EZ Command problem - Pease Help

Post all your DCC only problems, solutions and discoverys here.
End2end

Re: EZ Command problem - Pease Help

Post by End2end »

JohnDisdle wrote:It gives me time to sort out some wiring problems, so i'm not redundant...
I missed this, sorry. So do you have a DCC bus with droppers from the bus to the track? If so are they ALL correct. It's easy to get a set of droppers crossed. I know. I've done it. :lol:
Thnaks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
JohnDisdle

Post by JohnDisdle »

Hi Bigmet.

I can't get as far as that. The red LED is the stop LED. It lights when there is a short, or points are set wrong. It's also used in setting a new address, but nothing works, so I can't do anything.
Roger (RJ)

Post by Roger (RJ) »

The LED is supposed to flash at certain times. See user manual https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... nubcRU_f3B
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

Hi John,

Did you send it back ?
If you did their 15 days is nearly up, have you heard anything back?

Geoff T.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Sent you a PM John.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

To all of you who have posted recently...
The EZ Command was returned to Bachmann and then returned back by the owner with Bachmann saying "NO FAULT FOUND"!

The OP says, with nothing connected to the output terminals, the system is still not working. Therefore there is nothing track wise or connection from the unit to the rails, that can be causing a problem.

I find it very strange that Bachmann have tested it and found no defect, yet the OP still has a problem. Hence my double checking on Page 1 of this topic, asking the OP to ensure nothing is connected to the EZ Command other than the power unit, which the OP confirms is also the original one.

#John... Was this power supply along with the EZ unit returned to Bachmann?
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
Suzie

Post by Suzie »

Just a quick question here, with the light not flashing, can you control a loco on Number 10?

The E-Z Command comes with an assortment of cables which can be plugged in incorrectly. It is important that the cables go in to the correct sockets.
JohnDisdle

Post by JohnDisdle »

Hi End2end.
Thanks for your message, but I am going to get something else. All points are electrofrog. All track droppers are correct, also cables. I have been able to use the layout previous to this controller fault.

The PSU was returned with the unit, as requested by Bachmann.
No. 10 is to control an analogue loco, and I don't have one. The red LED is either on, or flashing, and no loco will move at all.

Thanks for all your replies.
JohnDisdle

Post by JohnDisdle »

I decided to buy a new controller. I had looked at the prodigy versions, and thought the Express would be best for me. Everywhere seems to be out of stock, so I e-mailed my local shop, Great Eastern Models.
They only had the Prodigy 2 at a discount price. I thought about it, and my bank manager said I could have it as an early Christmas present. It was delivered Tuesday evening. They do really go that extra mile.
I set it up, but no loco moved. Checked everything was correct, but still nothing. I put a meter on the track, and no volts. So I tried the programming track output, and got 13volts. Connected my track to the Program track, and the loco moves very nicely, with sound as well. I don't know know if this will work long term, but contacting the shop, I expect a call today, to probably return it for repair.
But it is a very nice unit, although I shall not need all the bells and whistles.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

I reads to me more that you need to look at your layout wiring or how the points are installed, more so if any are Electrofrog. Check all rail feeds connect to the same rails e.g. all output rail are to the same connection. If one (or more) is crossed you will get a short and failure of the system.

So with the 4 way Green rear plug removed from the base station of the PA2 and then it powered up, does the display come on?
Then what happens when you refit the green plug???
JohnDisdle

Post by JohnDisdle »

Hi Flashbang
Thanks for your reply.

A bit of a mystery this morning, as no loco running when left connected to the program track overnight. There is also no volts present either.

However there is now 13 volts on the main track, and the loco is running ok. So the unit is faulty.
The layout wiring is all fine. It was working before the EZ went faulty. The loco has been running this morning on the main track connection, without any problems.
When I remove the green plug and switch the base unit on, the display lights ok. Refit the green plug, and all is as it was before. Loco works fine.

I am feeling a little frustrated. Digital control seems to be a mess. I think I should have bought a Meccano set instead.
End2end

Post by End2end »

Don't quote me on this but doesn't track power turn off when the programming track is selected? Thus no main track power.
I'm sure my controller does this.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
JohnDisdle

Post by JohnDisdle »

Hi End2end.

It's back in the box, so I can't check. But that would make sense. When I first switched on, should it automatically have been in main track mode then. But there was no volts on the track.
The manual says the program track is un-powered, and decoders can only be programmed and read but not run on this output. But mine was powered.
It does not tell you if there is any indication that you are on the main track. Pressing the Prog key, and it says Prog, so you know.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

JohnDisdle wrote:Hi End2end.
<Snip>
It does not tell you if there is any indication that you are on the main track. Pressing the Prog key, and it says Prog, so you know.
Yes there is!... It says "Loco" and "Direction" wanting you to enter a loco address number and says which way the loco will travel!

In Programming mode you cannot run a loco on the Programming track as the current available is vastly reduced when in Programming mode.

To enable a loco to move on the Programming track you would have to connect the programming tracks rails to the main Track terminals. BUT THIS MUST NOT BE DONE WHEN THE RAILS ARE CONNECTED TO THE PROGRAMMING TERMINALS! Failure to observe this would probably result in blowing the units Programming output!

Programming tracks should ideally always be a totally separate piece of track. Once programmed the loco is lifted off and placed onto the main lines and run under its address number. That said, there are means of switching the rails of the Programming track between main and programming features via a switch, But at this stage I would highly recommend you keep the programming track as a totally separate piece of track and feed it only from the Programming terminals of the base unit.

I've been using a PA2 for years and never had a problem. Its very robust, but does take a bit of user understanding, as it offers a huge selection of options.

There are four connections on the Green plug on the rear of the base unit. Two are for main track power and the other two are for the dedicated programming tracks rails. Ensure you have them correctly wired. On no account allow one pair to connect to the other pair.

The PA2 can programme on both the Programming track and also on the main so be sure you have selected Programming track.
JohnDisdle

Post by JohnDisdle »

Hi End2end.
You are correct, I remember seeing that screen now.
There is obviously a strange fault with it. The tracks changed overnight, and I think this will be a manufacturing repair.
It was picked up last night, and will be looked at this morning, but I don't have much hope of seeing it this side of the weekend.