decoder will fit in the tender, with lead extention, but I really wanted sound from the loco. I think I will try & make a little speaker container. Thanks all for your help.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Don't struggle to get it in the loco, most people would have to close their eye's to locate the source as being in the tender. The better the sound quality the more your brain tells you it's coming from the loco. If possible you could fit a second, small speaker without a baffle in the vicinity of the cylinders just to put out the hissing sounds, they are the ones most easily located.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

With the speaker in the tender I would make a "baffle" (put simply, a rectangle with a hole in it) and glue the speaker to that
then fit the baffle in under the coal bunker so that it seals to the walls of the tender with the speaker facing upwards. The tender becomes the speaker box.
Then (or prior) cut out the plastic coal and replace it with a piece of black porous sponge foam or "scotch pad", cut to the shape of a pile of coal, with some granular "coal" glued onto it.
So the coal bunker is the face of the speaker box and the coal is the speaker cover.
Alternatively drill a lot of tiny holes into the plastic coal.

That's what I'd try anyway... depends on the tender :?
Regards
Rob
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Oddly these small flat speakers work very well ‘firing’ face down into a sealed box. As stated easily made out of plastic-card. I use a length of 25mm square box section from Homebase sliced into 25 mm long boxes, with plastic-card lids and bottoms.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Steamingon

Post by Steamingon »

Well I have fitted the decoder & the speaker is sorted out, but when I went to put the cab back on I notice the black wire to the back of the loco has come off. I think it is the extra drive pickup conection from the tender. My set has a separate tender & loco, that connects when the loco is placed over a conection to the tender. I can't see where to solder it back on, & can't find a diagram. My Scotsman is from the R1152 DCC ready set, around 2011.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

There are two wires on the tender connector loco side. One wire is on the V shaped contacts and the other on the fingers. If you still have one wire connected then the missing ones position is where your black wire connects onto. :D

Assuming this is your loco?
Service sheet.jpg
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Steamingon

Post by Steamingon »

Thank you 'Flashbang' I will take a look tomorrow.